Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up some suggestions from here and settled on a variant of the Asus monitor, the VH236H. It was on sale, and I didn't want to deal with the black Friday crowd clearing out inventory before I got to it.

Everything seemed OK except for a strange buzzing noise that comes out the back, when I adjust its brightness below 90. It's not very loud, but definitely noticeable to the point that you can't ignore it now that you know it's there.

So now I'm wondering, is this a common issue? And can it be fixed without RMA'ing it?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have never heard of this and I do not have this problem. I would go for the RMA. I don't have the exact monitor but I have never heard of this.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
This happens with my monitor, but I only really start to notice it when the brightness is like say, less than 30-50 (and I agree that it's a very quiet sound). So I think that I would RMA it.

But don't get me wrong: I hear an extremely faint sound when I switch from my monitor's Game mode (100% brightness with other settings changes) and my Custom mode where I have it at 55% brightness. But even if I lower it to like 25 or 30%, I can hear it, but it's easy to forget about.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
It might the CCFL back lights in the monitor,i had a monitor that buzzed when you turned the brightness below a certain level.
Sorry I dunno how to fix that issue

Not sure if its a defect in the monitor,it appears to be a nice monitor and gets great reviews on Newegg.com.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
To be honest, I think that this is just the way it is and that you might only be bothered by it because you're focusing on it. I have the same problem with things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might have to play it safe and exchange it. I'm kind of afraid that it will deteriorate over time and break down all together. If the new one still buzzes then I'll probably just live with it, or take it as a sign that I should have went with the Dell IPS monitors lol.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caspian800 View Post
I might have to play it safe and exchange it. I'm kind of afraid that it will deteriorate over time and break down all together. If the new one still buzzes then I'll probably just live with it, or take it as a sign that I should have went with the Dell IPS monitors lol.
How loud is it? I mean, could it be that you're just listening too closely to it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
How loud is it? I mean, could it be that you're just listening too closely to it?
I can't think of a reference, but the monitor is a little more than an arms length away, and you can hear the buzzing with earphones on late in the evening when outside noises are low.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caspian800 View Post
I can't think of a reference, but the monitor is a little more than an arms length away, and you can hear the buzzing with earphones on late in the evening when outside noises are low.
Is it like a faint humming sound?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumheros View Post
Try turning off the built in speakers.
This.

It wouldn't surprise me if this humming noise I'm talking about is being amplified by the speakers due to interference/improper shielding, etc.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
I have the same monitor. I just pressed my ear up to the top of the monitor, and I also can hear a whining sound almost. My brightness and contrast are both at 60, in Standard Mode. After pulling out the audio cable, the whine is still there.

It's not noticeable on a day to day basis though, I'm sitting around 2 feet away from it, and I can't hear anything.

·
Registered
731 Posts
lol I've got the Asus MS226H and i get a weird buzzing noise every time I open a specific PDF file lol. I have no clue what it is. :/

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz View Post
I have the same monitor. I just pressed my ear up to the top of the monitor, and I also can hear a whining sound almost. My brightness and contrast are both at 60, in Standard Mode. After pulling out the audio cable, the whine is still there.

It's not noticeable on a day to day basis though, I'm sitting around 2 feet away from it, and I can't hear anything.
This is exactly how my monitor is, and it's a Samsung 2253BW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton338 View Post
lol I've got the Asus MS226H and i get a weird buzzing noise every time I open a specific PDF file lol. I have no clue what it is. :/
Which PDF file? I've noticed that the sound my panel makes can depend on what it is displaying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz View Post

Yeah that's pretty much it, my brightness and contrast were at 45-50 I think. What bothers me is that the sea of Newegg buyers never mentioned anything like this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had this problem like 2 months ago with my vw246h monitor. It lasted like a week and went away. Thank god. You just have to turn your sound to 0 to fix it.

·

13,020 Posts
I have this issue with my Samsung monitor.

Anything below 100% brightness, it buzzes, hums. I just adjusted the brightness in Ati CCC.

Everything has been ok for a year now. If you RMA, just remember you might get a refurb unit back. Also you might get another buzzing unit or have some burnt, or stuck pixels with the replacment.

Or you might get a perfect new unit back

alot of "mights" but you get my point

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by juryben View Post
I had this problem like 2 months ago with my vw246h monitor. It lasted like a week and went away. Thank god. You just have to turn your sound to 0 to fix it.
Volume is already at 0. But yours seems like it fixed itself, maybe they need to be burned in?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caspian800
View Post

Yeah that's pretty much it, my brightness and contrast were at 45-50 I think. What bothers me is that the sea of Newegg buyers never mentioned anything like this.

Maybe they're like me and are always doing something that keeps them distracted.

If I really want to zero in on it, then I can hear it. Otherwise, I don't notice it while my mind is busy with something else.

But try MrTOOSHORT's idea of adjusting the brightness in the NVIDIA Control Panel instead just to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts