Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a question for you guys..

I have a gtx 590 and a dell u2711 monitor..I was thinking about buying evga 780ti classified and w/c the card for some higher clocks..Is it worth it to buy the card or to wait for the Maxwell nvidia gpus next year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
this all depends on how your current card is handling the games your playing. i just bought a reference 780 ti and i love the card (especially the green logo that lights up on top. lol) I say if you arent getting the fps you want in the games go for it. if you are and can hold out till the next gpu revision do that. Either way you'll be happy. The 780s are going down in price now i scored one brand new for 500. good luck and hope this helped!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharris93 View Post

Hello, i have a question for you guys..

I have a gtx 590 and a dell u2711 monitor..I was thinking about buying evga 780ti classified and w/c the card for some higher clocks..Is it worth it to buy the card or to wait for the Maxwell nvidia gpus next year?
What games do you like to play? And do you do it often?

The 590 is a good card for gaming still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spunky thank you for the answer it was really helpful..mam72 i play most of the games with good fps and with high settings except titanfall and 1-2 other games...My problem is the bottleneck from the sli and this is the main reason that i wanna switch to 780ti..My 590 is watercooled and overclocked and can handle most of the games even at very high settings..but the bottleneck gets me mad lol.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mam72 View Post

What games do you like to play? And do you do it often?

The 590 is a good card for gaming still.
Many games already go over the vram limitation of a GTX 590, yeah I know it says its a 3gb card but only 1536mb of that ram is actually usable because the ram isnt shared.
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharris93 View Post

Spunky thank you for the answer it was really helpful..mam72 i play most of the games with good fps and with high settings except titanfall and 1-2 other games...My problem is the bottleneck from the sli and this is the main reason that i wanna switch to 780ti..My 590 is watercooled and overclocked and can handle most of the games even at very high settings..but the bottleneck gets me mad lol.
The bottleneck is probably from VRAM limitations. Either way, i'd wait until maxwell.

Edit: DX12 might resolve the vram issue, they did say that was something they were working on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have any solution for the vram limitation? Most of the games doesnt have bottlenecks but some other games for example cod ghosts,titanfall and thief bottlenecking all the time even at 1920x1080.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

The bottleneck is probably from VRAM limitations. Either way, i'd wait until maxwell.

Edit: DX12 might resolve the vram issue, they did say that was something they were working on.
Except the dx12 will not be supported by the 590 and even if it did by then games will be even more complex.
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niberius View Post

Except the dx12 will not be supported by the 590 and even if it did by then games will be even more complex.
DX12 will be compatible with Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell thus far.
Quote:
OS and GPU support

One of the surprise announcements at the show is that Nvidia will support DX12 on every Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell-class GPU. That means nearly every GTX 400, 500, and 600 series card will be supported. Interestingly, AMD isn't necessarily following suit - the company has indicated that it will support DX12 on all GCN-based hardware, but hasn't indicated if HD 6000 or HD 5000 cards will be included in that.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/178904-directx-12-detailed-backwards-compatible-with-all-recent-nvidia-gpus-will-deliver-mantle-like-capabilities
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharris93 View Post

You have any solution for the vram limitation? Most of the games doesnt have bottlenecks but some other games for example cod ghosts,titanfall and thief bottlenecking all the time even at 1920x1080.
The solution is to either lower your in game settings especially AA or get a better card. I know back when I had a GTX 580 which uses the same 1536mb of vram games like BF3 would often exceed the vram causing intermediate stuttering and that was also at 1080p. Crysis 2 was another one which exceeded the vram.

We are at a place where 2gb min for 1080p is the min recommended vram for a gaming card at 1080p. BF4 and Crysis 3 both use a lot of it and soon we will have PS4 ports which will need the additional vram.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Okay thats good to know because I read the exact opposite just the other day, I read that while it will be compatible it will not take full advantage of it. Anyway as I said before by the time DX12 surfaces games will be a good bit more demanding and a 590 isnt going to cut it.
 

·
What should be here ?
Joined
·
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

The bottleneck is probably from VRAM limitations. Either way, i'd wait until maxwell.

Edit: DX12 might resolve the vram issue, they did say that was something they were working on.
I thought that DX 12 would resolve the cpu overhead, not affect how games and applications handle the VRAM (unless i misread what dx12 and mantle work)

OT: If you are feeling the need for it, it would be wiser to spend money on 780 rather than the ti, as that would still provide 90% performance of the ti, but at much lower price point not to forget a much needed upgrade from your current setup
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niberius View Post

Okay thats good to know because I read the exact opposite just the other day, I read that while it will be compatible it will not take full advantage of it. Anyway as I said before by the time DX12 surfaces games will be a good more demanding and a 590 isnt going to cut it.
Yes, it is going to be like DX11, and DX11.2 there will be some slight differences. However the main CPU, and the Vram benefits will carry over to older cards.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharris93 View Post

Hello, i have a question for you guys..

I have a gtx 590 and a dell u2711 monitor..I was thinking about buying evga 780ti classified and w/c the card for some higher clocks..Is it worth it to buy the card or to wait for the Maxwell nvidia gpus next year?
Dont even waste your time with the classified unless you plan on LN2
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

I thought that DX 12 would resolve the cpu overhead, not affect how games and applications handle the VRAM (unless i misread what dx12 and mantle work)

OT: If you are feeling the need for it, it would be wiser to spend money on 780 rather than the ti, as that would still provide 90% performance of the ti, but at much lower price point not to forget a much needed upgrade from your current setup
Mantle so far actually gobbles up a ton more vram than DX. Also I too suggest the normal GTX 780 since the performance is great and it would be a good hold over card till the next set of GPU's from nvidia come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys thank you all for the answers..I was thinking buying the evga 780ti classified and get some higher clocks and voltage by watercooling it..On the other hand i was thinking to wait for the vga 780ti 6gb to release or wait for the Maxwells...the bottleneck on some new games is so annoying and sometimes the games are unplayable cause of it...What you guys think i'll have to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharris93 View Post

Guys thank you all for the answers..I was thinking buying the evga 780ti classified and get some higher clocks and voltage by watercooling it..On the other hand i was thinking to wait for the vga 780ti 6gb to release or wait for the Maxwells...the bottleneck on some new games is so annoying and sometimes the games are unplayable cause of it...What you guys think i'll have to do?
if its unplayable as you say, i'd upgrade now. what fun are games if you cant play them?! haha
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolharris93 View Post

Guys thank you all for the answers..I was thinking buying the evga 780ti classified and get some higher clocks and voltage by watercooling it..On the other hand i was thinking to wait for the vga 780ti 6gb to release or wait for the Maxwells...the bottleneck on some new games is so annoying and sometimes the games are unplayable cause of it...What you guys think i'll have to do?
Bro we have already told you what we think you should do to alleviate the problems. As for waiting for the 6gb 780TI why may I ask? are you running or plan to run multiple high res screens? because if not then you dont need to dump money into a 6gb 780TI. If you plan to get maxwell when it comes out then do as a couple of us have suggested and just get a GTX 780 for the time being which will still give you more than enough performance on a single 1080P screen until maxwell comes out. Save your money for the big guns dude.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

What games are unplayable with a 590?
There are plenty of games currently out which will present a problem for 1536mb of Vram. I know because I had a GTX 580 and I have plenty of games which were choking that card at 1080P. 2GB is quickly becoming the min recommended for vram. You can disagree if you like but I know better because as I said I had a 1536mb card and know all about the vram limitations when it comes to many modern games and that will of course only get worse over time with more demanding games which will eventually come out.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top