·
Registered
639 Posts
Bulldozer is sounding better and better for me

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
My question is.. If you keep hearing the question;

"Can we get a dual socket overclockable board with 2-PCI-e X16 slots plus pcie-8,etc..Solid state caps,IE: all the top parts"

So often will anyone ever think it's a viable route? Or just gimme one

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the same 10-12 people asking over and over. Trust me, the market is less than one half of one percent. Should we invest money chasing that market or invest money chasing the other 99.6% of the market?

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
I love the answer to the last question on there

I look forward to purchasing and building a rig with these CPU's....just keep in mind, I am in cheap...really really cheap...as in $3 difference in price is worth it to me

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JF-AMD
View Post

It is the same 10-12 people asking over and over. Trust me, the market is less than one half of one percent. Should we invest money chasing that market or invest money chasing the other 99.6% of the market?

As with anything with high risk there is high reward. I would be more than happy to suck up a dual socket desktop platform that's not positioned to the server market.

I gaurantee that it would also be followed with a lot of enthusiasts and folders.

So if you are asking me if I want a dual socket amd platform that costs as much as a typical high end i7 platform? You are damn straight I want that

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But if you read the statement, dual socket client systems were, at their peak, .8% of the market. And exited last year at .4% and heading south.

The "following" is getting smaller and smaller every day as core density continues to go up per socket.

This business is very expensive. Based on the development costs, there is no way to make back the investment.

The better question to ask yourself is "would you buy a 2P client system if the processors were $1500 each?"

If the answer is no, then you see the dilemma that we face. Sure, there are some people that would buy that product. There just aren't enough. And there aren't enough at the price that one would need to charge to make money on the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
JF Any word on the amount of cache yet?

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JF-AMD
View Post

not until launch

hehe