Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im about to buy a nexus one from google. the current phone that i have is over 3 years old and is pure crap. is there anything anyone can tell me that might stop me from buying the nexus one?

anything like, new phones coming out in 2-3 months price is going to drop by 200$, you know things like that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The only bad thing there is that sometimes the keyboard goes crazy, not often, just flakes out and you have to hit the button on the top to shut off the screen and hit it again. Other then that its a wonderful phone. I went from a G1 to iphone 3g to a Nexus one, great phone and fun to have.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky79 View Post
The only bad thing there is that sometimes the keyboard goes crazy, not often, just flakes out and you have to hit the bottom on the top to shut off the screen and hit it again. Other then that its a wonderful phone. I went from a G1 to iphone 3g to a Nexus one, great phone and fun to have.
yeah same here, this and the touchscreen. sometimes the touchscreen doesnt register your touching of the screen correctly but all you have to do, as said before, is turn the screen off then on.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What service are you going to be using? If you're going to use AT&T, no go on the 3G as of yet; but I believe the 3G connectivity issues compared to similar phones in the same area was fixed with an over the air patch. I heard from a verizon wireless rep that Google might sign something with Verizon in the summer or near holidays with the nexus one...so I don't know if that will be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloke226 View Post
What service are you going to be using? If you're going to use AT&T, no go on the 3G as of yet; but I believe the 3G connectivity issues compared to similar phones in the same area was fixed with an over the air patch. I heard from a verizon wireless rep that Google might sign something with Verizon in the summer or near holidays with the nexus one...so I don't know if that will be a deciding factor.
Nexus One has been released for AT&T 3G recently, check their website

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloke226 View Post
I heard from a verizon wireless rep that Google might sign something with Verizon in the summer or near holidays with the nexus one...so I don't know if that will be a deciding factor.
It even says on the Nexus One website that it will be released for Verizon this spring. We're switching in July to Verizon and it's my planned acquisition. I just heard on the radio this morning that they are going to be announcing the release date for it soon as well, so it's not far off at all.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
The Nexus One is an amazing phone. I love mine. I rooted and installed the latest Cyan build rom to speed things up. It's awesome.

Again like others said, the screen will sometimes go wacked. very rarely though, not enough to stray me from buying it again. This will be fixed in a firmware update soon also. The phone has 512mb of RAM, and 512mb of Flash memory for apps n such. no other phone has this much.

Regarding your is there another phone question. Look up the HTC Desire, it's basically the N1 with actual hardware buttons instead of on screen soft buttons, and it's also running android 2.1 with HTC Sense UI over it, sense can be left on, or disabled so you look like vanilla android, and I prefer android just the way it is. The Desire also has like 50mb more memory, but thats not much of a deal changer.. It also has a Optical trackpad instead of the trackball like on the N1. but recently cracks have allowed trackball colors, and I'd rather have that then the optical pad. my large trackball is blue for txt'd, green for email, and white for missed calls.. perfect.

Enjoy ur amazing new device

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
It even says on the Nexus One website that it will be released for Verizon this spring. We're switching in July to Verizon and it's my planned acquisition. I just heard on the radio this morning that they are going to be announcing the release date for it soon as well, so it's not far off at all.
Oh sooner than I thought
I spoke to the guy couple of weeks ago about phones since my contract with T-Mobile will be ending this summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
Nexus One has been released for AT&T 3G recently, check their website

Wow, must have been recent within the week or so? I usually try to keep up my reading on the smartphones.

I'm glad Google is expanding to other providers then

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im defineitly buying this phone, but dont know from where. either Ebay or google, the reason i dont want to get it from google is that i read that there is over $80+ customs fees if you buy it straight from them.

unless i can confirm or deny this im going to hold off on buying it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought mine from Google. I didnt pay any extra fees.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky79
View Post

I bought mine from Google. I didnt pay any extra fees.

im in canada, we get screwed over on alot of things from the states because of customs/shipping.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaid View Post
im in canada, we get screwed over on alot of things from the states because of customs/shipping.
Oh ok, I dont know anything about that. Your profile says your in the US.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Something no one has mentioned is that the daylight visibility is supposedly not good due to the AMOLED screen. I can't vouch for this personally since I don't have one, but it has been mentioned in several reviews (and is a know complaint with AMOLED screens in general).

Other than that, it looks like a great phone. My brother has it and he says he likes it, but he lives out of my area so I haven't seen or used his.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenutty1 View Post
Something no one has mentioned is that the daylight visibility is supposedly not good due to the AMOLED screen. I can't vouch for this personally since I don't have one, but it has been mentioned in several reviews (and is a know complaint with AMOLED screens in general).

Other than that, it looks like a great phone. My brother has it and he says he likes it, but he lives out of my area so I haven't seen or used his.
It's a good point, I forgot about that, but usually in reviews it's been a minor gripe, not a deal breaker on getting the phone or not

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloke226
View Post

It's a good point, I forgot about that, but usually in reviews it's been a minor gripe, not a deal breaker on getting the phone or not

I totally agree. I just thought it should be mentioned so he isn't surprised when the phone is really hard to use in direct sunlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts