Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is having a few probs with his machine. He is using an Asus A7V333 mobo with a XP 2000+ chip in it.

The machine has been running solid (never turned off) for the past 2 months, and today he needed to do a BIOS upgrade on it. So he powered it off, and when he powered it back on to do the BIOS update, the machine would not turn on (bear in mind, that he HASN'T upgraded the bios at this time).

The lights come on, the hard disk spins up, but no display on the screen and no beep messages.

We have done the following to try and fix the problem:

* Tried different graphics card
* Tried different Ram
* Tried Ram in different slots
* Removed all cables and reseated
* Removed all non-essential components (HDD/CDROM/LAN/FLOPPY)
* Reset CMOS
* Removed battery

We are going to try changing the CPU and Power supply.

Can any1 think of anything else it could be...am i missing anything obvious?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
A friend of mine is having a few probs with his machine. He is using an Asus A7V333 mobo with a XP 2000+ chip in it.

The machine has been running solid (never turned off) for the past 2 months, and today he needed to do a BIOS upgrade on it. So he powered it off, and when he powered it back on to do the BIOS update, the machine would not turn on (bear in mind, that he HASN'T upgraded the bios at this time).

The lights come on, the hard disk spins up, but no display on the screen and no beep messages.

We have done the following to try and fix the problem:

* Tried different graphics card
* Tried different Ram
* Tried Ram in different slots
* Removed all cables and reseated
* Removed all non-essential components (HDD/CDROM/LAN/FLOPPY)
* Reset CMOS
* Removed battery

We are going to try changing the CPU and Power supply.

Can any1 think of anything else it could be...am i missing anything obvious?
At this point its trial and error, looks like your thinking in the right direction.
Are you sure the Misses hasnt been on his computer (LOL)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash
At this point its trial and error, looks like your thinking in the right direction.
Are you sure the Misses hasnt been on his computer (LOL)
After the CPU and PSU have been changed, do you think it'd be safe to assume that the mobo had died? Coz i'm fresh out of ideas after that.

The misus only attacks my machine
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
After the CPU and PSU have been changed, do you think it'd be safe to assume that the mobo had died? Coz i'm fresh out of ideas after that.

The misus only attacks my machine

Well yeah once you change both of those thing the next thing would be the mobo and memory.

It really sounds like a cpu problem though. The same exact thing happened to my computer last week (comes on, lights everything, no beeps, HD spins, but I dont get video signal).

I tryed different ram, video, my psu in another computer, and none of that fixed it. I figured it was my cpu, so I sent it back to newegg, and they confirmed it was bad and sent me a new one. Should be here monday so I havent had a chance to test the newone yet.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
Well yeah once you change both of those thing the next thing would be the mobo and memory.

It really sounds like a cpu problem though. The same exact thing happened to my computer last week (comes on, lights everything, no beeps, HD spins, but I dont get video signal).

I tryed different ram, video, my psu in another computer, and none of that fixed it. I figured it was my cpu, so I sent it back to newegg, and they confirmed it was bad and sent me a new one. Should be here monday so I havent had a chance to test the newone yet.
Yeah, we have tried known working memory in it, so that leaves CPU/MOBO.

Should be able to tell ya shortly if its the CPU or not, as we have an XP2200 at hand.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Yeah, we have tried known working memory in it, so that leaves CPU/MOBO.

Should be able to tell ya shortly if its the CPU or not, as we have an XP2200 at hand.

And im just tryin it now. wish me luck cos we give up after this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotDog
And the verdict is....

hold a min.........................................
Its the motherboard...Time for toxic_flo to dig deep into his pockets
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Its the motherboard...Time for toxic_flo to dig deep into his pockets

Yup is the motherboard. changed the cpu and PSU and still no show. Oh well . Least i got another 80gb maxtor hardrive and a cd writer out of it


Can anyone recommend a decent low priced mobo for an xp2000 . its going to be running 24/7 like this Asus mobo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic_flo
Yup is the motherboard. changed the cpu and PSU and still no show. Oh well . Least i got another 80gb maxtor hardrive and a cd writer out of it


Can anyone recommend a decent low priced mobo for an xp2000 . its going to be running 24/7 like this Asus mobo.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal..._Socket_A.html

Not being an AMD guy, i cant give a personal recommendation, but i've heard that the NF7 is good for £44.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xms

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal..._Socket_A.html

Not being an AMD guy, i cant give a personal recommendation, but i've heard that the NF7 is good for £44.

The Shuttle AN35 is also a very good motherboard and should be about 20 bucks less (american). It's stable, and reliable.

BTW, XMS is right, the NF7-S is a great motherboard, just make sure you get the Version 2.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

The Shuttle AN35 is also a very good motherboard and should be about 20 bucks less (american). It's stable, and reliable.

BTW, XMS is right, the NF7-S is a great motherboard, just make sure you get the Version 2.


Thanks guys.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
before you replace the mobo its worth trying, simple as it is i'll fly it out anyway as its not mentioned, while you were clearing the cmos and removing the battery you did unplug the cable from the back of the PSU right?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ket

before you replace the mobo its worth trying, simple as it is i'll fly it out anyway as its not mentioned, while you were clearing the cmos and removing the battery you did unplug the cable from the back of the PSU right?


Yea i tried that, i tried everything .... run out of ideas now. so keep them comming if you thinkl of any.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ket

well there is one last option, the bios corrupted itself. you can get replacement bios chips from www.excaliburpc.com


Thats quite Ironic you saying that actually cos i shut the server down due to upgrading its bios . But never actually managed to do it as it wouldt switch back on again
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top