Overclock.net banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Did some more work on the build last night.

I have the 30w per channel lampton touch fan controller than I am going to use to control all fans. Channel 1 will be all my case fans, channel 2 will be rad 1 push fans, channel 3 will be rad 1 pull fans, etc...... I am going to solder each channel's fan wires together into one plug. I had to extend every case GT's wires to reach a central solder point. The pic below is with one extended GT left unsleeved to illustrate what I am taking about. You can also see in the pic all the controller plugs that I will eventually solder all my computers fans too -

fansleeve1.jpg

I used red wire to extend all the GTs wires, so I had to make some kind of mark to designate each wire once it was sleeved. Below is how I did that -

fansleeve2.jpg

Here are all the case fans ready to be soldered to the controller plug wire, that will have to wait for another day -

fansleeve3.jpg

I took a break from soldering to flush the rads. Below is a strainer with a paper towel in it that I used to pour all the rad flush water into. It caught all the crap coming out so that I could gauge when the rad was completely empty of crud -

radflush.jpg

One rad ready to flush -

radflush2.jpg

Now that the rad was flushed and the case fan was sleeved I was ready to mount the external rad. Here is a pic of the external custom rad mount half way done -

radmount.jpg

All the way done -

radmount2.jpg

Here is a pic explaining what is going on with the mount -

radmount3.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
ubernoob here,

Pulkpull - can you tell me where I could find those parts you used to make up the radiator mounts? Great idea by the way!

Very cool build, btw!
thanks!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by millius
View Post

ubernoob here,

Pulkpull - can you tell me where I could find those parts you used to make up the radiator mounts? Great idea by the way!

Very cool build, btw!
thanks!

McMaster Carr. AWESOME website for H/W needs.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have been a bad build logger

I am still changing the original build concept around. I swapped the ud5 for a Asus Deluxe. I am getting 55c max at 23c ambient at 4.8Ghz HT on at 1.31v 12hr prime blend stable (I will post up some screenies when I get my build back up and running). The build is down at the moment because I decided to swap to compression fittings, add a drain port, and mod up a custom pump mount. Pics of the custom pump mount below.... expect a full build update with pics sometime later this week/weekend.

I wanted the bottom of the mcp355 to be able to breathe, there are reports of it overheating when mounted flush to either the case or a vibration dampener. So I came up with the following, the pics should explain it pretty well.

All mounted up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PulkPull
View Post

I bought the clear shrouds because of 2 reasons. 1st, they are 20mm. Which according to a test done by Martin is almost the best depth for shrouds.

actually no...

Quote:

Optimal depth appears to be somewhere around 30mm +-, this is likely to depend on hub diameter and RPM to some extent.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/martins-liqu...d-testing.html

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
View Post

actually no...

http://www.clunk.org.uk/martins-liqu...d-testing.html

Whilst he (Martin) has done some nice testing, there is no way from his results you can say that 30mm is any better than 20mm or even 10mm shrouds (or 40-50mm shrouds for that matter). He just doesn't have enough data points, and because of that he really shouldn't have added any curves to his plots, since he doesn't have the data points to back them up. He also doesn't mention how he does the temperature measurements (his links doesn't work for me), nor how accurate and calibrated his kit is. Which all means there is no way you can possibly say that 20mm is not 'nearly optimal', as you don't have the figures to back it up either way. Anything from 10-50mm is 'nearly optimal' from the data presented. And even that is pushing it - you'd have a hard time convincing someone who knew what they were doing that the results from his testing were significant at all.

All you can

21 - 32 of 32 Posts