Overclock.net banner

Buy Now or Wait

508 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  yanks8981 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am sitting here debating with myself whether to go ahead and buy or not, and I would really like yall's opinion on this. Currently Microcenter is having a sale where you buy a 2600k and get $80 off any Z68 motherboard. I started out two weeks ago and bought a ASRock Extreme 4 Gen3 board. The board was awesome looking and the features are great, but the BIOS was terrible. I was on the phone with ASRock for 2 hours trying to figure out what's wrong with the BIOS. The BIOS will not load half of the time and finally it just gave up and I can only go to BIOS and not load windows. I was pretty disappointed, so I returned the board and everything. Now Microcenter is having the same sale again, I am debating if I should go ahead and get an ASUS board and be done or should I wait till ASUS release their Gen3 then buy. ASUS hasn't announce the release date, and who knows how long that will take. Any suggestion is welcomed. I am not fully stuck on ASUS, it's just that I had really good luck with them. MSI, and Gigabye will work too. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

#3 ·
You can't go wrong with the ASUS P8Z68-V or P8Z68-V PRO. These are very popular boards, and seems people are very happy with them..

As for Gen.3 boards, I don't think their features are really that important VS current generation.

Also, ASUS just released a new bios for most of their popular Z68 and P67 boards, to support IVY bridge..

So you could just as well go for it and buy now.

#6 ·
I'd buy now. I am not sure what the 200-250 budget includes, but you're likely looking at 300 for the chip and 150 for the board - 80 for the discount. Asus is a great brand and I love my board. Always something new around the corner, just gotta decide if you can wait til then, or you're ready to upgrade now.

• Rep+
Reactions: b00st4ddicted
#7 ·
Thank you guys for the opinions so far. I am pretty sure, the current gen ASUS boards will support IB. My main concern is the PCI-E 3.0. I think with the setup I am planning on doing, it should last me for at least 3 years even with PCI-E 2.1. My plan is the following. Please comment.

2600k - Overclock to about 4.5
2 x 6870 Crossfire
Seasonic X750
G.Skill 1600 8gb or Corsair Vengence 8gb
Motherboard?
2 x 1TB HDD Raid 0
Corsair H100

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00st4ddicted
View Post

Thank you guys for the opinions so far. I am pretty sure, the current gen ASUS boards will support IB. My main concern is the PCI-E 3.0. I think with the setup I am planning on doing, it should last me for at least 3 years even with PCI-E 2.1. My plan is the following. Please comment.

2600k - Overclock to about 4.5
2 x 6870 Crossfire
Seasonic X750
G.Skill 1600 8gb or Corsair Vengence 8gb
Motherboard?
2 x 1TB HDD Raid 0
Corsair H100

Looks good to me. No 64GB SSD for a boot/app drive? Then you can put your 2x1TB HDD RAID 1 (instead of RAID 0 for a little bit of redundancy) for your storage/games.

#10 ·
Not bad. If theres any room in the budget, I'd try to squeeze a Crucial M4 64GB SSD in there, and use your RAID HDDs as your storage drives.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00st4ddicted
View Post

200-250 is only for the board, of course lower would be better. any opinion on the MSI GD65 Gen3? and also what is yall's take on G.Skill 1600 8gb vs Corsair Vengence 1600 8gb. thanks again

1600 memory is fine, both you mentioned would do. For a board, I'd get this, but I favor ASUS also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131771

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.