Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I do some cable management on my rig, everything comes out really nice except for the SATA cables which are always bunched up together and actually look horrible since everything else is so neat.

Does anyone have any tips on how they router hid or beautified their SATA cables? Pictures would rock too!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,006 Posts
These pics are quite out-dated for me, but it's basically the way I always do it:

Back3.png

Pay particular attention to how I put the excess slack behind the motherboard tray.

Here's the end result:

Front5.png

Those blue cables are my SATA cables, and they're the same blue cables that you can see in the first pic.
smile.gif

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Does anyone have any other method? I'd like to see lots before I try them.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
I usually zip-tie the SATA data cables together and run them as unobtrusively as possible. Sometimes the cables with 90 degree connectors can be more convenient as well. For the power cables, often I pull off the connectors and reposition them so I don't have any extra between the plugs.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sleeved SATA cables look pretty nice. Blend in with the rest of the sleeved power supply cables your power supply has and they blend right in. Plus you can sleeve them all, or separately depending on how you want your cable managment done.

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;12058470
These pics are quite out-dated for me, but it's basically the way I always do it:

Back3.png

Pay particular attention to how I put the excess slack behind the motherboard tray.

Here's the end result:

Front5.png

Those blue cables are my SATA cables, and they're the same blue cables that you can see in the first pic.
smile.gif
I started a thread a few days ago looking for rounded SATA cables which nobody really had a clue. Can you be so kind as to direct me where you purchased yours? Thanks:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZainyAntics;12059351
What I do is I take the SATA cable and coil it around a pencil, it gives a neat look instead of just being there.
This sounds really good. It should look great in my rig with some black Sata Cables. Gonna have to order some on frozen.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickt1862;12065585
I started a thread a few days ago looking for rounded SATA cables which nobody really had a clue. Can you be so kind as to direct me where you purchased yours? Thanks:)
Right on Newegg actually. They're the non-locking kind, but they still get the job done:

OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Round Cable W/ Metal Shield, Straight to Straight, UV Blue, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Round Cable W/ Metal Shield, Straight to Right Angle, UV Blue, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

At the time I purchased them, they were just the 3 Gbps cables.
smile.gif

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
2,664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Right on Newegg actually. They're the non-locking kind, but they still get the job done:

OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Round Cable W/ Metal Shield, Straight to Straight, UV Blue, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Round Cable W/ Metal Shield, Straight to Right Angle, UV Blue, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

At the time I purchased them, they were just the 3 Gbps cables.

Thanks

On one of them it doesn't get much in good reviews though.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickt1862
View Post

Thanks

On one of them it doesn't get much in good reviews though.

Meh, they're just cables. All 4 of mine work.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Run N. Gun
View Post

I use wire ties to attach the slack to the back of the case (behind mobo or the drives), similar to TwoCables did in his picture.

My sata slots are not to the side like yours.
Maybe I could try and route it down instead of to the side. Maybe with balack sata cables it'd look good.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiber
View Post

My sata slots are not to the side like yours.
Maybe I could try and route it down instead of to the side. Maybe with balack sata cables it'd look good.

I just remembered that I took these pictures when I unboxed my new graphics card. Check out what I did with the SATA cables:

More pics here: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/7983...win-frozr.html

I didn't take any pics of the back, but I did the same thing that I did when I had the blue cables. The difference with these is that they're basically the standard flat design (I couldn't find round ones that lock). Plus, I have a different motherboard with basically the same SATA port positions that you have.

If you like these cables and want to know where I got them, then here they are (both at MonoPrice.com):

24inch SATA3 Cable w/Locking Latch - Silver for $2.18

24inch SATA3 Cable w/Locking Latch (90 Degree to 180 Degree) - Silver for $2.18

• Rep+
Reactions: Zaiber

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

I just remembered that I took these pictures when I unboxed my new graphics card. Check out what I did with the SATA cables:

More pics here: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/7983...win-frozr.html

I didn't take any pics of the back, but I did the same thing that I did when I had the blue cables. The difference with these is that they're basically the standard flat design (I couldn't find round ones that lock). Plus, I have a different motherboard with basically the same SATA port positions that you have.

If you like these cables and want to know where I got them, then here they are (both at MonoPrice.com):

24inch SATA3 Cable w/Locking Latch - Silver for $2.18

24inch SATA3 Cable w/Locking Latch (90 Degree to 180 Degree) - Silver for $2.18

Thanks bro, that actually looks decent. I was thinking black sata cables but maybe some sleeved would look better. I don't really like those silver ones but I'll browse that site a while so thanks for the link!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiber
View Post

Thanks bro, that actually looks decent. I was thinking black sata cables but maybe some sleeved would look better. I don't really like those silver ones but I'll browse that site a while so thanks for the link!

You're welcome! And thank you!

I got the silver ones because I was looking for something different, but I also didn't want black nor did I want a specific color (I have bright white LED fans whereas I used to have bright blue LED fans). So when I saw these clear/silver ones, I just had to have them. They look great in person.
But of course, that's always a matter of opinion!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;12086067
You're welcome! And thank you!

I got the silver ones because I was looking for something different, but I also didn't want black nor did I want a specific color (I have bright white LED fans whereas I used to have bright blue LED fans). So when I saw these clear/silver ones, I just had to have them. They look great in person.
smile.gif
But of course, that's always a matter of opinion!
I really want it to match a lot. I'm having a few ideas but I'm not fond of any at the moment. That site will come in handy for buying cheap SATA cables though.

I'm trying to find the Show off your Cable Management thread but I can't find it with that tag under search. Maybe I don't remember the name correctly? Anyway, I figured someone there might have had a good idea on what to do.

Still, thanks for the pics, they will be the route I'll be going if all else fails.
biggrin.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber;12086133
I really want it to match a lot. I'm having a few ideas but I'm not fond of any at the moment. That site will come in handy for buying cheap SATA cables though.

I'm trying to find the Show off your Cable Management thread but I can't find it with that tag under search. Maybe I don't remember the name correctly? Anyway, I figured someone there might have had a good idea on what to do.

Still, thanks for the pics, they will be the route I'll be going if all else fails.
biggrin.gif
Yeah, MonoPrice.com is my absolute most-favorite store to buy cables from!

Anyway, here's that thread:

Post your "rate my cables" here

1 - 20 of 37 Posts