Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna purchase a xbox 360. what should i get? i mean i really have no idea what to get, do i just get the console, and i get everything ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweaker123 View Post
i wanna purchase a xbox 360. what should i get? i mean i really have no idea what to get, do i just get the console, and i get everything ?
console comes with a single controller..... depends on what kind you get, the basic one has no hard drive.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Get the Slim for sure. Better than my Elite, worth the full price. Then just look for your favourite deals/combos

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You will probably need a HDMI cable if you are using a HDTV. Personally I bought the expensive microsoft version and other then a resolution change its hard to really spot better crisper quality. Years ago elite models came WITH the cable, but they don't anymore which I found out when I bought my xbox elite last year at christmas.

Buy a rechargable battery pack for your controller, preferably buy two packs so while one set is charging you can play with another. I personally used to go through 4-6 double AA batteries every week and a half. Costs add up quick.

I would get the elite model with the "4gb" hard drive, because its basically $100 dollars less but it does not come with a 250 hard drive. If you REALLY REALLY need storage gamestop usually sells refurbished hard drives for like $40-$80 at much better deals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The slim is definitely worth the money. I have to 250gb, but the 4gb would suffice. Also, the play and charge kit is always a good idea. It saves a fortune on batteries. Amazon might be able to find the cheapest Slim, but i'm not sure.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
I read that the 4Gb version fo SLIM has had problems with something. dont remember what it was though >.<

Think it was when playing a game

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would go PS3 if you have to play on a console. PSN is free and sony isn't as much of a dick as MS

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coopsman1 View Post
Personally I would stay away from the XBOX, too many have I had to repair for friends, family, colleges.
the newer Jasper and XBOX360 Slims have none of the problems that plagued the earlier XBOX360s. 2) PSN is a joke compared to XBOX Live for console gaming. Yes, I've had both at the same time for about two weeks = more than enough time to assess the two.

@OP: Get the best and highest hard drive capacity you can afford.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Don't get the 4GB Slim verison trust me save yourself $30 and just get the Slim $250 dollar verison.

Trust me I wasted $30 extra for the hard drive two days later.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
the newer Jasper and XBOX360 Slims have none of the problems that plagued the earlier XBOX360s. 2) PSN is a joke compared to XBOX Live for console gaming. Yes, I've had both at the same time for about two weeks = more than enough time to assess the two.

@OP: Get the best and highest hard drive capacity you can afford.
This ^^^

I owned a PS3 and traded for a 360. Since then I've owned 3 different revisions of 360, most recently the new slim 250gb. Out of them all, this is the one to get. Built in wi-fi N is excellent and the console is also very quiet.

The only additional thing you will need is and HDMI cable as the slim only comes with a scart (&Yellow/White/Red connectors). You get a bundled wireless controller, headset and power brick. The hard drive is already inside the console.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobicon View Post
Don't get the 4GB Slim verison trust me save yourself $30 and just get the Slim $250 dollar verison.

Trust me I wasted $30 extra for the hard drive two days later.
OR you could have odne what I did and gotten a WD2500BEVT from newegg for 40$ and flashed it to an xbox 360 firmware, and then you would have an xbox 360 slim 250gb with matte black finish and $60 saved.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What you need to get with the 360 is the best cushioned chair with leg rests and a better headset than what's supplied (like any of the Turtlebeach headsets with 5.1) and enjoy!

Not trying to start a debate, but I don't know about all that PS3 hoopla. I have two 360's and PS3 with a 750gb upgrade. The PS3 is fantastic as a simple Home Theater computer with it's easy xmb interface or at least that's how I treat it, cause most of the games just suck on that console or already available on the Xbox. IMO, Killzone 2 and upcoming Killzone 3 and Uncharted 1&2 are their only flagship games worth playing over and over. If you like those goofy and gimicky Japanese inspired games that should be on the Wii like little big planet, mod nation, etc....then that's up to the user...but sports games are it's strongest point cause they play better on the PS3.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
My old ass elite came with the cable and it RROD after a couple years but I got back a new unit. Oh well the new ones have no problems, and XBOX Live is the best.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
if your running a network make sure you check to see if your router is compatiable. When my brother got a 360 router wasnt had to downgrade model from wbr-1310 gold to the regular wireless g.. He couldnt talk to some friends in games and couldnt join certain games..

Also cant access movies, music, or pictures on a computer thru your xbox unless you have a xbox live membership silver or gold..

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
The new 360 Slim would be a decent console, you can get Halo: Reach, Gears of War and all the other multiplatform games.

Having said that I would recommend getting a PS3 Slim over Xbox 360 any day. Free online play is where its at. With a PS3 you can get games like God Of War, Deamon Souls, and a wide collection of PS1 classics such as FF7, FF8 and FF9.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts