Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a build for my friend, and he wants to make a nice Core 2 Duo build.

I'm considering a nice 6300, with 2gb of possibly G.Skill RAM and SLI'd either 7600GTX or 7800GTX (if they make GTX for both those models)

I'm just wondering what motherboard to go for. It doesn't need ANY options whatsoever for overclocking, it just needs to be rock-stable and never crash.

Any suggestions would be great, I prefer ASUS just because of my personal experience with them, but I am open to any ideas.

Thanks,

NiK

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiK_0_0

I'm considering a nice 6300, with 2gb of possibly G.Skill RAM and SLI'd either 7600GTX or 7800GTX (if they make GTX for both those models)

If you want official SLI support then your options are very limited - from Asus P5NSLI or P5N32-SLI Premium.
Btw I would look at 7900GS or 7900GTO

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may go with the P5NSLI just because official SLI would be nice, and its not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Please explain why a company would make 2 pcie 16 ports if only one could be used? Is it for dual monitors or something? Seems stupid to have pcie16x2 and not have SLI capabilities

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi
Please explain why a company would make 2 pcie 16 ports if only one could be used? Is it for dual monitors or something? Seems stupid to have pcie16x2 and not have SLI capabilities
exactly, its so they can sell the SLI version for more money,

Its like the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and SLI-D
same mobo literally, but the SLI version has a miniscule change on the South Bridge, a specific resistor is different

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Quote:

I may go with the P5NSLI just because official SLI would be nice, and its not too expensive.
Do not buy!!! If you OC, it is crap, have only reached 291 on the FSB frequency, and barely stable enough at that. Good luck...

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you want to overclock, then none of the SLI boards available NOW will overclock well. I am using a P5N32-SLI Premium right now and had better overclocking with my P5N32-SLI SE...I would go with a 975X board and use hacked drivers if you want to overclock and have SLI. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtuccio

If you want to overclock, then none of the SLI boards available NOW will overclock well. I am using a P5N32-SLI Premium right now and had better overclocking with my P5N32-SLI SE...I would go with a 975X board and use hacked drivers if you want to overclock and have SLI. Just my two cents.

make that four cents. (aka, i agree, nvidia chipsets DON'T overclock.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
he did say

Quote:

It doesn't need ANY options whatsoever for overclocking,
plus he specified Asus ...

afaik the only hacked drivers for SLI on 975X are 80 series so don't support later cards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts