Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am about to start learning and working on perfecting custom sleeved cable extensions. I have watched many of the Lutro0 Customs videos and love what he has done for this community. I also have read that he has fallen on some personal hardship and if he is reading, keep your head up buddy.

I have looked on the Mainframe Customs site and they seem to have most of what Mike from Lutro0 recommends. I know that there are a few other sites that sell either the same, or similar quality sleeving products. My question is, should someone buy from on of these smaller companies, or is there a larger electronic retailer that one should buy from? Since I am new to this hobby I do not want to have to learn the hard way by spending more money than I have to for the same product. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Kris

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyice View Post

Hello. I am about to start learning and working on perfecting custom sleeved cable extensions. I have watched many of the Lutro0 Customs videos and love what he has done for this community. I also have read that he has fallen on some personal hardship and if he is reading, keep your head up buddy.

I have looked on the Mainframe Customs site and they seem to have most of what Mike from Lutro0 recommends. I know that there are a few other sites that sell either the same, or similar quality sleeving products. My question is, should someone buy from on of these smaller companies, or is there a larger electronic retailer that one should buy from? Since I am new to this hobby I do not want to have to learn the hard way by spending more money than I have to for the same product. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Kris
Sleeving products, or do you want to buy pins/connectors in quantity? you can certainly buy them from places such as Mouser or Newark. (I do because I go through a lot at times). I also buy shrink tubing from a large company because 4 foot lengths are pretty cheap.

But if you want a "one stop shop" for sleeving as well as pins and connectors and possibly pay a little more then you can certainly do that as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at buying the plastic connectors and terminal ends in quantity. One thing I am finding on sites like Mouser and Newark is finding the correct parts ca be tedious. It's like searching for a needle in a stack of needles.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the link. I am still new at this so finding what I need is still a little confusing. I know I just need the male and female connectors for the 24 pin ATX, 6 and 8 pin PCIe, 8 pin EPS etc. I was also going to buy the 16g wire from Mainframe Customs anyway, but wasn't sure of the quality of the connector/ terminals.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyice View Post

Thank you for the link. I am still new at this so finding what I need is still a little confusing. I know I just need the male and female connectors for the 24 pin ATX, 6 and 8 pin PCIe, 8 pin EPS etc. I was also going to buy the 16g wire from Mainframe Customs anyway, but wasn't sure of the quality of the connector/ terminals.
Take a good look at the cables you already have, and want to duplicate, and buy the corresponding pins instead of going willy-nilly and buying a bunch of everything.
What I personally use the most are female minifit jr. , male & female fan pins, and a few male & female pins for the 4 pin molex type connectors (but I avoid these when I can).
16 gauge might be a little harder to use for a newbie, and you will seldom need more than 18 gauge (although some gpu cables can use 16 gauge) but I know some like to use 16 gauge anyway.
I use 22-26 gauge for fan wire as a rule, although I have used 18 gauge for an extension wire carrying current for a bunch of non- pwm fans.

But anyway whatever you do, don't buy a cheap crimping tool. I bought mine from MDPC but Lutro0 was selling a good one I believe, if he's still around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts