Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my cables today from cablemod, spent 326.90$ And then I got this cablemess.
Is this normal? I always heard good things and then got this crap. 3 of 12 cables are pretty bad. honestly not sure if I even want to use the 24pin. it looks so aweful and because my case is a 380t it will be super visable as the mess starts in the middle of the damn cable. Like they didnt even try to do it close to the one end. I can live with the 6 and 8 pin but those also have a wonder tangle.

Minor issue is all cables are over-sized random amounts 10-45mm which isnt the worse thing but still annoying when you're in an itx case where You already oversized a cable cause they default to 50mm increments. example: I wanted 260mm for my motherboard cable, went over to 300mm because I cant go under an then that cable is an extra 30mm in addition to that. I wouldnt nitpick this though if all my cables were at least done right.

Let me know what you think. Am I rightly upset? I dont know, I spent so much on these cables I just figured I would get what I paid for.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The uneven wires would bug me, but the crossed wires and y-split (double wires) are unavoidable due to the pinout. You can only get a 1:1 pinout with extensions.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I spent probably half the cost of my PSU on a cablemod set....they started falling apart during installation in the rig.

I kind of just laughed to be honest, especially when one of the PCI-E pins popped out the back of the connector.....what else can one do in that situation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@msd0 I understand the y wires, However I meant they actually tangled a few of them, like a couple wires are wrap around wires that don't need to wrapped around and it should have been much shorter. More than half of the length of the 24pin in that mess which. Plus they don't warn you anywhere about this I thought my cables would be straight since they list them as pro compatible for those combs.. like those stupid combs alone cost me 80$ and this is all USD, I get screwed in conversions.

@microchidism The wires are 2.5x the cost of my corsair p2 650w worst part is I ordered in a week before black friday and didnt realise they were going to have a 20% off sale everything sale... I'm contacting them right away to try and get a fix or refund. I fell your pain! The sad laughs are depressing. lol

Anyone else have these issues? I want to hear all the different experiences people have good and bad, cause like people should know what they are getting. hopefully their customer support is good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsEnd View Post

@msd0 I understand the y wires, However I meant they actually tangled a few of them, like a couple wires are wrap around wires that don't need to wrapped around and it should have been much shorter. More than half of the length of the 24pin in that mess which. Plus they don't warn you anywhere about this I thought my cables would be straight since they list them as pro compatible for those combs.. like those stupid combs alone cost me 80$ and this is all USD, I get screwed in conversions.

@microchidism The wires are 2.5x the cost of my corsair p2 650w worst part is I ordered in a week before black friday and didnt realise they were going to have a 20% off sale everything sale... I'm contacting them right away to try and get a fix or refund. I fell your pain! The sad laughs are depressing. lol

Anyone else have these issues? I want to hear all the different experiences people have good and bad, cause like people should know what they are getting. hopefully their customer support is good.
Have you thought about sleeving your own cables in the future? For the same money, you would have the tools and materials to make several sets of cables. Anyways, hopefully they will stand behind their work and send you a new set.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@msd0 It was a literal coin toss. I figured from what I heard they would do a better job than I could. I defiantly would have done it, put 16 hours alone into sandblasting and painting my case (time isnt an issue). Again though, since it was something I didnt have experience with I figured they would do a better job.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Quote:

Just got my cables today from cablemod, spent 326.90$ And then I got this cablemess.
Is this normal? I always heard good things and then got this crap. 3 of 12 cables are pretty bad. honestly not sure if I even want to use the 24pin. it looks so aweful and because my case is a 380t it will be super visable as the mess starts in the middle of the damn cable. Like they didnt even try to do it close to the one end. I can live with the 6 and 8 pin but those also have a wonder tangle.

Minor issue is all cables are over-sized random amounts 10-45mm which isnt the worse thing but still annoying when you're in an itx case where You already oversized a cable cause they default to 50mm increments. example: I wanted 260mm for my motherboard cable, went over to 300mm because I cant go under an then that cable is an extra 30mm in addition to that. I wouldnt nitpick this though if all my cables were at least done right.

Let me know what you think. Am I rightly upset? I dont know, I spent so much on these cables I just figured I would get what I paid for.
CableMod is ok for average person, I would not suggest them. They seem to change a few things recently with there method of cable creation. They use to double crimp everything. Now it seems there doing Y cables instead. I'm guess it's so they could use the closed combs on there "Pro cables". ProCables is a joke, they just increased the OD of the wiring and still using the 1.5-2mm thick sleeving.

I would send that crap back and order from Mod-One. Cablemod cables have a habit of falling apart, I have a bunch of there old Modflex cables will all the sleeving falling out of the connector. There is no excuse for the pins to fall out. Any quality terminal & connectors have locking system making it impossible for the terminal to be remove unless you pull heavily on it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I used a basic CableMod set (not extensions) for my EVGA Super Nove 850 and they look great and I had no pins popping out, etc. The cable combs are on the brittle side, but they work fine. If you are one that keeps tearing your rig apart, I can see them breaking. I bought them at my local Microcenter and if there were any issues, they would have gone right back. I liked them so much that I went back and got their AIO sleeve kit for my Corsair H100i. Again, they work/look great. Sucks that you are having an issues with them.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Enter Plasma
1,633 Posts
Cablemod is a joke, they sell you industrial cables and charge you premium hand-made prices. It's like paying 4000$ for a Best Buy PC.

I would recommend you to return that rip-off and have a real professional service, like Mod One or many others, make you a custom set.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKnecht View Post

I used a basic CableMod set (not extensions) for my EVGA Super Nove 850 and they look great and I had no pins popping out, etc. The cable combs are on the brittle side, but they work fine. If you are one that keeps tearing your rig apart, I can see them breaking. I bought them at my local Microcenter and if there were any issues, they would have gone right back. I liked them so much that I went back and got their AIO sleeve kit for my Corsair H100i. Again, they work/look great. Sucks that you are having an issues with them.
That's because the combs are plastic, there not even acrylic. Cablemods use average to below budget material when making there cables, There average at best and they overcharge you for there product. There sleeving is very thin, They still use the 1.5 to 2mm OD sleeving for there Pro Cables. Which creates overstretching the sleeving. Which does not get the cable the best look, it's creating a very plastic look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd0 View Post

I think he's referring to the sleeve coming loose. CableMod crimps the sleeving over the wire which is far less secure that melting the sleeve over the terminal.
https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-modflex-sleeved-wires-black-16-inch-4-pack/
Cablemod sleeving has a habit of coming out, I had a box of there cables with most of the sleeving no longer crimped to the terminal. I've seen allot photos with the same results. I wouldn't be surprised if the terminals are coming out as well. They only use cheap Chinese materials. I still have no idea why people like to defend them even when you show them proof of there cables. There Support is pretty good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNS0 View Post

Cablemod is a joke, they sell you industrial cables and charge you premium hand-made prices. It's like paying 4000$ for a Best Buy PC.

I would recommend you to return that rip-off and have a real professional service, like Mod One or many others, make you a custom set.
I wouldn't go that far, There still a bit less then Hand Made Cables. There 24-pin Cable is 40 Dollars vs Hand Made cable which is usually around 80 Dollars. Issue is there shipping cost which is 20 dollars no matter what you buy. You need to buy all your cables at once or shipping cost is going to kill your wallet. Which is strange Moddiy is not that far from them and they only charge 9 dollars for shipping.

