Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extensive research and A LOT OF BENCHMARK VIEWS later, i've decided to take the plunge. Going to get me a BD build as my primary gaming system. According to the Guru3d benchmarks, it didn't do half bad against the 2500k and almost matched at par with the i7-2600k when oc'd...ALMOST. So here's my proposed build.

P.s- To all Intel trolls out there, if bagging on my build is the only thing on the table, then please keep out. There's nothing you could say about BD that would surprise me. I know about all the negativity surrounding it as well as it's strengths and weaknesses. I already know it's not as good as the 2500k. That being said, lets move on:

Fx 8150

Cooler Master HAF 932

Corsair AX1200W

G.skill Ripjaws F3-14900CL9Q-8GBXL @ 1866 Mhz

Asus Crosshair V Formula

XFX Radeon HD 6990

Cooler Master V10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Let us know how it works out. I am curious about microstutter with the new AMD chips.
 

·
Agressive Perfector
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
I'd go with a Corsair H80 or H100. Those things just get too damn hot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
idk man the 8150 might bottleneck your 6990, I'm waiting for the 2nd gen BD so AMD has time to work out their failings

that being said, I don't think an BD would impact gaming in any significant way since it's the GPU that does most of the work.

Good Luck on your build
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by InterestedThirdParty
View Post

idk man the 8150 might bottleneck your 6990, I'm waiting for the 2nd gen BD so AMD has time to work out their failings

that being said, I don't think an BD would impact gaming in any significant way since it's the GPU that does most of the work.

Good Luck on your build

I kinda figured that. Plan to keep it at 4.7 Ghz or even try pushing it to 5. might switch over to watercooling for that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by IXcrispyXI
View Post

u could go less on the psu unless ur going to xfire latter

Originally planned on quad x-firing 2 6990's but that would bottleneck the crap outta the system.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,698 Posts
Horrible case, much better newer options out there. Overkill PSU, you would be fine with 650 watts. V10 is not that great for what it is. Corsair A70 is on sale right now for $24 AR.

Other than that I'm jealous! I want BD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by PunkX 1
View Post

Originally planned on quad x-firing 2 6990's but that would bottleneck the crap outta the system.

wow, what are you? made of money, lol


I agree with some of the other posters, a H100 would be a better choice than a V10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts
I'd get the AX850 and a different board since it has been proven that the Asus and Gigabyte boards slow down BD even more. Honestly though... If you're getting such a high-end build, ditch bulldozer. All the review that tested with multi-gpu setups saw a HUGE bottleneck. The truth is, that was a server CPU and it will perform like a champion in servers but the architecture is not a good one for the consumer market since it's good for highly-threaded workloads and our softwares are not. The V10 is a piece of crap BTW. Either a NH-D14 or a Corsair H100/H80. For the case, I'd try to get the HAF 932 Black Edition, it's a much nicer case IMO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by InterestedThirdParty
View Post

wow, what are you? made of money, lol


I agree with some of the other posters, a H100 would be a better choice than a V10

Lol no
. Been saving up for a year now. Crapped my pants when it hit retail. Made up my mind of owning one. Hell i saved up for two!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
You're probably gonna tell me to go away, but you'd be better off buying a Deneb or a Thuban for gaming.

Edit: Whoops, noticed you already own one. Sadly, I'd expect less perf. than what you have now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Snowmen
View Post

I'd get the AX850 and a different board since it has been proven that the Asus and Gigabyte boards slow down BD even more. Honestly though... If you're getting such a high-end build, ditch bulldozer. All the review that tested with multi-gpu setups saw a HUGE bottleneck. The truth is, that was a server CPU and it will perform like a champion in servers but the architecture is not a good one for the consumer market since it's good for highly-threaded workloads and our softwares are not. The V10 is a piece of crap BTW. Either a NH-D14 or a Corsair H100/H80. For the case, I'd try to get the HAF 932 Black Edition, it's a much nicer case IMO.

First Intel owner i came across who finally pointed out the positives in BD without trolling or being biased. Rep +
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity
View Post

You're probably gonna tell me to go away, but you'd be better off buying a Deneb or a Thuban for gaming.

Edit: Whoops, noticed you already own one. Sadly, I'd expect less perf. than what you have now.

I'm considering waiting for the 2nd revision of BD. Might just keep the cpu i have and oc the crap outta it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
I'd like to see how potential scheduler optimizations in Windows 8 and Linux might affect Bulldozer performance. Before then I think it's best to refrain from passing final judgment.
 

·
H20 only!
Joined
·
348 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity
View Post

You're probably gonna tell me to go away, but you'd be better off buying a Deneb or a Thuban for gaming.

Edit: Whoops, noticed you already own one. Sadly, I'd expect less perf. than what you have now.

This is not true. With exception to very few games only. And on some of these games are the ones where the odd ball PhenomII 980 comes out on top VS all of both AMDs and Intels offerings of higher end cpus.

Hopefully the OP spent enough time to know this as well. Because you need to go back to lurking and learning before talking again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by PunkX 1
View Post

After extensive research and A LOT OF BENCHMARK VIEWS later, i've decided to take the plunge. Going to get me a BD build as my primary gaming system. According to the Guru3d benchmarks, it didn't do half bad against the 2500k and almost matched at par with the i7-2600k when oc'd...ALMOST. So here's my proposed build.

P.s- To all Intel trolls out there, if bagging on my build is the only thing on the table, then please keep out. There's nothing you could say about BD that would surprise me. I know about all the negativity surrounding it as well as it's strengths and weaknesses. I already know it's not as good as the 2500k. That being said, lets move on:

Fx 8150

Cooler Master HAF 932

Corsair AX1200W

G.skill Ripjaws F3-14900CL9Q-8GBXL @ 1866 Mhz

Asus Crosshair V Formula

XFX Radeon HD 6990

Cooler Master V10

Don't go with a V10. If you want to stay with air cooling, TR Silver Arrow or Noctua NH-D14 are your best bets. If you want to spend a little more, H100 is a good option as well. I'd go for the H100 (or one of the super air coolers) instead of the H80 given the FX8150's power consumption.

Btw, didn't people say there were a lot of issues with the Asus Crosshair V Formula that were holding back Bulldozer's performance? Not sure if all the claims are true, but if they are you might want to look at the Asrock 990FX boards.

PSU is overkill unless you plan to Xfire later on, but then your CPU would be a major bottleneck. For a single 6990, an AX (or HX/TX) 850 should be perfectly fine.

HAF932 is a pretty decent case if you like the styling. Nothing wrong with it. Personally I'd go with a Lian Li or Corsair in that price range though.

Honestly though, if I was in your situation I'd probably just overclock the Ph II X4 and keep it until BD second-gen. Since you obviously want this system for gaming, the CPU honestly doesn't matter that much. A Core i3, Phenom II, Bulldozer, or Core i7 will all perform similarly in high resolution gaming. I don't think it's worth the $270-280 price tag of an FX8150 for little to no gain in gaming performance. Now if you encoded a lot or did something that was heavily multithreaded, the situation might favor BD more and it might more sense to shell out for the FX8150.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by kz26
View Post

I'd like to see how potential scheduler optimizations in Windows 8 and Linux might affect Bulldozer performance. Before then I think it's best to refrain from passing final judgment.

True enough, only when Windows 8 hits retail will we then know if AMD's scheduler excuse justifies.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top