Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1800x Saddness
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finishing last piece of GF's build tomorrow, and taking last leap and buying her cpu for system I've been piecing together slowly from sales, open boxes etc.

I've narrowed it down basically to two;

i5-4460 (236$CAD)
or
Xeon 1241V3 (339$CAD)

the i5 Just came down in price from 249$ guessing since our dollar has been rising, xeon obviously little slower to follow;
I have enough money and was prepared to buy the Xeon but really can't ignore a 100$ or nearly 40%+ price increase over the i5.
Would be enough money to buy like the NZXT hue+ system I wanted to put in her system. (80$)

So basically I'm left with, I was originally going for the Xeon for the peace of mind that during multitasking she'd pretty much as little as possible experience any sort of chugging, or any real issues;
She isn't a super power user, but I just think of how I use my system currently ([email protected]) 1080p60fps youtube video running + teamspeak + skype + discord + dark souls 3.

All few % each but significantly chug performance of actual game; now I don't think for most part she'd be doing anything that intensive,
Secondlife which is a totally single threaded game I know that much, and mutlitasking and light-weight/fun titles outside of that.
______

I think I know the answer that the i5 should be plenty and shouldn't really cause any significant bottlenecks
just rags at back of my mind that xeon is better in a few ways, such as better heatsink should be quieter etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
I'd honestly go for the 4460, going by your description I don't see enough of a benefit to going with the xeon to justify the price difference.

If temperature and noise are a concern as you said, why not spend some of the money you saved on a good aftermarket cooler?
 

·
1800x Saddness
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theres literally not benefit of going for a Skylake > 4460, I've done that research.

I'm able to give her 8gb of my RAM this way since I don't reallllly need 16gb.

Skylake just costs a bundle more then haswell, and the lower tier one 6400 is actually Lower performance
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neokolzia View Post

Theres literally not benefit of going for a Skylake > 4460, I've done that research.

I'm able to give her 8gb of my RAM this way since I don't reallllly need 16gb.

Skylake just costs a bundle more then haswell, and the lower tier one 6400 is actually Lower performance
skylake non k can be oced with the bios for z170
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
LGA2011 Xeon 2670 V1 on ebay is $70 or $120 for a pair
rolleyes.gif
thumb.gif


Oh, you have an 1150 board already. I might toy around with a super budget "monster" next time I can afford to do a project. I don't care if it's a weaker processor, that's 32 threads if you get a dual socket board!!
 

·
1800x Saddness
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimensive View Post

I have the H7 and it's definitely worth it, though it was kind of a pain to install.
ya I definately know the h7 would be better though I wonder if its gets up to the 50db by itself at like stock speeds which obviously the i5 4460 is

Reason for picking either at this point is the white fan, which I don't think I'm going to be buying the Hue+ immediately but one of those upgrades next time I visit and have a bit more money.

C7 I know will be quiet and more then enough to cool it, h7 is even better obviously but fan won't be as much of a LED beacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief3k View Post

LGA2011 Xeon 2670 V1 on ebay is $70 or $120 for a pair
rolleyes.gif
thumb.gif


Oh, you have an 1150 board already. I might toy around with a super budget "monster" next time I can afford to do a project. I don't care if it's a weaker processor, that's 32 threads if you get a dual socket board!!
Oh I'm fully aware of amazing xeon's and dual socket mobo combo's etc, I would just be concerned about single threaded performance and reliability with wacky bios and just a system not designed for gaming at all.

I'd try it on mine but not on hers where I don't want it fing up, hence not buying any used parts.

Ya I picked up a MSI H81M-E34 motherboard for 60$CAD so will do the trick, little bit skimpy on a few things for sure on that mobo, i.e fact it only has 3 fan outputs so I have to buy a y splitter for the front 2 chassis fans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
I feel like you'd be surprised how reliable server grade parts would be for a desktop environment. If you got ECC ram especially. You'd be able to do as much as you wanted with so much resources to spare! And you'd probably end up saving a bunch. I've seen plenty of videos on youtube praising this set up.

Also, since overclocking isn't as easy as changing a multiplier, everything should just work out of the box, technically. My triple core AMD system from 2010 has never had a blue screen once, sure it's not a xeon dual socket setup, but it's an example of how stable a system usually is when there's nothing you can change and nothing to worry about, sometimes it's just nice that way. Perfect for my parents. (that processor is easily overclocked but it's the board that doesn't have any OC features, simple as it gets)
 

·
1800x Saddness
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief3k View Post

I feel like you'd be surprised how reliable server grade parts would be for a desktop environment. If you got ECC ram especially. You'd be able to do as much as you wanted with so much resources to spare! And you'd probably end up saving a bunch. I've seen plenty of videos on youtube praising this set up.

Also, since overclocking isn't as easy as changing a multiplier, everything should just work out of the box, technically. My triple core AMD system from 2010 has never had a blue screen once, sure it's not a xeon dual socket setup, but it's an example of how stable a system usually is when there's nothing you can change and nothing to worry about, sometimes it's just nice that way. Perfect for my parents. (that processor is easily overclocked but it's the board that doesn't have any OC features, simple as it gets)
Oh thats one positive I can say towards my fx6300 compared to my i7 860 and i7 2600k and i7 3930HQ all had blue screen issues.

Fx6300 maybeeee once every 3-4 months? vs the intels were a weekly thing.

Bought the components, I5 4460, nzxt hue+, and a fan splitter cable.

Will grin and bear the stock cooler for now, The cyrorigs, which have the nice white fans are only avaliable in the USA without paying huge cost for international shipping. So will just buy one when I'm down there and get it sent to her place
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neokolzia View Post

Oh thats one positive I can say towards my fx6300 compared to my i7 860 and i7 2600k and i7 3930HQ all had blue screen issues.

Fx6300 maybeeee once every 3-4 months? vs the intels were a weekly thing.

Bought the components, I5 4460, nzxt hue+, and a fan splitter cable.

Will grin and bear the stock cooler for now, The cyrorigs, which have the nice white fans are only avaliable in the USA without paying huge cost for international shipping. So will just buy one when I'm down there and get it sent to her place
Only time i get bsod on my intel (Sandy) and amd (phenom) is when i oc them too high for benching. Never in regular use and they are old. four/five years old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
Yeah I only ever get BSOD from OC instability...You have to know what you're doing to avoid running into problems, or know what you did wrong to go back and fix them.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top