Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer?

I am looking to upgrade my CPU, mobo and RAM. The last time I bought these I got a really good deal from a staff member here on OCN and bought all 3 off him and they have lasted me about 6 years now without a problem. Maybe I just got lucky though as I know there is no warranty when buying used off eBay or any other second hand selling site.

These are the parts I am looking to buy, but i'm unsure whether to go new or used:
- Intel i5-6600k
- 1151 motherboard
- DDR4 16gb RAM
- Mechanical keyboard cherry mx brown.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the mobo Id steer clear of used. The pins are notoriously easy to bend and can become CPU killers.

Everything else Id say go used. Ive bought a used MX Brown keyboard and had no problems, DDR4 Id try to find a kit that has B-Die in it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can't really go wrong with used RAM. I have seen many disgusting, greasy, bug filled keyboards, so if you buy one used always clean it.
But like Wiggles said, the mobo is a bad idea. The pins are a big issue, and there are also some people who just send fried mobos and claim the buyer fried it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i have bought tons of used stuff. mostly in person tho. it makes it easier to have a look at things like pins etc...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Currently both my desktop and server (and even the processor in my laptop) are ,for the most part, used from Ebay or the OCN marketplace. Its a risk but so far Ive had nothing but good luck. I'm no overclocking hero so I cant say if my 3960x is a dud but i got it almost 18 months ago for like $200 on Ebay from a seller with zero rep, was an absolute steal. The two things I'm hesitant to buy used are power supplies and storage, because those are 2 components which can pretty much kick the bucket for no reason and I wouldnt want to put that blame on an honest seller.

If youre concerned, make sure to use Paypal. They'll rip the cash right out of a sellers bank account if they so much as sneeze in your general direction. I actually had it happen buying a sound card from OCN. I waited like 2 months to make sure it defintely wasnt delayed in shipping and within a week of opening the claim i had the money back in my account. As long as youre prepared to lose the cash temporarily its a pretty low risk as long as you make sure you know what youre buying.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I tend to buy new, but I do sell here. I prefer to sell motherboard/cpu combo's with the cpu already installed...that way I'm absolutely sure it works. Never had any complaints.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Truely. Easy to save decent money buying top end parts used from solid members. Unless yer HARDCORE you can (as you know) get many years of use. If you end up with a boned part in 2 years you can know it was akso possible with a new part at a higher initial cost.

SS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
it think it boils down to seller. im pretty picky on what i sell,but that doesnt mean the next guys standards are as high as yours. if you hold on to pc for 6 years at a time,i'd go new.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just bought all new on Amazon. I've been researching components all weekend to get the PC back up to a half-decent gaming standard, and I really don't have much patience these days to save a extra few quid here and there as you can actually spend days/weeks on eBay bidding and hunting on individual items when i'd rather order now from the same website to all come in one delivery package later in the week and enjoy my weekend
smile.gif

I still made the thread because i'm interested to hear if anyone had made massive savings buying used. I did do well on my last components but that's because I bought cpu, mobo and ram all from the same person who did me a good deal as a fellow staff member
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
It depends. I'll buy used parts if I think the seller is reliable, or if there's no other choice and no reasonable alternative.

In my own sig rig, the GPU, monitor, keyboard and DAC were all second-hand parts, but everything else was purchased new. The GPU was too good a deal to pass up at the time, the monitor was so little used it was almost like buying NOS, the keyboard is a 1990s Model M, and I got the UCA222 for about $12.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with most everything said above about being picky and using honest sellers to buy used. With that said, sometimes you can find deals for used equipment that are too good to pass up. Where the money you save buying used vs new is so much that you have to struggle for reasons not to.
I had no intention of building a new workstation but when you can get a pair of E5-2670 and build an entire 32 core monster for less than I paid retail on a single 3930k, how can you not?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjab View Post

I agree with most everything said above about being picky and using honest sellers to buy used. With that said, sometimes you can find deals for used equipment that are too good to pass up. Where the money you save buying used vs new is so much that you have to struggle for reasons not to.
I had no intention of building a new workstation but when you can get a pair of E5-2670 and build an entire 32 core monster for less than I paid retail on a single 3930k, how can you not?
Buying old components is a whole new story. I would never buy a E5-2670 (great CPU by the way) in 2016 new in the box or from a "refurbishing company". That's kind of a given though.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like buying used with paypal due to uncomplicated buyer protection. There's also refurblished deals in germany that come with 2 year store warranty due to the legal requirements of professional sellers in germany, so that's nice.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My current rig was probably 75% used parts off OCN and has been working just fine for 2 years now. I absolutely will do used parts when possible, minus the PSU. I like having a new PSU. There isn't usually a blaringly obvious error produced when you have a PSU problem. Looking forward to finding a 980ti on the marketplace in the near future.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
All you really have to do is pay with paypal, then there is no real risk. That and stick with companies that use serial numbers for their warranties so if something does happen you can dont need any cooperation from seller.

80% of my PC is used (PSU and case are all that were new).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts