Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to a build tutorial or more information on server configurations. I work for New York State and have been tasked to build a highly redundant server, I have ideas like dual power supplies, raid 1 and 5, two cpu's, lots of ram, (I know some of that doesn't mean redundant I just am trying to use examples of a powerful server) Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Money really isn't an object here, and want a quote for a fairly nice redundant server configuration. The lower the cost obviously better but I just want a current nice idea of what parts I should be looking at.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If that's all the information you have, you can't possibly make a good purchase. So just go configure an R730 with dual E5-2699 v3's and be done with it. Or buy a bunch of blades, or a Compellent to go along with it... my point is that (you may be aware of this) the request is so vague it's just silly.

What kind of applications are you hosting?
What kind of storage needs?
IOPS?
Networking?

The list goes on. Posting on here about enterprise grade hardware for an enterprise is not something I'd recommend - you should really be contacting a VAR (value added reseller) or a rep from Dell/HP/etc and they will help you determine what the company actually needs.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im glad someone responded , I'm partially new to teh server world but not new to hardware, I just don't know what makes a good server now a days. I can tell you what is being replaced and I want a similar replacement but upgraded parts. (ex more ram better cpu). Some requirements that were discussed are a tower not a blade server. The old server that is being phased out is 4 core xenon with 4 hyper threaded cores @ 2.53 ghz, 4gb ram, os volume is 150 only using 32, shares across network is 600 gb only using 465, windows server 2008 r2 standard. This new server will be hosting local files and be a print server for que based printing, and house some intranet applications the state made. Also may have some sql server data for a treat application we use. If you can help me get a similar but upgraded server that would be a huge help. i just dont know what is good in the server world. We currently also want redundancy like dual power supplies, and use raid 1 for os volume, and raid 5 for the data drives.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would talk with Dell, HP, or Cisco and give them that exact information, and they'll be able to get a quote and config out to you in probably a matter of hours. Pretty much anything you buy from one of those 3 vendors is going to be a substantial upgrade from what you have today and if it's a server, will have all of the "redundant" options you specified.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts