Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright.... until today this was not going to be an issue....

Dish Network guy came out at my new place and used the existing cable lines for the Dish setup. Typical of companies and expected. However, I only have one cable outlet in my room. So basically we had to put the router/modem in the other room and the guy hooked up a Power Line gadget into the wall from the router to give my 3 HD DVR boxes internet through the power outlets. Alright, nice,... but, nowthe router is across the hall.

So I have a few options:
  1. Get two wireless N cards for my two desktops and upgrade my router to dual band.
  2. Get a coax cable, attach it to existing cable, and run it to my room and setup router there.
  3. Use a 50' Ethernet cable and run it to my room to another router or switch.
Well, to be honest I have never really gamed, downloaded, or streamed on wireless N so I am not sure how stable and nice the connection is. But, I know regardless direct cable is the best speeds.

So I need to know what the best option is, and if it is something where I need to run an Ethernet cable to my room then I need to figure out how to properly cable manage that to make it look nice. The trim on the frames, doors, and woodwork is white so any enclosure devise will be white I would think. Except, again, I will need quite a bit of this stuff to run it from room to room and around the appropriate frames. Probably up the wall, along the ceiling, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
In my situation the coax cable comes up in the living room. I hooked up my modem and router on my TV stand and ran a long ethernet cable under my living room rug and under my couch and then I was able to pass it through the wall into the office for my computer.

Do you have a way of doing something like this?
 

·
OCN Enthusiast
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
You can actually snuggle it under the carpet around the base of the wall. I have done it in the past and it works well. Use a staple gun (carefully!) and ensure it is snugly hidden under the carpet and pushed against the wall. If that method doesn't work, then yeah, you can wind it around the door frames and such. Another alternative is to drill holes and install wall sockets for it. We did that at my parent's house, but if you're renting you may have to ask your landlord for permission before putting holes and installing plates in the wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siigari;15336353
You can actually snuggle it under the carpet around the base of the wall. I have done it in the past and it works well. Use a staple gun (carefully!) and ensure it is snugly hidden under the carpet and pushed against the wall. If that method doesn't work, then yeah, you can wind it around the door frames and such. Another alternative is to drill holes and install wall sockets for it. We did that at my parent's house, but if you're renting you may have to ask your landlord for permission before putting holes and installing plates in the wall.
I agree with this. I have hardwood floors now but I did this when we had carpet. Sometimes it can be a little hard to push the wire down under the base boards so i took a piece of silverware and used the handle to shove it under. This is a great way to run a wire if you have carpet..... man i miss having carpet lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
919 Posts
I crawled under the house with 50 ft of ethernet to get it to my computer.Now the wife wants to kick me to our bedroom.So ill need to add to it lol.Trying to get her to give me the spare room and make a man-cave but that get silenced quick hahah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siigari;15336353
You can actually snuggle it under the carpet around the base of the wall. I have done it in the past and it works well. Use a staple gun (carefully!) and ensure it is snugly hidden under the carpet and pushed against the wall. If that method doesn't work, then yeah, you can wind it around the door frames and such. Another alternative is to drill holes and install wall sockets for it. We did that at my parent's house, but if you're renting you may have to ask your landlord for permission before putting holes and installing plates in the wall.
I do have carpet, but it seems to be fairly tough and firm. I will check it out. It is actually my brothers condo he bought (a nice sized one) and me and my wife are renting from him (but, we get the master suite, walk-in closet, etc. as he knows we are married... we only agreed to about a year as it places me closer to Columbus for future job options and closer to my wife's current work).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack;15336374
I agree with this. I have hardwood floors now but I did this when we had carpet. Sometimes it can be a little hard to push the wire down under the base boards so i took a piece of silverware and used the handle to shove it under. This is a great way to run a wire if you have carpet..... man i miss having carpet lol
The other thing I will be doing is running a phone cord with it to about 2/3rds the way to the ethernet cable's destination and splitting it off to the printer/fax. So I think something to hide the wire at least along part of the framework in the hallway and into our bedroom is needed (probably 5 feet into our bedroom and then down the wall).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEBS808;15336448
I crawled under the house with 50 ft of ethernet to get it to my computer.Now the wife wants to kick me to our bedroom.So ill need to add to it lol.Trying to get her to give me the spare room and make a man-cave but that get silenced quick hahah.
Problem is the room is almost directly across the hall and on the 2nd level so it is quite hard to run it under anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siigari View Post

You can actually snuggle it under the carpet around the base of the wall. I have done it in the past and it works well. Use a staple gun (carefully!) and ensure it is snugly hidden under the carpet and pushed against the wall. If that method doesn't work, then yeah, you can wind it around the door frames and such. Another alternative is to drill holes and install wall sockets for it. We did that at my parent's house, but if you're renting you may have to ask your landlord for permission before putting holes and installing plates in the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

I agree with this. I have hardwood floors now but I did this when we had carpet. Sometimes it can be a little hard to push the wire down under the base boards so i took a piece of silverware and used the handle to shove it under. This is a great way to run a wire if you have carpet..... man i miss having carpet lol
So what do you do when you run it across a hallway? No baseboards to directly connect there and I don't want it to look tacky.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top