Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my old 580 has served me well, but its showing its age a little here and there. its time to buy a new GPU. I'm not a fan of multi GPU setups, so i'm not considering the 690 or 7990. So, right now my choices are GTX 680, HD 7970 Ghz edition & Titan.

The 7970 seems to be a good choice, especially for the price. but a recent Tech Report article about micro-stuttering in AMD cards is worrying me a little. The 680 seems ok, but it bugs me how its more expensive and slower than AMD cards. Therefore, the Titan is my preferred choice at the moment, despite obvious cost to performance disadvantage. At least it's the fastest single GPU cards out there.

I'd really like some comments from the community about the pros and cons of purchacing any one of these cards. I'm especially concern about the purpoted 7970 microstuttering issues.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Err, the 680 has been depromoted to 2nd, the GTX Titan is winning now. Budget? I would go for a nice 7970

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Err, the 680 has been depromoted to 2nd, the GTX Titan is winning now. Budget? I would go for a nice 7970
budget isn't a restraint, but i want to stick to one GPU.

·
Registered
554 Posts
7970 would be best budget / performance wise. You can always use the program RadeonPro to reduce microstuttering.

EDIT:
Quote:
budget isn't a restraint, but i want to stick to one GPU.
Titan it is!
biggrin.gif

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Off Topic - I cant wait until someone merges two Titans onto 1 PCB, that would be epic!

On Topic - Pony up $1000 and buy a Titan, or for a 3rd of that get a 7970 which in turns has a third of the power

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
with regards to frame latency on HD 7970 not every game is affected. AMD resolved frame latency issues in specific affected games in 13.2 beta - skyrim, borderlands 2, guild wars 2. the new memory manager is expected to resolve the problem for any DX11 / DX 10 games affected like farcry 3 and hitman absolution. games like bf3, crysis 3 play without any frame latency issues. get a voltage unlocked HD 7970 Ghz like HIS HD 7970 Iceq x2 ghz or sapphire hd 7970 ghz vapor-x.

·
Banned
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Off Topic - I cant wait until someone merges two Titans onto 1 PCB, that would be epic!

On Topic - Pony up $1000 and buy a Titan, or for a 3rd of that get a 7970 which in turns has a third of the power
You'll never see a Titan X2 for the simple fact it would need 500W to power

OP.. What games do you play?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts