Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so check it out i got my RMA proceesor Blah blah blah..

Put my computer back where i unplugged it

blahh blahh blahh

and i accidentally plugged the computer in with a thinner power cord. So now that im stressing the pc (Making sure the processor is stable) i felt the cable and its hot.. Really hot.
and i was curious am i in danger and has any one ever killed there pc in this way?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
One of my friends at a lan, his power cable started on fire once, so i would be fearful of that if it is already hot. I cant remember if it killed any hardware, but generally... fire = bad, so i would switch it out if i were you.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
How thin is your power cord? I've never noticed my power cord being warm, let alone hot, even when stressing the computer.

I think you have some bigger issues than the power cord.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

How thin is your power cord? I've never noticed my power cord being warm, let alone hot, even when stressing the computer.

I think you have some bigger issues than the power cord.

This is a good idea... check to make sure your house grounds are good. no idea how to do this, but it might be a good idea before anything gets fried.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
No, but you're liable to melt the insulation, which might cause a short, which might light a fire (if your breakers aren't up to the job).

Use a cord with thicker gauge wire.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus13
View Post

Your circuit breaker would kick in before your PSU explodes.

Not necessarily, your circuit breaker would trip if theres something pulling more power than the breaker is designed to flow. The breaker is supposed to trip if there's a short or over-current but the insulation could melt before one of those things happen.

You really should have a heavier cord if yours is getting hot.

Just sayin

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
View Post

Not necessarily, your circuit breaker would trip if theres something pulling more power than the breaker is designed to flow. The breaker is supposed to trip if there's a short or over-current but the insulation could melt before one of those things happen.

You really should have a heavier cord if yours is getting hot.

Just sayin

If his cord got close to the point where it would melt copper, I guarantee he would be pulling more then his home breaker (usually 10 amps, sometimes 20) can allow through it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus13
View Post

If his cord got close to the point where it would melt copper, I guarantee he would be pulling more then his home breaker (usually 10 amps, sometimes 20) can allow through it.

You're way beyond help if the copper is melting. The danger starts when the insulation melts.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
If he's using some crappy 16ga cable then it would be very possible for it to get hot enough to melt insulation.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Reminds me of my computer when I didn't realize I tore the -12V connector out of its socket in the 24-pin.

WOW! Hot! Hot! Hot! Everything was hot. It was just scortching. Before I realized it, I happened to be in the BIOS. Flipped to the Thermal tab and...what??!?... 74C?!?.... I never hit the power button quicker in my life. I could have made eggss on just about anything in that computer.

Even the cables were burning hot for some reason...Apparently we do need a -12V. Okay, this was completely off topic.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Definitely use a thicker gauge power cable
. I'm using a 10 gauge rated to draw 15A at 115V.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow.. Shortly after my last post i shut down the cable and replaced it with a thicker one.

This thicker one doesn't even get warm

i was looking at the rateings of the smaller one and it says "250v 10A max"

i dont believe that one bit.

I have a 585W power supply. lets assume WORST case scenario i was using 585W.. (giving it 100% efficienty)

250 * 10 = 2500W

The cable was getting hot at 585W yet it claims to be rated at 2500w..

why dont i believe that..

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus13 View Post
I said insulation not copper.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Current makes the cable hot, not wattage. 10A is probably optimistic if it was getting hot at only 3A.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy View Post
wow.. Shortly after my last post i shut down the cable and replaced it with a thicker one.

This thicker one doesn't even get warm

i was looking at the rateings of the smaller one and it says "250v 10A max"

i dont believe that one bit.

I have a 585W power supply. lets assume WORST case scenario i was using 585W.. (giving it 100% efficienty)

250 * 10 = 2500W

The cable was getting hot at 585W yet it claims to be rated at 2500w..

why dont i believe that..
Your outlet is 120VAC... not 250v.

Worst case on a 585w PSU would be more like 730w assuming 80% efficiency.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts