Overclock.net banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Rofl so the huge thread on here is bs?
Blown out of proportion, mountain from a mole hill etc etc

Is there any feedback regarding the 21xx chips?
No, though I think you are looking into this far deeper than you should be, you have been asking about Ryzen 5000 series CPUs and motherboards far longer than I care to remember!

More important things to worry about than if you happen to be unfortunate enough to get a bad CPU, key words be unfortunate not get lucky !!

• Rep+
Reactions: Hueristic and jcpq

·
Iconoclast
30,657 Posts
The issues with the 5000 series CPUs and 500 series boards seem to be significantly overstated.

AMD's AGESA is a mess and board maker implementations often don't help things. Some manual tuning is often required for best results, but in a venue like this, that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I mean there's that. People assum that cl14 3200 isn't overclocking when in reality anything over jdec standards is overclocking lol. But then thats pretty crappy and kills performance if you can only run jdec speeds and timings.
Problem is people overclocking memory who don't know how to overclock memory. 1800FCLK is a reasonable expectation on Zen 2, with a bit more on Zen 3...though some samples of each can certainly handle more. If the memory is capable of matching this, but the system has issues, it's probably user error.

• Rep+
Reactions: jcpq

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sometime 2033/2066 post fine, sometimes 2033 goes funky, at the same time when 2033 goes funky a previous unpostable FCLK frequency, 1966, is able to post !!

Thats why I think there is a sync issue somewhere ....
Are you sure it is not the issue with running 4 sticks of RAM? Have you tried to run 2 sticks of RAM for a few days and check if the same thing happens?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Are you sure it is not the issue with running 4 sticks of RAM? Have you tried to run 2 sticks of RAM for a few days and check if the same thing happens?
Nope, nothing to do with RAM, have done extensive testing, with 2 and 4 sticks

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,535 Posts
The PBO on these 5000 chips are quite aggressive, blasting upwards of 1.4v+ on load with high amperage. I think that's exactly the kind of behavior that degrades a chip over time. I've seen ~1.45v on my 3600x when boosting and decided to manually underclock instead for 4GHz at 1.17v. It's just logical that 7nm is more fragile than 14nm++++++++++++ is. Also, I had to revert to PCIe 3.0 to solve black screen issues.

Besides those things, my AMD rig is just doing peachy.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
lol ^^^^

I trust to believe AMD know more about TSMC process technology than what you have posted

:D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
lol ^^^^

I trust to believe AMD know more about TSMC process technology than what you have posted

:D
Remember if it last aslong as the warranty is they did their job. Idc what kinda technology they used. 1.5 on 7nm at 80c is a no bueno for me. Why dony you test it out for a year or two

·
Premium Member
10,849 Posts
I would wait for non x 5800 release if you can before deciding.

• Rep+

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might not be in the know, but I haven't heard of any widespread stability or performance issues with Zen 3. One would think the return rates would be higher if there were issues and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anecdotally, I have seen threads on OCN of people having a tough time replicating reviewer benchmark performance, but that is almost always the case with any launch hardware.

Take a look on this topic.

Replaced 3950X with 5950X = WHEA and reboots

I recommend to wait for the upgrade or if you jump to the new 5k series keep your old CPU just in case of a RMA.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I currently have 5600x. I didn't try to OC yet, but it's running really smooth. I had some windows bluescreens in the beginning, but that was because i was using old drivers for my old mobo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm currently running a 5800X with -30 undervolt and +200 OC PBO2. 1933 1:1 FLCK:MEMCLK fully stable, no WHEAs. Check sig for details.

The only issue I have with my chip is that it's running hot (90C thorttling with P95 small FFTs), maybe because it's one of those with a dual CCXs (failed 5950X).

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm currently running a 5800X with -30 undervolt and +200 OC PBO2. 1933 1:1 FLCK:MEMCLK fully stable, no WHEAs. Check sig for details.

The only issue I have with my chip is that it's running hot (90C thorttling with P95 small FFTs), maybe because it's one of those with a dual CCXs (failed 5950X).
AMD is selling bad 5950X as 5800X ???? :oops:

·
Registered
58 Posts
AMD is selling bad 5950X as 5800X ???? :oops:
Yes, apparently there are two versions of the 5800X - a) 1x CCX, 8C b) 2x CCX, 8C each, one CCX disabled (basically a 5950X with one failed CCX).

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,958 Posts
Yes, apparently there are two versions of the 5800X - a) 1x CCX, 8C b) 2x CCX, 8C each, one CCX disabled (basically a 5950X with one failed CCX).
How nice would it be if it can be unlocked like the Phenom II days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No one can really answer that as there are thousands with the whea errors and fclk issues. And that's only reported problems. Not the ones that are just flat out returning units
Exactly this. I bought 5800X in december. After few weeks of nightmare with all the whea errors, random reeboots and crashes, I am back to my good rock solid i9. My 5800X is covered by dust in a corner...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Exactly this. I bought 5800X in december. After few weeks of nightmare with all the whea errors, random reeboots and crashes, I am back to my good rock solid i9. My 5800X is covered by dust in a corner...
I'm sincere, I think about that too.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts