Overclock.net banner

Buy ryzen 5800x, yes or no?

4K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  jcpq 
#1 ·
Hello.
I plan to upgrade my ryzen 3700x.
The question is:
Is it the right time?
What is the probability of having several problems such as errors, reboots, fclk below 1800, etc.
I have an Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Impact.

#2 ·
No one can really answer that as there are thousands with the whea errors and fclk issues. And that's only reported problems. Not the ones that are just flat out returning units

• Rep+
Reactions: jcpq
#3 ·
This is my fear, I believe that the probability of something going wrong is very high.
It's scary the reports that can be read on this internet outside.
I even think that AMD should suspend sales, until it guarantees a certain stability.

#7 ·
I might not be in the know, but I haven't heard of any widespread stability or performance issues with Zen 3. One would think the return rates would be higher if there were issues and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anecdotally, I have seen threads on OCN of people having a tough time replicating reviewer benchmark performance, but that is almost always the case with any launch hardware.

#50 ·
I might not be in the know, but I haven't heard of any widespread stability or performance issues with Zen 3. One would think the return rates would be higher if there were issues and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anecdotally, I have seen threads on OCN of people having a tough time replicating reviewer benchmark performance, but that is almost always the case with any launch hardware.

Take a look on this topic.

Replaced 3950X with 5950X = WHEA and reboots

I recommend to wait for the upgrade or if you jump to the new 5k series keep your old CPU just in case of a RMA.

#15 ·
I had a 5800X and ran like a champ. Auto boosted to 4.85 out of the box and ran 1900 FCLK no issues. I might have been lucky, but my time with the 5800x was flawless. Just wish it had more cores lol.

• Rep+
#16 ·
Yea you got lucky. It all comes down to do you wanna roll the dice on a 4-500 dollar purchase

• Rep+
#24 ·
I started this thread back when I had my 5800x

I am going to quote myself, these settings solved my WHEA errors.

Well I spent all day yesterday tweaking the system, and I can say system is error free. The biggest culprit was my BCLK clock (even though it was only 100, but more on that later).

This should apply to all Gigabyte boards, even though I was not crashing by buddy with the same board (his is the WiFi version) and CPU was.

Like I mentioned above, I always set my BCLK clock manually to 100. But whenever you set it manually the option for Spread Spectrum disappears, according to Gigabyte it should automatically disable. Well turns out it does not, if I leave BCLK on auto and then disable spread spectrum this resolved 40 percent of my issues. This was not found out until the very end when I just started messing with BIOS settings to see what worked (thank god for save profiles). I think modern platforms have spoiled us, because everything just runs smoother. It's not like the good ole 775 days where you had memory holes and needed certain straps to be stable. Or my old P5n-SLI board being quirky as hell with my Q6600 that I had to resort to a special BIOS just to run stable at the 333 strap (1333FSB/667DDR2). So in essence we have become lazy because boom we either just adjust the multi and voltage or enable PBO. I think that's why I enjoy RAM overclocking and tweaking as well.

Since I did not figure out the above I was pulling my hairs out to get zero errors. First issue I tackled was the SOC volts, this board with XMP enabled defaults to .995. It was never an issue because it never crashed. With my original settings (listed in the original post), I would get 230 errors with the following tests. Start up, play doom eternal for 10min, loop CB20 for 10mins, and then 10 more minutes of general usage. 230 errors and I stopped it at that, if I would have kept it open it would be higher because it would error in idling. With 1.15 SOC volts my errors dropped to 130 errors with the test mentioned above. I upped the SOC voltage pass 1.2 but gave me the same errors so I worked back down to 1.145 and that resulted in the same errors as a voltage of 1.25. I adjusted VDDP to .920 and VDDIO and VDDG to .945 (this setting voltage moved automatically). With final voltages tuned I got 90 errors.

90 errors, this is where I was pulling my hair. Started tweaking memory at this points but this resulted in more errors, with me tuned DJR running 3800CL16 I got less errors than with running stock XMP at 3600. What I find weird is 3800CL16 (IF ran 1:1 in all test) ran better and less errors than 3533-3733 and gave me the same errors running 3266-3466. At 3200 all errors disappeared, but I should have paid better attention, at 3200 even though I had BCLK at 100 it was 100. Every other strap was 99.6-99.9, this should have been a dead giveaway spread spectrum was doing its thing. Memory speeds 2400-2933 gave me same amount of errors. 2133-2400 error free and again bclk stuck 100. It was here that I finally decided to look into the BCLK jumping around even though it was set to 100 and spread spectrum should have been disabled.

With BCLK left on auto and spread spectrum disabled left me with a BCLK at 100. With this little change and 3800/1900, 10 WHEA errors. Now 10 errors I was excited, so know all I did was disable PBO and my lovely +150mhz and boom zero errors!!! Even with PBO disabled I still get my 4600 all cores and 4.85 single core boosts, so I am still happy. According to AMD and Gigabyte AGESA 1.1.8.0 and beyond should fix that (hopefully 4000/2000IF).

Just want to remind everybody, even though I had a crap ton of WHEA errors I was still apparently stable.
I really truly think it is an issue with motherboards and not CPUs. This is just regarding the WHEA issues, I never experienced the USB disconnect issues.

To the OP, buy the 5800X. If it does not pan out then return it or sell it.

• Rep+
#27 ·
There are constant restocks at B&H or you are lucky and hit some of the super deals. I have an deal to sell my 5800X at cost it takes to buy an 5600x in Canada

• Rep+
#26 ·
If you want more performance, and can find one at MSRP, I think you will be happy.

Reasons to upgrade:
1. Faster clock for clock than zen2 and reaches higher frequencies (~20% average)
2. Significant improvements in games means that CPU limited scenarios are now faster than the best intel can do.
3. Out of the box provides single core performance that is close to the limit of zen3 and any cpu available today as well as 8 cores for multi-core applications.
4. Single CCD means there are a few cases where performance is a little better than 5900x or 5950x.

Reasons not to would be:
1. Your GPU is a more likely limit than your current CPU
2. A 5600x is fast enough for any current game and much cheaper
3. A 5900x gets you 4 more cores for not that much more money
4. A 5900x or 5950x will give you a better chance of hitting higher frequencies for overclocking.

#29 ·
Don't buy online, head to the shops and find an early manufacturing code.

Mine is 2040SUS and runs like a champ, 2000 and 2033 IF stable and WHEA free.

If you check the online reviews you will notice all reviewers are using 2036SUS chips so I figured AMD would send them handpicked chips and looked for something similar.

I've also tested a 2044SUS which has no WHEA issues.

#30 ·
The one I sold with no errors was 2044 aswell.

• Rep+
Reactions: jcpq and Joeking78
#33 ·
Most definitely not worth the upgrade.

I've got all of the 5000 series chips and I haven't seen any issues at all, but I am primarily using them for extreme overclocking and not much 'daily' type of usage. As for fabric, out of the 7 chip's I've tested, only one of them will not do 1900. Most of them will do above 1900 and up to 2100, but there are major issues such as performance degradation above 1900. If you keep FCLK between 1800-1900, then I can say with some confidence you wont experience issues.

I wouldn't upgrade, it's just not worth it unless you are doing extensive CPU heavy workloads like 3D rendering or parametric modeling for your job.

• Rep+
#34 ·
Interesting. I can only run my intel ddr4 4000 bdie samsung at 3733 stable. Its really unstable though still need to spend more time tweaking it

#46 · (Edited)
The PBO on these 5000 chips are quite aggressive, blasting upwards of 1.4v+ on load with high amperage. I think that's exactly the kind of behavior that degrades a chip over time. I've seen ~1.45v on my 3600x when boosting and decided to manually underclock instead for 4GHz at 1.17v. It's just logical that 7nm is more fragile than 14nm++++++++++++ is. Also, I had to revert to PCIe 3.0 to solve black screen issues.

Besides those things, my AMD rig is just doing peachy.

• Rep+
#47 ·
lol ^^^^

I trust to believe AMD know more about TSMC process technology than what you have posted

:D

#48 ·
Remember if it last aslong as the warranty is they did their job. Idc what kinda technology they used. 1.5 on 7nm at 80c is a no bueno for me. Why dony you test it out for a year or two

• Rep+
#49 ·
I would wait for non x 5800 release if you can before deciding.

• Rep+
#52 ·
I'm currently running a 5800X with -30 undervolt and +200 OC PBO2. 1933 1:1 FLCK:MEMCLK fully stable, no WHEAs. Check sig for details.

The only issue I have with my chip is that it's running hot (90C thorttling with P95 small FFTs), maybe because it's one of those with a dual CCXs (failed 5950X).

#53 ·
I'm currently running a 5800X with -30 undervolt and +200 OC PBO2. 1933 1:1 FLCK:MEMCLK fully stable, no WHEAs. Check sig for details.

The only issue I have with my chip is that it's running hot (90C thorttling with P95 small FFTs), maybe because it's one of those with a dual CCXs (failed 5950X).
AMD is selling bad 5950X as 5800X ???? :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.