·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I plan to upgrade my ryzen 3700x.
The question is:
Is it the right time?
What is the probability of having several problems such as errors, reboots, fclk below 1800, etc.
I have an Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Impact.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hello.
I plan to upgrade my ryzen 3700x.
The question is:
Is it the right time?
What is the probability of having several problems such as errors, reboots, fclk below 1800, etc.
I have an Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Impact.
No one can really answer that as there are thousands with the whea errors and fclk issues. And that's only reported problems. Not the ones that are just flat out returning units

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one can really answer that as there are thousands with the whea errors and fclk issues. And that's only reported problems. Not the ones that are just flat out returning units
This is my fear, I believe that the probability of something going wrong is very high.
It's scary the reports that can be read on this internet outside.
I even think that AMD should suspend sales, until it guarantees a certain stability.

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
I might not be in the know, but I haven't heard of any widespread stability or performance issues with Zen 3. One would think the return rates would be higher if there were issues and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anecdotally, I have seen threads on OCN of people having a tough time replicating reviewer benchmark performance, but that is almost always the case with any launch hardware.

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
I keep laboring this point, and really I am just fishing for information. Why do you think buying a 5800x is a risky purchase?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep laboring this point, and really I am just fishing for information. Why do you think buying a 5800x is a risky purchase?
Because I have read several reports, since whea errors, reboots in idle mode, problems in oc of fclk.

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
Because I have read several reports, since whea errors, reboots in idle mode, problems in oc of fclk.
You can buy whatever you want for whatever reason you like, but all of those issues can arise from overclocking. Sometimes you lose the silicon lottery and only get 1800mhz on FCKL (2%-5% less performance maybe than 2000FCKL all things equal), and sometimes your OC is not actually stable even though you ran OCCT for like 20 minutes and it totally didn't crash :p.

See the top comment:

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about AMD, at least not with what we know right now.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You can buy whatever you want for whatever reason you like, but all of those issues can arise from overclocking. Sometimes you lose the silicon lottery and only get 1800mhz on FCKL (2%-5% less performance maybe than 2000FCKL all things equal), and sometimes your OC is not actually stable even though you ran OCCT for like 20 minutes and it totally didn't crash :p.

See the top comment:

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about AMD, at least not with what we know right now.
Care to explain the stock whea errors? In all reality it's bad CPUs+ bad bios firmware implication on amds part.

I have zero idea when it's gonna be fixed as I personally down own a ryzen system just going off of what I read.

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
Care to explain the stock whea errors? In all reality it's bad CPUs+ bad bios firmware implication on amds part.

I have zero idea when it's gonna be fixed as I personally down own a ryzen system just going off of what I read.
I have no idea. The post I linked complained about Battlefield V having whea errors. The top comment was another anecdote from someone who has AMD and Intel machines and claims to get the same error on both.

That is the problem with anecdotes as evidence. You often don't have enough context to know what is going on.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have no idea. The post I linked complained about Battlefield V having whea errors. The top comment was another anecdote from someone who has AMD and Intel machines and claims to get the same error on both.

That is the problem with anecdotes as evidence. You often don't have enough context to know what is going on.
No issues across bfv with 4 different setups all on Intel and all overclocked. Bfv uses avx so that could be a issue

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,938 Posts
I had a 5800X and ran like a champ. Auto boosted to 4.85 out of the box and ran 1900 FCLK no issues. I might have been lucky, but my time with the 5800x was flawless. Just wish it had more cores lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: jcpq

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I had a 5800X and ran like a champ. Auto boosted to 4.85 out of the box and ran 1900 FCLK no issues. I might have been lucky, but my time with the 5800x was flawless. Just wish it had more cores lol.
Yea you got lucky. It all comes down to do you wanna roll the dice on a 4-500 dollar purchase

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yah, if I could have one like that I wouldn't ask for more. ;)

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,938 Posts
Yah, if I could have one like that I wouldn't ask for more. ;)
Going to be honest, I think the biggest issue was board manufactures did not get enough time to test these new chips and AMD would have been wiser to launch with new chipset. That must have been the reason why they did not want to support 300/400 series boards (theory, I could be wrong). I had to tweak voltages to get rid of the errors, but the errors did go away. Only reason why I sold it was because I fell in love with X299.

Honestly it is your call, you already have a great board. If it does not work just return it.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,342 Posts

I honestly think those are due to unstable memory overclocks. Every person I've seen reporting WHEA errors enabled XMP. Seems like many people don't understand how XMP/DOCP works.

Only confirmed issue seems to be related to AMD's chipsets.

• Rep+
Reactions: jcpq

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I honestly think those are due to unstable memory overclocks. Every person I've seen reporting WHEA errors enabled XMP. Seems like many people don't understand how XMP/DOCP works.

Only confirmed issue seems to be related to AMD's chipsets.

I mean there's that. People assum that cl14 3200 isn't overclocking when in reality anything over jdec standards is overclocking lol. But then thats pretty crappy and kills performance if you can only run jdec speeds and timings.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts