Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I wanted some advice based on experience which one to buy now...
The owners threads are so long here hard to get an overview :)

- Asus PG348Q
- Acer XB271HU bmiprz
- Viewsonic XG2703-GS

What I know is that Asus/Viewsonic feels bit more quality than Acer. Asus seem to have more Problems with stronger BLB (from some reviews I read at least). Acer sold more but maybe because of cheaper price? Acer seems not perfect for multi-monitor setup because of that bigger bottom border (but no multi-monitor planned actually).

Maybe you have some thoughts from your panel lottery :)

·
Banned
393 Posts
I have a PG279Q 1440p 165hz and it is amazing. I'd be inclined to say go for the ASUS choice. Although ACER tend to use the same displays for cheaper.

12345us3r obviously hasn't owned a 1440p screen as he wouldn't give you that advice. 1440p 144hz is currently the gaming sweet spot. I choose this over 4k/60hz. I certainly wouldn't go back to 1080p.

A 1080ti is required to really use the 144hz @ 1440p though. 1080/1070ti would be better for 1080p @ high refresh rate.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy whatever choice you make :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have tested the following 1440p monitors: Dell S2716DG (1x), Acer XB271HUb (5-6x), Acer XF270HUA (5-6x), LG 32GK850G (3x), Samsung C34F791 (2x), BenQ EX3501R (1x), BenQ Zowie XL2730 (1x), Asus MG279Q (1x). Maybe I forgot one or two monitors.

Why I can't recommend any of these monitors:

Dell S2716DG: Pixel inversion, color banding (color banding fix stopped working with the newest Nvidia driver)
Acer XB271HUb: Very distracting IPS glow in the lower right corner (every unit has it), darker games are better on a cheap TN panel
Acer XF270HUA: Same panel, same issue
LG 32GK850G: 2 out of 3 had pixel inversion, all of them had very blurry text
Samsung C34F791: Mesh / diamond pattern effect during movement, slow panel
BenQ EX3501R: Very slow and smeary panel, darker games are almost unplayable, also tons of VA glow
BenQ Zowie XL2730: Terrible coating, broken gamma curve
Asus MG279Q: Broken gamma curve as well, very distracting IPS glow

The Asus PG279Q uses the samel panel (different revision) as the XB271HUb and XF270HUA, although it has a worse panel frame construction and therefore even worse BLB and IPS glow.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have tested the following 1440p monitors: Dell S2716DG (1x), Acer XB271HUb (5-6x), Acer XF270HUA (5-6x), LG 32GK850G (3x), Samsung C34F791 (2x), BenQ EX3501R (1x), BenQ Zowie XL2730 (1x), Asus MG279Q (1x). Maybe I forgot one or two monitors.

Dell S2716DG: Pixel inversion, color banding (color banding fix stopped working with the newest Nvidia driver)
Acer XB271HUb: Very distracting IPS glow in the lower right corner (every unit has it), darker games are better on a cheap TN panel
BenQ EX3501R: Very slow and smeary panel, darker games are almost unplayable, also tons of VA glow

The Asus PG279Q uses the samel panel (different revision) as the XB271HUb and XF270HUA, although it has a worse panel frame construction and therefore even worse BLB and IPS glow.
Did you really get one 32GK850G without any vertical scanlines? The two I tried were exactly the same with the inversion.

Any other display I've owned I can't see even a hint of scanlines when trying to look for them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I haven't noticed any lines on my second LG 32GK850G. Maybe they were so faint I couldn't see them but I'm used to a Dell S2716DG with tons of pixel inversion, so my eyes are trained to see these lines. All units have one issue in common though: The text is very blurry and every 1080p TN panel is sharper.

·
Banned
393 Posts

The glow depends. I had to RMA to get one with acceptable glow. The PG278Q uses TN panel if that would be better. I've noticed going to 1440p or above brings some sort of trade off. For pure gaming use it has never been an issue for me. But I did come from a 24" 1920x1200 Dell IPS and it was quite the jump!

Still the $2000 4k/144hz monitors have a major trade off with colour too! Crazy if you ask me, we are talking high end displays afterall

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
There is only one 1440p 144hz left for me to try, it's the Samsung C27HG70. But I've already read bad stuff about it.
Id just like to thank you for being one of the many beta testers around, saves us other people a lot of time and money

·
Registered
225 Posts
Id just like to thank you for being one of the many beta testers around, saves us other people a lot of time and money
He does not consider that dark games on a TN with vertical color shift make things darker toward the top of the screen (you lose even more detail in darker games).

I personally enjoy gaming on my XG2703 and only wish it ran to 240Hz. I've had XG2703's running side by side to like 5 other monitors and nothing compares to the value for money a good 1440p IPS 165Hz screen offers. They are my second and third monitors now because I'm using an AOC AG251FG for competitive games as my primary (with 240Hz and G-SYNC permanently enabled for a reduction in ghosting versus 144-165Hz), but it falls short to IPS displays like mine (and others such as AG271QG) in every other area. Please don't let one comment put you off, especially if you can drive 1440p. The only reason to buy anything else is because it's either a) more affordable, b) you want higher refresh rates, or c) you don't want to take a risk.

Sure you can get unlucky with IPS Glow and there's work to be done, but do look further than one comment. There are so many other advantages to both an increased resolution and IPS which mean as soon as a 240Hz 1440p display becomes available I won't think twice about upgrading providing it has G-SYNC.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What's more distracting? A darker image towards the top of the screen or a floodlight in the lower right corner? If I had to choose between a 1080p 6-bit TN panel and one of these AHVA panels for dark games, I would take the TN panel every time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What's more distracting? A darker image towards the top of the screen or a floodlight in the lower right corner? If I had to choose between a 1080p 6-bit TN panel and one of these AHVA panels for dark games, I would take the TN panel every time.
This is based on your experience and that's fine (I personally agree with it if you game in a dark room, regardless of the amount of glow - subtle or not), but it doesn't change my point either.

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
He does not consider that dark games on a TN with vertical color shift make things darker toward the top of the screen (you lose even more detail in darker games).

I personally enjoy gaming on my XG2703 and only wish it ran to 240Hz. I've had XG2703's running side by side to like 5 other monitors and nothing compares to the value for money a good 1440p IPS 165Hz screen offers. They are my second and third monitors now because I'm using an AOC AG251FG for competitive games as my primary (with 240Hz and G-SYNC permanently enabled for a reduction in ghosting versus 144-165Hz), but it falls short to IPS displays like mine (and others such as AG271QG) in every other area. Please don't let one comment put you off, especially if you can drive 1440p. The only reason to buy anything else is because it's either a) more affordable, b) you want higher refresh rates, or c) you don't want to take a risk.

Sure you can get unlucky with IPS Glow and there's work to be done, but do look further than one comment. There are so many other advantages to both an increased resolution and IPS which mean as soon as a 240Hz 1440p display becomes available I won't think twice about upgrading providing it has G-SYNC.
TN gamma shift sucks out loud indeed, but so does getting messed up eyes cause of wonky pixel layouts

Id honestly rather have worse view angles than fuzzy, eye-watering text rendering, which seems to be a recurring theme for all the 1440p 144/165 IPS monitors

No idea if its as bad as for the Samsung C24FG70 series though, that VA panel is just plain -bad-

Of course we got trolled by acer with the VG0 series thing not being very informative, letting us have a slight hope for a non-curved 1080p 144hz+ IPS panel.
.. seems thats not to happen though.

Oh well.

·
Registered
225 Posts

TN gamma shift sucks out loud indeed, but so does getting messed up eyes cause of wonky pixel layouts

Id honestly rather have worse view angles than fuzzy, eye-watering text rendering, which seems to be a recurring theme for all the 1440p 144/165 IPS monitors

No idea if its as bad as for the Samsung C24FG70 series though, that VA panel is just plain -bad-

Of course we got trolled by acer with the VG0 series thing not being very informative, letting us have a slight hope for a non-curved 1080p 144hz+ IPS panel.
.. seems thats not to happen though.

Oh well.
The text is funny because of curve and no other reason. It's sharp on flat panels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The text on the LG 32GK850G (flat VA panel) is actually nowhere near sharp. AHVA has a sharpness lottery, so you can get a sharp one if you are lucky. The sharpness of AHVA panels never bothered me though.

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
The text is funny because of curve and no other reason. It's sharp on flat panels.
I seem to recall several images from that series with the same pixel layout, regardless if it being curved.

but i bet those are buried in a sea of posts heh

·
Registered
27 Posts

Using EX3501R, I can confirm that this panel is quite slow. Haven't noticed VA glow, maybe don't know what to look for or not bothered by it (really don't like ips glow).

What monitor would you recommend if I'm looking for a good, fast refresh rate 1440p gaming monitor ? It seems that you have a quite an experience with different panels/monitors.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I've used both a XB271HU and a XB270HU.

I own the 270, I got it cheap used and I wouldn't go back to 60Hz or even 1080p.

I'd suggest the XB271 honestly, only issue is that the stand looks gamery..

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
well I have a MG279Q 1440p 27" 144Hz, and a dell Ultra sharp 1600p 30" 60Hz, both are IPS panels. personally I like both of these monitors, if one tries to get a cheap high end monitor. it would seem that you really do get what you pay for these days, there is no way around having to pay a premium price for a good high resolution monitor. if you want the best don't look at the price, just read the reviews, and decide form there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts