• No - Would rather try my luck with a cheaper retail cpu

Votes: 11 16.2%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have spoken to @Silicon Lottery about potentially selling binned CPUs in the UK and Europe and have decided to ask fellow OCN members on your thoughts of buying a binned CPU.

Please could you copy the three questions below and answer in bold next to each one. I.e

Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). - Yes, a 4790K.

Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc).

What price would you pay over retail?

How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU?

Thank You

·
Registered
762 Posts
i bought a 5ghz binned 4790k off another user here a few months ago, so i would definitely pay more for a binned chip. i bench alot so 5ghz stable = higher suicide runs. no exact number, but i would certainly pay a fair amount over retail for a really good chip (and i did, what with import duties from the US
redface.gif
)

i cant speak for the general/gamer population, but when benching

Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). - i would buy binned versions of all chips. hardware points!
What price would you pay over retail? - i bought a 5ghz binned 4790k off another user here a few months ago, so i would definitely pay more for a binned chip. i bought from the US so i paid, $340, plus shipping, plus 20% import duty
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? - depends on the quality or how soon after release. a golden cpu in the first week of broadwell? a lot. 2/3 weeks after payment wouldnt bother me though.

·
I fix Stuff
5,417 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). Yes but only if the proper situation called for it and also depending on the price increase over retail. Don't feel like paying $400 USD for a $280 chip.
What price would you pay over retail? See above answer.
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? a week would be reasonable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). Yes, a 5960x or a 5930k
What price would you pay over retail? It depends on the parameters. (eg. $1000-1200 is OK for a binned 5960x)
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? 1-2 weeks would be nice

·
Registered
449 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). - yes! 5960x
What price would you pay over retail? 1200$ as on their homepage.
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? Depends on costs for the shipping. I'd say 1-2 Weeks if in stock.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). Yes, a 4790k
What price would you pay over retail? For the most golden of the gold, the sky's the limit. For a 90th percentile chip, I think retail +40-50% would not be robbery.
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? 5 business days would not be outrageous.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). Yup. i7-4790K, 5820K, and 5960X in the end are all on my list
What price would you pay over retail? Depending on the overclock, between $25-85 USD over stock
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? 7-10 business days, especially if odds of getting a 5-5.2GHz low voltage CPU were significantly higher

Why? Well, I bench but in more of a casual sense, so it would be nice to be able to just pay a bit extra and skew luck in my favour and start with a nice performing CPU.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
YES - a Skylake chip (i5/i7)

Depends how good it is. As an example, maybe 100% markup for a Haswell CPU @[email protected](load)

Preferably 1-2 day delivery, but a week is fine i guess. More would need pretty good reason - I mean if the chips are just sat on a tray, why would it take longer to ship? If there's still more in the binning process to be done and you would get a higher quality CPU, sure i could maybe wait longer

·
Registered
253 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). Yeah it's 100% something I would very strongly consider for an new build in the future. I'd also consider replacing my current 4690k with a 4790k if the prices were right.

Depends on the clockspeed/voltage ratio. For myself I'd be willing to pay around 25% more than retail for a well/ very-well binned CPU in total. I wouldn't be expecting a top of the line bin for that price. If I'm then adding import tax and expensive delivery on top of that and the actual final price to myself was closer to 40% over retail in my country then I wouldn't be interested for the sort of binning I would want.
For me warranty from somewhere (guaranteed for 6 months at those speeds say) and eligibility for Intel XTP would sway me as a 5% extra on the final price.

At the prices I mentioned: 2 weeks for dispatch. Perhaps a discount scheme where 5% of the price paid is taken off for every additional month of waiting

·
Fusion is Future
1,393 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). - Yes, a 4790K, also maybe 4690k?

What price would you pay over retail? Depends on oc results... up to 20% more max

How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? 1 week

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, a 4790K.

20%, maybe up to 30% for a golden chip

About a week.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i would be interested but only if its top end.willing to pay extra !
thumb.gif

·
Registered
43 Posts
Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). - Yes, a 4790K.

Would you be interested in buying a binned CPU? (i7-4790k, 5820K, 5960X etc). Yes
What price would you pay over retail? Same as retail max (so around $340) since retail is higher in the uk and they're sourced from the USA where it's cheaper so win win?
How long would you be prepared to wait for delivery of your CPU? 10-12 days. More important it comes here safe ie correctly packaged than how long

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What exactly is a binned CPU? its just the ones that won the "lottery" and are able to OC higher than average right? or is there more to it?

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Yes, Skylake i5/i7.

I don't know, it depends. +1% price markup for 1.5%-2% extra performance? With variation depending on the required VCore.

Two weeks I wouldn't mind at all.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Where's "No - Would rather try my luck with a cheaper second hand cpu"

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
Would I buy one?

A 4790K perhaps (or the equal for Skylake and future CPUs). I'd say up to 30-35% more would be reasonable, depending on the voltage, OC headroom, and premium. I'd be open to Haswell-E only if I had insane amounts of cash.

How long? I'd like it within 2-3 weeks. Not living in the US, it does seem to take longer to ship sadly.
mad.gif
That and customs fees.

I suspect that there does seem to be a market for such CPUs judging by this poll - a pretty big one here as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts