Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
im looken to buy an alienware laptop but i need a little reviewing.

iv looked around i have seen some really good yet wallet burning laptops. then i found the Area-51® m7700, it seems real good but is it. since im not the best on rating things:withstupi i was wondering if the people of the overclock fourms good give me a tip. Is it a good buy for a gamer who plays games constantly and wants good performance and quality for on the go. thanks to anyone who can help me out with my choosing.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Well laptops arew really expensive if you want top of the line.....but alienwares are the creme of the crop, try looking into the Dell XPS laptop....hear good thingy frim them too.....but alienwares are VERY good laptops....and if you want a good laptop youll have to burn a hole in your wallet

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
If you want any kind of battery life, stay away from alienware.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah do you plan on havin git plugged up whil eyou game? PLaying a game on a laptop you will not get barely any battery life.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im usally trucken around on vacations in a 30foot RV, so with the generator running ill have power. ill need at least a 3 hour battery for school trips and minor other things.

also im slowly upgrading my desktop, so does anyone know a good motherboard under $100 for a dell dimension 3000. check my system or PM me for more info.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by death25

im usally trucken around on vacations in a 30foot RV, so with the generator running ill have power. ill need at least a 3 hour battery for school trips and minor other things.

also im slowly upgrading my desktop, so does anyone know a good motherboard under $100 for a dell dimension 3000. check my system or PM me for more info.

I SERIOUSLY doubt you will find a good gaming laptop with 3 hour battery life. And there's no way you'll be able to get a 17'' screen on it for 3 hour battery life either.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You must keep in mind, especially when buying a top of the line Alienware laptop; those things are big time power drainers. Most of the high-end laptop hardware that Alienware sells imitates desktop hardware, and therefore uses LOTS of power. Some of them have 17'' LCDs instead of 15.4 which is much more draining of the battery; though it would still probably wouldn't last that much longer even with a bit smaller of a screen. Wireless LAN also uses more of the battery; as well as the digital camera that you can optionally build in to some of their models. Just to top off battery use, they also have several LEDs if I'm not mistaken. ^_^ I'd give the battery life on a high-end Alienware laptop somewhere around 1 hr 20 min-1 hr 45 min. You can always buy more than one battery if you want; but as I said earlier, I doubt you will find a great laptop with 3 hour battery life because most gaming laptops are very power demanding.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
get a a thinkpad - they do a model with a kick ass GPU - it has its own dedicated RAM. Thinkpads have amazing build quality and they're battery life rocks! it should cost as much as an alienware either - just get a stick of gig ram for it

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.n...K?OpenDocument

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
That thinkpad has 3 hour battery life but can be upgraded to god knows what - some say 7. You can change the ultra bay for another battery and change the normal one for a one with an extra 3 cells.

That'll give you plenty mobile performance. And as for looks - see if you can get the titanium version - they look uber nice

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that does sound good, but after looken at the desktops on http://www.ibuypower.com/

i think im just going to buy one of those, there good. much better then what i have and well iv hauled my desktop all over, from school to niagra falls so i think ill stick with a desktop for now because it all fits in my duffle bag. but im still going to looken for a while.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hold up, i found a deal in the paper, its a "toshiba for $499" it has as follows.
intel celeron M processor 380 notbook with dvd/cd-rw combo drive. 512mb DDR2, 60GB harddrive, integrated 802.11g wireless LAN ATI Mobility, Radeon Xpress 200M graphics.

how does that sound, not to good for gaming im guessing......

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
If you were going to get it I would recommend another stick of 512 or 1gb. As for the Hard drive - 60gb is about the right size for that money. You could even replace it if you feel the need.

Seems like a good deal - i havent had any experience with toshiba laptops but ive heard good things. What series is it?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
my r50e has a dothan - it kicks ass - it can beat something with a higher clock into the ground.

I whooped an AthlonXp 2600+ at the 1m SuperPi Benchy by 8 seconds

Dothans are great chips - probably the only intels i'd buy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats true, i can always throw somethen better in it after i buy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.