Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm moving my PC into my room where there happens to be no phone jack so I was looking at wireless adapters (USB and PCI cards) and you can't get anything decent for my price range... I didn't want to limit my already :turd: speed so I bought 100ft of CAT 5e for like $20. Good call on my part?
Now I just need to convince my dad that it's cool to run it to my room... Which is only like 25ft from the router/modem.

~B~

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
IMO it is a good call,you'll get faster network speed with a wired connection.I would go with a wireless get a pci card they seem to work better than usb,if you want a wireless connection.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
I've got a WRT54GL using Tomato firmware (50$) hooked up to my sig rig. My dad gets wireless signal through his WMP54G (35$) and even with both PCs surfing the net, and my PSP, I don't lose any speed.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by microman View Post
i probably wouldnt have done it but as long as you dont mind the cable all over the place then i suppose its a good call
Yeah... I don't care really. I'm going to get the tack downs sort of U's the you tack into the the wall and run it along the floor and wall seam.

~B~

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Wired is more reliable, but wireless is more convenient. As long as you don't overload an access point, wireless is fine, but wired is easier to secure and determine why it isn't working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts