Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should get new xp-m next week and was wondering if needed to run stock for while or go ahead and oc it.
what exactly in burn in for cpu s.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcraw5100

should get new xp-m next week and was wondering if needed to run stock for while or go ahead and oc it.
what exactly in burn in for cpu s.

Go ahead and overclock it then burn it in at your desired overclock.

Basically what "burning-in" is, is stressing the cpu at your desired level of overclock for an extended period of time.

The best way of burning-in your cpu is to open up prime95 and run a large ftt tortue test for long periods of time.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by what?

What good does that do? And how benificial is burning in?

It almost creates a "memory" which the processor starts to run at more normally instead of being stressed as an overclock. I don't know exactly how to put it, someone could probably think of a way of saying it to make sense.

Let me try it again... A burn-in allows the processor to run more stable and "stock-like" at overclocked speeds. After time it's possible to even get more out of your overclock after it's been well burnt in and its common to see a temperature decrease of 1-2* after a burn-in.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Gotch ya

Its like a car, you have to drive it how you want the car to be for the rest of its life when you first get it.

THanks. Rep points for u my friend

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by what?

Gotch ya

Its like a car, you have to drive it how you want the car to be for the rest of its life when you first get it.

THanks. Rep points for u my friend

Exactly
Glad you could understand my n00bish terms. Thx for the reps!

·
Banned
789 Posts
To answer ur rep qustion: It's never to late to burn your processor in, if you've burned it in at say 2.4ghz and u found that you can get it to 2.6, you can then start the burn in process at 2.6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts