Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,my rig is almost going to be done,and obviously its a gaming rig,which equels cable management for performance.Really though,once i get my free 300gb velicoraptor(won it at a giveaway online lol
) and my megahalems,i am going to build the computer,but first,i want to drill holes for the cables to pass through,i forgot what is the tools name lol
,that is also going to help for the Antec 1200 HDD Cage Flip Mod,so that the the HDD cables and the molex power connectors for the fans go though...

Dont worry about the anchors,zip ties etc i got that covered already
i did some night time work researching the anchors and zip ties i needed and extensions etc.(calling myself a noob cuz this is my first time but i noe alot about it,except tools lol)

links would be helpful

Thanks,everyone who helps(depends how)will get rep

oh and which site is the best to buy cable management things(anchors etc.)
Performance pcs
Frozencpu(although PPC is cheaper)
Xoxide(although they dont have much)
I only noe those 3

and are there sites i dont noe that do store cable mangement things?

·
Audio File
3,815 Posts
I bought a case that was geared towards cable management and I'd recommend something like that. My CM590 is perfect, but the Antec 900, CM690 and other cases have ways to route cables behind the motherboard tray.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
for zipties and anchors just go to the local hardware store. You dont have to wait and you dont have to pay shipping. If you go to home depot or lowes it is normally cheaper than you can find them online as well.

You can get a bundle pack of them where they have a bunch of sizes of zip ties also.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aawa View Post
for zipties and anchors just go to the local hardware store. You dont have to wait and you dont have to pay shipping. If you go to home depot or lowes it is normally cheaper than you can find them online as well.

You can get a bundle pack of them where they have a bunch of sizes of zip ties also.
yea i dont wanna pay 20 bucks just for 100 anchors as i dont need that much,but the zip tie ones are good,ill get zip ties there i guess

edit:damn it says online only...

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computerfreak09 View Post
yea i dont wanna pay 20 bucks just for 100 anchors as i dont need that much,but the zip tie ones are good,ill get zip ties there i guess
you can get a packet of 10-15 anchors for a little over a dollar. check walmart or kmart. I know i found a packet of 10 for cheap at walmart when i built my friends PC not to long ago.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For me, the trick with the Antec 1200 is to sleeve everything black. Since the interior is painted, any black cables will be difficult to see.

I buy my sleeving from cableorganizer. You can find the heatshrink here. A general guide for sleeving can be found here.

Here is a list of what sizes to use for various cables.

1/8" : single wire (I use it for the pci-e, 8pin/4pin, 24pin)
1/4" : 3pin fan (4pin is also possible, however it does not look as nice)
3/8" : sata, 4pin molex
1/2" : 24pin grouped

Here are pics from one of my 1200 builds.

As you can see here, the power cables from the front fans are virtually invisible due to the sleeving/black interior.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Zip Ties from CableOrganizer or McMaster Carr. I'd buy a bag of 1"x1" Zip Tie Anchors from Home Depot/Hardware Store. It's cheaper than anything I bought a bag of 100 for $12. And if you're looking to sleeve your cables, CableOrganizer has ridiculous deals on bulk cable sleeving and heat shrink tubing.

You'll probably need an 8 pin power extension with a 1200 depending on your PSU. Even if you don't need it it helps because it's always the cable that's just barely long enough to make it.

And you can either use a hole saw or a dremmel to cut out holes for cable management, but usually the holes on the case work fine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computerfreak09
View Post

Also,does anybody noe what size is good for step drill bits just enough to make holes with and the cables to pass through? is 1/2 Step good?

im assuming you meant 1/2", if so i would definitely go with a 3/4" as the 1/2" is small and the 3/4" can that and more

·
Registered
30 Posts
I second the idea of the hardware store. same zipties and such, much much more inexpensive. Also, for cable management holes, either use a dremel or other rotary tool if you have pre-existing holes to enlarge them, or use a drill with a large cutout bit if not.

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlcollins33 View Post
im assuming you meant 1/2", if so i would definitely go with a 3/4" as the 1/2" is small and the 3/4" can that and more
Agreed, 3/4" is going to be much better. For your main hole though (for all the wires to pass through at the PSU, and for the 20+4 pin at the mobo) I suggest getting a 1.5" holesaw. Anything smaller and you're not going to be able to fit that 20+4pin plug through it,lol.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo_man
View Post

Agreed, 3/4" is going to be much better. For your main hole though (for all the wires to pass through at the PSU, and for the 20+4 pin at the mobo) I suggest getting a 1.5" holesaw. Anything smaller and you're not going to be able to fit that 20+4pin plug through it,lol.

lol,i didnt noe that and thank you for doing it by inches
i was needing that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts