Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a friend a computer and she is not happy because she has no idea about computers. She is stressing due to the fact that she is moving away and that I wont be around to fix it if it breaks. She thinks that Dell would provide better service and that she should sell the current Rig and get a laptop. I said thats fine do what you want with it, but you are not going to get a computer any where near as good as the one I built for the price you paid.
Spec: 3700+ Abit NU8 mobo 512 ram 80GB hard drive Seven in one media card reader w/ Floppy 52X CDRW drive, Ultra Xconnect 400W power supply an ATI 9600 Xtasy video card 19 inch LCD monitor. Total cost out of her pocket was between 600-800 with the monitor.This is all brand new aside from the video card
Her biggest dilemma is that she is COMPLETELY CLULESS about computers and thinks that with out me there then all things are gonna go to poop. What is your take on this should I ebay the brand new never been used comp, or what? Any ideas what to charge for a system like that?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
i would charge cost + 15-20%.... or try to educate her on how to maintain a computer, spyware,virus protection,annual defrag and clean ups, and she shound never experience any problems with it unless it is hardware related...

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Well, if she is worried about service, tell her to buy a Dell. Its that simple. When it comes down to it, customes are really only good for people who know how to fix them when they break.

• Rep+
Reactions: jatw

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
Well, if she is worried about service, tell her to buy a Dell. Its that simple. When it comes down to it, customes are really only good for people who know how to fix them when they break.
Thats true, but what can Dell do in terms of service for a person that really doesnt have a clue about computers and doesn't have anytime to learn. I can easily teach her somethings, but I think it comes down to is the frustration overall by a computer breaking. Oh well, anyone elses input greatly appreciated kinda disspapointed after building this computer that she turns around and says this now, but thats aside from the point.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1
women..... cant live with them, but cant live without them

HAHAHHA true that! I was looking on Ebay though and similar systems are going for a bit over a grand without any monitor. Although they slighlty differ i think at least I can makea small profit off this I guess. The computer is brand new after all. Oh well, I guess maybe I should have told her to buy a Dell in the first place, but I was trying to be nice and get her something way way better than the pices of :turd: . the monitor is 19" LCD so that will tac on a few hundred extra.......

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Wow, you paid 800 for a computer like that...is it just me or is that expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya and something that will also help it sell and appeal to buyers is if you would just add another 512 of ram, u did say it only had 512, 1 gig will appeal much better,so if you sell it w/ the monitor maybe ask $1400-$1600... just a geustimate

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerand
Wow, you paid 800 for a computer like that...is it just me or is that expensive.
This included a 19 inch LCD monitor. I am not sure but that seems pretty decent to me. I mean its not the best rig, but for the price and an operating system thats pretty decent.....no?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
yes that is a great price... and your gonna make some extra spending money when you sell it on ebay or wherever....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

ya and something that will also help it sell and appeal to buyers is if you would just add another 512 of ram, u did say it only had 512, 1 gig will appeal much better,so if you sell it w/ the monitor maybe ask $1400-$1600... just a geustimate
Yea thats a great point I didnt think of that. I was thinking about doing like 1200-1300 thats more than enough money for her to profit off doing nothing.......*sigh* women.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

buy it off her for cost, then sell it and make the profit for yourself....

Thats not a bad idea. I'll throw it up on ebay in a day or two and see if it sells. I hope it does.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

im sure it will.... its a good gaming pc, and list how well it will OC to...

True I pretty much ahve the same set up, larger HD and better cooling/ram, but it plays everything I like really well. I was also reading the MOBO manual and it does have some tips on optimizing your OC in it, so its pretty capable. At this point I just got it up and running. I was thinking about taking the processor and throwing mine in that one, but I like my mobile chip for the good temp control and the core is much better. I am just worried about the warranty on the parts. I have all boxes and manuals and all recepts, so that shouldnt be a problem I don't think. Shoot I just thought about something the O.S> is registered in her name think that will be an issue?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
i think if you contact microsoft they can transer the registration and stuff, and maybe uninstall windows and have them do it? im not to sure about that...

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
I’ve been down this road before, building people computers. If the person has no clue, most likely they are going to become spyware infected every 6 months or install too much crap on their computer and ask you for help all the time. Most the these types of people don’t care about specs and its hard to beat those $500 Dells for a computer that just works. They are really quiet and Dell will handle all the support.

So I only build systems now for people that have some idea about computers. Definintely sell the computer and tell her to get a pre-built one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank

I’ve been down this road before, building people computers. If the person has no clue, most likely they are going to become spyware infected every 6 months or install too much crap on their computer and ask you for help all the time. Most the these types of people don’t care about specs and its hard to beat those $500 Dells for a computer that just works. They are really quiet and Dell will handle all the support.

So I only build systems now for people that have some idea about computers. Definintely sell the computer and tell her to get a pre-built one.

Yea more than likely what I am gonna do....oh well to bad she had a nice rig for less than half of what Dell/HP any of those guys would charge...and it runs perfect HAHA some people just have no time.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatw

Yea more than likely what I am gonna do....oh well to bad she had a nice rig for less than half of what Dell/HP any of those guys would charge...and it runs perfect HAHA some people just have no time.

so i geuss this is your opportunity to make a quick 300-400$$$, buy it back off her at cost then sell it on ebay...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

so i geuss this is your opportunity to make a quick 300-400$$$, buy it back off her at cost then sell it on ebay...

Yep thats what I am going to do. Thank you all it is good to vent this kinda frustrated me, but it seems that its a good opportunity to make some money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts