Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently setup a 2nd system (Asus ROG 990FX mobo and a phenom 955 BE) for gaming, light photoshop usage and photo editing. The main intention was also to go bulldozer after its release. However, with the current launch of the product and the reviews which have been released. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to bulldozer?? Although working on an older architecture, the thuban 1100T seems to be of comparable performance overall in many instances, any reasons to go bulldozer then??

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by audilogic
View Post

I recently setup a 2nd system (Asus ROG 990FX mobo and a phenom 955 BE) for gaming, light photoshop usage and photo editing. The main intention was also to go bulldozer after its release. However, with the current launch of the product and the reviews which have been released. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to bulldozer?? Although working on an older architecture, the thuban 1100T seems to be of comparable performance overall in many instances, any reasons to go bulldozer then??

The tin box?

But really, a 1090T looks to be a better value at this point.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm going to say no.

If I were given a choice right now between the FX 8120-8150 or a 1090T-1100T, I'd honestly choose the 1090T-1100T. You're getting near identical performance, way less power draw and are likely to pay -significantly- less.

Honestly, I've been thinking about building a computer for my brother. I'd probably buy one of those nice 990FX motherboards and just get a Phenom II for him as a budget build. There's nothing wrong with that, and he'd still have a perfectly respectable rig.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

The tin box?

But really, a 1090T looks to be a better value at this point.

This^ that box is what make the choice very solid!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by microfister
View Post

i wouldnt even up to a 1100, you wont see much of a performance boost over the 955, at least not enought to justify the price. what GPU(s) are you using in the rig?

I have a MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in this rig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@microfister

I currently have the Phenom II 965, was thinking of grabbing a new FX processor as I already have a 990FX motherboard. So It looks like you guys are saying stick to the Phenom II 1100T? Maybe even just stay with the 965?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F8ta1
View Post

@microfister

I currently have the Phenom II 965, was thinking of grabbing a new FX processor as I already have a 990FX motherboard. So It looks like you guys are saying stick to the Phenom II 1100T? Maybe even just stay with the 965?

Yeah, sadly.

A lot of the results indicate that single threaded performance takes a dive even when compared to Phenoms. So, if you're gaming at all, it's just not a smart choice when factoring that and the significant power draw these chips require (could be a liability in terms of VRM). And yeah, in terms of gaming, the 965 would be the smart choice as a lot of comparisons indicate that the quad core FX chips are significantly slower than the Phenom II x4s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is indeed disheartening to hear that amd has launched a product that does not outperform its predecessors in some applications. However, given the fact that this is the initial launch of the product, any possibility that the future bulldozer cores could be better? or could this be the best that we will see?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Quote:

View Post

it is indeed disheartening to hear that amd has launched a product that does not outperform its predecessors in some applications. However, given the fact that this is the initial launch of the product, any possibility that the future bulldozer cores could be better? or could this be the best that we will see?

the biggest difference from batch to batch tends to be how well they overclock and their stability, the core performance of the chip will probably not change. like how one person that gets a phenom II x4 to 4.2ghz and the next guy cant get his past 3.7ghz. or 2 different consumers by a sandy bridge and one guy can hit 5ghz without breaking a sweat and the other cant hit 4.6 and keep it stable.

you will more than likely see very minimal difference in core performance from batch to batch. who knows though, AMD couldve sent out the wrong batch to the review sites. but that dosnt account for its massive power draw, and still bottlenecking gpus.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Slides seem to estimate that the next iteration of Bulldozer, codenamed Piledriver, will be roughly a 10 percent increase in performance, which sadly, would make it about as strong as a Phenom in terms of gaming or single threaded performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its a sad day for AMD fans... been waiting so long for this bad boy and it turns out its an epic failure! Oh well, will just have to hang tight till a processor worth buying comes out, or just grab a 1100T as I have been itching for one a long time haha!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Just sell it and cut your losses.

If you want a decent upgrade to justify spending more money you'll have to go 2500k.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F8ta1
View Post

Its a sad day for AMD fans... been waiting so long for this bad boy and it turns out its an epic failure! Oh well, will just have to hang tight till a processor worth buying comes out, or just grab a 1100T as I have been itching for one a long time haha!

True but look at it this way... People running with the Phenom architecture still have respectable rigs at a great price point. That's still plenty to be happy about.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armand Hammer
View Post

Just sell it and cut your losses.

If you want a decent upgrade to justify spending more money you'll have to go 2500k.

unfortunately this may be the case for alot of individuals. if you can manage to sell the cpu and board you have in the rig, you could justify the upgrade due to the price of a cheap p67/z68 board compared to a 990x and that the 2500k is roughly $40 cheaper than the BD.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
if you are a gamer all Phenom II's are better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts