Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I bring my lappy to skool to do homework, notes and whatnot, but when its not doing anything, is emits a high pitched whine, bearly noticeable, but like a CRT TV, you can tell its there.

Anyway to fix this, or keep it busy?

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
i dont think its the Chip itself, i think its the hard drive. and no, i dont think you can do anything to fix it... or you can scream over it... lol

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ya HDD's can make various noises, but sounds to me like it might be your PSU. I doubt it's your cpu.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, its comming from the corner that the CPU is in, and whenever i do anything that requires the CPU to do something, it will pause and continue when done, or stop, such as a 3d screensaver...

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
well it could be the HD still, its VERY unlikely that the CPU can even make a sound. It may be the fan as well, and still, theres nothing you can do about it unless you open it up and put some WD40 on the fan, but thats HIGHLY unrecommended and dangerous. When the CPU stops on load, the fan slows down a bit to save your laptop some power. same for the hard drive.

but like i said, theres nothing much you can do but suck it up and make loud noises to camoflauge it. lol =P

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
well, its comming from the corner that the CPU is in, and whenever i do anything that requires the CPU to do something, it will pause and continue when done, or stop, such as a 3d screensaver...
Well, what's up in the corner near the cpu? The PSU right? I've heard PSU's make similar noises before, and it's not surprising the sound would change, when you have the rig under load or not. If your sure the noise is not from your HDD, then it's your PSU or mobo, PSU alot more likely. I very seriously doubt it's your CPU.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
without a doubt psu, cpu cannot make a noise and by what your describing i dont think that kind of sound can penetrate through the hardrives cover i know what you mean is like when a tv is on aux or mute.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
I bring my lappy to skool to do homework, notes and whatnot, but when its not doing anything, is emits a high pitched whine, bearly noticeable, but like a CRT TV, you can tell its there.
I highly doubt that it is the CPU. A laptop at work does the exact same thing, and it's an ancient Dell, so it has an old Centrino processor in it. As for how to fix it, I haven't a clue. I just usually listen to my mp3 player to drown out the noise.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, this is on battery...

i'll see if its the HD, but it doesnt sound like a HD does...

Thanks you the input guys

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
it's either the HDD, PSU, or my guess...the HSF. If there's a fan around there...check it out...get the dust clear and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's the CPU HS's fan... duh.

Hence the change in sound between idle and load, when the fan throttles up and down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts