Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I built my first computer a few months back and at the time I was not informed about modular power supplies. Now that I know about them though I will never get a regular psu because my cords are everywhere. I have the 650TX in this case and its just terrible. Im going to crossfire and I hope to eventually watercool so I dont know how many watts ill need. What power supply should I get?

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Your current unit is fine for the setup you have in mind, but if you want a modular that's another matter entirely. You can get yourself another 650W unit, modular this time, and you'll be quite fine.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
seasonic x series or the corsair ax series would be top notch...
fully modular and they come in smaller wattages

sometimes it's hard to stick it in though
EDIT: the leads of the modular cable i mean

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyubimark;14247118
Okay so I built my first computer a few months back and at the time I was not informed about modular power supplies. Now that I know about them though I will never get a regular psu because my cords are everywhere. I have the 650TX in this case and its just terrible. Im going to crossfire and I hope to eventually watercool so I dont know how many watts ill need. What power supply should I get?
Modular is overrated,IMO. I end up using almost all of the cables anyways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's alright, maybe efficient, but IMO wouldn't feel as clean as the Corsair HX750 (and I may have seem to be advocating Corsair's products in the last few of my posts but they are really good PSU's, clean and probably the most efficient on the market.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyubimark;14247367
But what if I add a card reader a blu ray drive and like 3 hds plus water cooling? lol

If I can do all of that on a 750w why does 1000w psu even exist
you can have more than two video cards
thumb.gif
(trisli/trifire and quadsli/quadfire will require that much juice)

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFZhong;14247368
It's alright, maybe efficient, but IMO wouldn't feel as clean as the Corsair HX750 (and I may have seem to be advocating Corsair's products in the last few of my posts but they are really good PSU's, clean and probably the most efficient on the market.
Too bad that the Corsair TX650V2 and the XFX PRO 650 both are based off of the same SeaSonic base. The XFX Pro 750 and the Corsair TX750V2 are the same. The reason 1000Watt power supplies exist are for rigs with more then two video cards. A 650 watt for two 6950s will work perfectly fine.

Source

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Corsair and Seasonic make great modular PSU's in the 650-750w range. If you go Corsair make sure you get the fully modular one.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory;14247540
Corsair and Seasonic make great modular PSU's in the 650-750w range. If you go Corsair make sure you get the fully modular one.
Corsair doesn't make their power supplies... The only one that comes to mind is the AX1200 which I believe is their own design but I'm not 100%. Most of their units are built by Seasonic.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nioxic;14247582
I love my corsair 1200W gold thing..

only backside is that its a bit longer than your avg. PSU.

but its not a problem unless you got a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny case. :b

theres prolly other psu's around.
AX1200 and a 560Ti. i'm assuming you're upgrading to 3-way 580s soon correct? Either that or whatever replaces the 580 with the new series. Cant wait to see that beast!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts