Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after buying the q6600 for my sister (as stated in my last post), I decided to jump on the intel bandwagon. Here's what I need: I want a good quad core cpu (and decent at OC'ing of coarse). The pc will be for 99% gaming 1% other. My price range is £100-£160. Any and all ideas are welcome. I am planning on buying all components tomorrow which will be matched with a GTX275 and 4Gb DDR2 Kingston Hyperx (pulled out of my wife's old machine).

So I just need the best I can get. I would pay higher but I still need to get a mobo to match it

·
Registered
739 Posts
Personally I think you should buy a good dual core if you're going to be gaming 99% of the time when using it.

If you are going socket 775, get a P45 chipset mother board. That's my

·
Registered
89 Posts
You should go for i7 but since your price range for processor is not that much. £208 is the cheapest i have seen for 920 i7. Are you getting another cpu cooler? planning on overclocking?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im gonna use either my old artic feezer or my curreny xig achilles cooler the only ones ive looked at that seem good and withen price are q6600 slacr and q8400 but i know little to nothing about intel cpu's

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you want to keep the cost low, as advised above go S775 and P45. Then try and get in on a 45nm Quadcore as they are moch better overall than the 65nm counterparts.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Ok, since you said you already have DDR2 for it, you are stuck using the 775 socket. Unless of course you decide to buy RAM as well....

The P45 chipset is definitely the one you want. It will OC the crap out of CPU's and so so with stability.

As for CPU....I think it is a waste NOT to buy a quad. I mean, you don't want to buy a whole new system in the next 2 years, do you? Some do... If you plan to, then go E8400. If you want it to last a bit longer, go Q9550. It runs cooler than the Q6600, OC's better, and you have newer instructions on it...

You should be able to find those used pretty cheaply priced.

Edit: Wait, are you coming from the PII system that you have listed in your signature rig? If so, you should know that you are really not going to see much of a difference at all. The PII's perform very simliar to the Q9xxx series from Intel. I used to have a PII 945, and gave it to my father and "upgraded" to a i5 750. Yes, the intel is faster and OC's better, but I wasted my money. I definitely would not do it to go to a Q9xxx chip. Oh, and yes. Gaming is what I do with the vast majority of my usage as well. Maybe keep what you have and go SSD??

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you can get a dual for a GREAT price, there's no reason not to grab it but if you can spend the extra on a quad do so!

Otherwise, be sure you get a good board if you plan to OC a quad. They tend to stress parts when you push them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks guys the motherboard im going for is http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161009

and either q6**** or Q9**** gonna do some fishing around for prices,
and to answer an earlier question my sig rig is the comp im on now and this may sound greedy but i want a intel/nvidia gaming pc as well as my amd/ati one mainly because when my wife wants to go crazy on bfbc2 i can just jump on the other pc and visa versa i was originaly going to buy another amd/ati set but i wanted a change
and intel has some great oc'ing and performance from what ive read and as ive always been amd i thought it was about time to try intel out

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok after further research im thinking either q9*** or i5 my question is what is the real life gaming difference because if i get i5 im gonna have to buy all new stuff will i actaully notice any difference if not then its defiantly gonna be q9 i mean i5 vs q9 in gaming only

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by issy
View Post

ok after further research im thinking either q9*** or i5 my question is what is the real life gaming difference because if i get i5 im gonna have to buy all new stuff will i actaully notice any difference if not then its defiantly gonna be q9 i mean i5 vs q9 in gaming only

No, you wont. I have an i5 rig, my brother has a Q6600 rig.

For gaming, you won't notice much of a difference, not now anyway. Both are easily capable of producing well over 60FPS in games. The only way I could see a benefit to the i5 would be long term.

A few years down the road you might see a larger difference depending on what developers do. They both should OC to 4ghz fine. As long as you have a descent air cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DK_mz
View Post

look for a Q9550 or so. great cpus they are

Maybe you didn't check his link? That is what he has listed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts