Overclock.net banner

Buying RAM right now!!! question...

604 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  bdattilo 
#1 ·
Already ordered my E6600 & Gigabyte DS3. Now I need RAM. I'm most likely getting some 2Gb G. Skill DDR2 800 HZ. I was thinking about getting some higher rated HZs but the price goes up astronomically. Being pretty much the same RAM I'll just overclock the inexpensive stuff.

Question, won't I need some cheap RAM just to boot the computer in order to get into the bios and raise the vdimm so that the G. Skill will boot? ...or is this something that was fixed with a bios update? I've been on vaation and I haven't kept up with the latest news so let me know.

See less See more
#4 ·
As far as I know you won't need any cheap memory to get to the BIOS. BUT I have seen issues with it. People say they had to go at least +0.3v to get it to boot, and to do they they had to use a crappy stick, but I think that was the F1 BIOS. I think it is worth a shot to try without a "boot stick" and just get one if it doesn't work.

• Rep+
Reactions: Transonic
#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy

As far as I know you won't need any cheap memory to get to the BIOS. BUT I have seen issues with it. People say they had to go at least +0.3v to get it to boot, and to do they they had to use a crappy stick, but I think that was the F1 BIOS. I think it is worth a shot to try without a "boot stick" and just get one if it doesn't work.

Yea, we definitely needed +.3V. Used some chepo Gateway RAM to get it up and running first.

#6 ·
I've heard that the DS3 will boot up with the G.Skills but I'm not entirely sure about that. It's probably fixed in a bios update as you said

#7 ·
Yeah I mean the cheap Ram is only like 20+ bucks but I coulda swore I read somewhere that the G. Skill needed like 2.0 or 2.1v to boot.

There's a review on newegg where someone booted right up with his DS3... any objections?
Going once, going twice...

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam144

I've heard that the DS3 will boot up with the G.Skills but I'm not entirely sure about that. It's probably fixed in a bios update as you said

How'd you get yours to boot the first time? Did you even try with the G. Skill first?

#9 ·
The F1 BIOS boots for the first time with 1.8Vdimm, and you have to have RAM capable of booting with 1.8Vdimm to get past POST.
The G.Skill HZ RAM with Micron D9 chips are becoming known as the "BH-5" of DDR2, they can run tight timings and high frequencies at low voltages. G.Skill HZ (black-heatspreaders) can boot at 1.8Vdimm without a problem.
OCZ, Patroit, some G.Skill series (LA,PK, for example), and other memory that cannot boot at 1.8Vdimm are known to have problems with the Gigabyte DS3 on first boot, BUT the G.Skill HZ sticks you are ordering is NOT one of these!
I guarantee you, from my own experience, that you will not need "cheap-o" RAM for your first boot on the DS3 even if it comes preloaded with the F1 BIOS, if you use your G.Skill HZs.

#12 ·
It's ordered. Wow I just dropped $800 on my lunch hour!!!

Ok no more spending. Anyway, this should be a good setup. Thanks for the quick help fellas. Much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.