Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really felt as though OCN has not had a recent thread that has been very successful on this topic... I am just gonna pose some questions to get the ball rolling...
  • Are all of us who ate up Sandy Bridge going to murder ourselves when the Bulldozer benchmarks are released?
  • Who will be on top? Will this be like the release of the HD 5*** series all over again?
  • Advanced architecture vs cores... What is more powerful?
  • Who's architecture is more advanced?
  • Will Bulldozer's new dual pipeline design finally put an end to hyper-threading monopoly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
my gawd so many of these threads this week.... dude i hope it's better than sb on the account of it's a totally new architecture. Anyways... Ivy is compatible with current p67 boards, so if you must have something probably better than bulldozer than upgrade to ivy bridge when it comes out next year

Most of the questions you asked can't be answered just yet..
we have to wait and see... but i hope to god that bd is better than sb... it'll put a fire under intel's bumm to get something more powerful that is also within the price range of amd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Jeez not ANOTHER one of these threads.

No, I don't think those who went and bought Sandy Bridge are gonna hate themselves for not waiting. If someone needs an upgrade urgently, they're going to upgrade to whatever they want.

Ivy Bridge is rumored to work in socket 1155 motherboards with a bios update, and IB is supposed to be a 20% increase in performance over Sandy Bridge. If Bulldozer is faster than SB, I think it will be on par with IB. Remember, they're predicting their highest end CPU to be as fast as, or faster than current i7's. That's their 8 core CPU.

So maybe when BD comes out, their new architecture & core combo will be a better solution than Intel's Hyperthreading, but only time can tell.

If Bulldozer is better, than you can almost guarantee that it will be more expensive, just because they can. If it's drastically expensive over Sandy Bridge for only maybe a 15% to 20% performance boost, I think people will still buy Sandy Bridge and be glad that they can OC it so well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
It's interesting that the op, stinky, has an i5 2300, which pretty much can't be overclocked. Everyone likes to conveniently forget that Sandy Bridge only has two cpus in it's entire line up that can actually overclock, and even then they're limited.

So providing Bulldozer isn't a total dog, from an overclockers perspective the whole range should be pure win. If BD can attain similar clocks to SB on air, especially the 4 core, then how high will it go with out the multiplier and baseclock limitation that SB has?

A water cooled BD might do 6Ghz...
 

·
Almost Canadian
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
This whole thread is a fail! AMD has been promising bulldozer for how long now? I hope they can compete with intel but somehow i doubt it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by purpleannex
View Post

It's interesting that the op, stinky, has an i5 2300, which pretty much can't be overclocked. Everyone likes to conveniently forget that Sandy Bridge only has two cpus in it's entire line up that can actually overclock, and even then they're limited.

So providing Bulldozer isn't a total dog, from an overclockers perspective the whole range should be pure win. If BD can attain similar clocks to SB on air, especially the 4 core, then how high will it go with out the multiplier and baseclock limitation that SB has?

A water cooled BD might do 6Ghz...

I mainly went with the i5-2300 because I was in Hong Kong at a store and I just felt so compelled to buy SB, yet the money I had on me was only enough to buy the i5-2300 and the ASRock P67 Pro3... Although, after Corsair finally responds to my request to purchase a new set of mounting brackets for my H50 (I lost all my Intel ones), I should be able to get it up to at least 3.8GHz. Sure, the K's can get up to 5GHz+ if you push them far enough, but I mean I only plan on maybe upgrading to an MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon HD 6950 2GB, and its not like that will be bottlenecked by my CPU...

That is the thing about CPU's in Gaming PC's is that you just need to make them good enough so then your gpu isn't bottlenecked, unless of course the game is extremely cpu intensive...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OutlawII
View Post

This whole thread is a fail! AMD has been promising bulldozer for how long now? I hope they can compete with intel but somehow i doubt it.

Don't worry, BD will eat your cpu for an appetizer. Remember, just because your cpu has the same brand logo as the fastest cpu, doesn't mean yours is the fastest...


Quote:


Originally Posted by stinky
View Post

I mainly went with the i5-2300 because I was in Hong Kong at a store and I just felt so compelled to buy SB, yet the money I had on me was only enough to buy the i5-2300 and the ASRock P67 Pro3... Although, after Corsair finally responds to my request to purchase a new set of mounting brackets for my H50 (I lost all my Intel ones), I should be able to get it up to at least 3.8GHz. Sure, the K's can get up to 5GHz+ if you push them far enough, but I mean I only plan on maybe upgrading to an MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon HD 6950 2GB, and its not like that will be bottlenecked by my CPU...

That is the thing about CPU's in Gaming PC's is that you just need to make them good enough so then your gpu isn't bottlenecked, unless of course the game is extremely cpu intensive...

Wasn't having a go at you, just commenting on the SB line up in general, and how it compares to BD in terms of overclocking. It won't matter to the general public who don't overclock, but it should matter to us if we can overclock the entire line rather than just two cpus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OutlawII
View Post

This whole thread is a fail! AMD has been promising bulldozer for how long now? I hope they can compete with intel but somehow i doubt it.

this
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus11;13070484
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawII;13036286
This whole thread is a fail! AMD has been promising bulldozer for how long now? I hope they can compete with intel but somehow i doubt it.
this
...same answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex;13070190
Don't worry, BD will eat your cpu for an appetizer. Remember, just because your cpu has the same brand logo as the fastest cpu, doesn't mean yours is the fastest...
lachen.gif
 
Joined
·
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex;13070190
Don't worry, BD will eat your cpu for an appetizer. Remember, just because your cpu has the same brand logo as the fastest cpu, doesn't mean yours is the fastest...
lachen.gif
Nor does it mean it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex;13070190
Wasn't having a go at you, just commenting on the SB line up in general, and how it compares to BD in terms of overclocking. It won't matter to the general public who don't overclock, but it should matter to us if we can overclock the entire line rather than just two cpus.
Unless you've brought back a few BD's from the future I'm not sure how you know this.
hmmsmiley02.gif
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top