·
Enter Plasma
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post

That's because the combs are plastic, there not even acrylic. Cablemods use average to below budget material when making there cables, There average at best and they overcharge you for there product. There sleeving is very thin, They still use the 1.5 to 2mm OD sleeving for there Pro Cables. Which creates overstretching the sleeving. Which does not get the cable the best look, it's creating a very plastic look.
Cablemod sleeving has a habit of coming out, I had a box of there cables with most of the sleeving no longer crimped to the terminal. I've seen allot photos with the same results. I wouldn't be surprised if the terminals are coming out as well. They only use cheap Chinese materials. I still have no idea why people like to defend them even when you show them proof of there cables. There Support is pretty good though.
I wouldn't go that far, There still a bit less then Hand Made Cables. There 24-pin Cable is 40 Dollars vs Hand Made cable which is usually around 80 Dollars. Issue is there shipping cost which is 20 dollars no matter what you buy. You need to buy all your cables at once or shipping cost is going to kill your wallet. Which is strange Moddiy is not that far from them and they only charge 9 dollars for shipping.
If you "go pro", with which you get decent wire and closed combs - both a staple of handmade - difference in price gets very close.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to explain what happened. I contacted support. told them the problems, they offered a solution, told me to take pictures, Took the pictures, sent them, they told me I was wrong. told me this is how people want the 24pin. They will not replace the cables because they see nothing wrong with them. All of this dealing with this "Matt" person.

I have learned my lesson dealing with this company. They will think of anything to not fix a thing.

The worst part is, in an earlier message he told me "I could have them remake the cable with the splices lower to the PSU if you would like, we did it in this position based off feedback from our group though.
Aesthetics are what people are after, so they wanted this behind the motherboard tray, where it would be out of sight, out of mind essentially." then refused to fix it.

Borrowing this image from felladium, My case, the 380t has no Behind the motherboard tray.

Im pretty salty about the whole thing, what would you guys do?

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Just to explain what happened. I contacted support. told them the problems, they offered a solution, told me to take pictures, Took the pictures, sent them, they told me I was wrong. told me this is how people want the 24pin. They will not replace the cables because they see nothing wrong with them. All of this dealing with this "Matt" person.

I have learned my lesson dealing with this company. They will think of anything to not fix a thing.

The worst part is, in an earlier message he told me "I could have them remake the cable with the splices lower to the PSU if you would like, we did it in this position based off feedback from our group though.
Aesthetics are what people are after, so they wanted this behind the motherboard tray, where it would be out of sight, out of mind essentially." then refused to fix it.

Borrowing this image from felladium, My case, the 380t has no Behind the motherboard tray.

Im pretty salty about the whole thing, what would you guys do?
If they will not replace them (Poor IMHO) then send them back for a refund, im fairly sure you are entitled to that no ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ENTERPRISE that's the worst part about it, No canceling (after shipped of course I think) or refunds on custom cables. I'll find where it says in the configurator again...

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

@ENTERPRISE that's the worst part about it, No canceling (after shipped of course I think) or refunds on custom cables. I'll find where it says in the configurator again...
Hmmm perhaps it is different over the pond. In the UK we have the right by law to return an item within 14-30Days, even if it is a case we simply change our minds and do not like it, custom or not it has no bearing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On checkout: "Orders that contain customized products CANNOT be cancelled or changed 24 hours after being placed"

I ordered these on the 22nd of november, forgetting blackfriday was on its way and not realising they would offer a 20% discount -_-. Cables still hadn't arrived by blackfriday and asked if I could get the 20% off discount. they shot that down hard. Wasn't too happy about it but I mean hey, I'm sure the cables will look awesome and I will forget all about that right.... -_- Nope.

I will ask for a refund and see what "Matt" says but the asking for a refund didnt work on blackfriday.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

On checkout: "Orders that contain customized products CANNOT be cancelled or changed 24 hours after being placed"

I ordered these on the 22nd of november, forgetting blackfriday was on its way and not realising they would offer a 20% discount -_-. Cables still hadn't arrived by blackfriday and asked if I could get the 20% off discount. they shot that down hard. Wasn't too happy about it but I mean hey, I'm sure the cables will look awesome and I will forget all about that right.... -_- Nope.

I will ask for a refund and see what "Matt" says but the asking for a refund didnt work on blackfriday.
The "Orders that contain customized products CANNOT be cancelled or changed 24 hours after being placed" line does not cover returns though, that is in place to stop people from cancelling or changing custom work that is already in progress. That does not state you cannot return it.

You would have to check the dates upon when you actually received it vs the return period Cablemod allows. If you are still within that period IMHO they should grant you a return and refund.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts