Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about purchasing parts and building computer for media storage and home automation.

I had someone recommend a guy on ebay selling ES chips and since i never bought an ES chip befote i figured i would ask the community. He bought one and hasnt had an issue.

Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 LGA2011-3 is a $1600, but the guy is selling it for $350 (from Japan)with a warranty (if that means anything).

What it be worth the investment if i were thinking of buying a similar chip anyways? I was.planning on buying a $350 retail verson (less cores). Which us the E5 2620V3 2.4GHz.

Is the ES a good deal or two risky?

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
I personally would not risk that deal. Often times overseas retailers will offer deals, and ship something that is not even close to what they describes, and because they are out of the country there is basically nothing you can do about it.

Besides, something with that many cores, do you really need it for consumer grade home automation/media storage? Your cheaper chip will likely work just as good as the 2670, but with much less risk.

My motto is, if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's ebay, you can get your $$ back if it doesn't work.

I've had a few ES/QS cpus from the c2q era in laptops. Some of them ran a little warmer some had an older 'stepping' that was supposedly slower.

I have never had one that didn't work or die on me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts