Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the dealio:

First, just to be clear: I’m cheap. Can’t help it. I’m a grad student and loans are piling up.

I thought I could justify a new hum-dinger of a system, but my checkbook balance laughed at me….a new direction…………

My CAD machine is no slouch, but it’s a couple of years old and was initially purchased on a pretty severe budget. The specs are below my sig. I fell into the case and the video card yesterday, nearly unused and cheap. I’ve managed to get a pretty good amount of RAM and the Raptors scream in RAID 0…I like it a lot. My CAD machine is now out of the rackmount case and in the Antec. Pretty nice case really.

So that’s the setup, here’s the questions:

1.From my research, my board is a dud for overclocking, when I bought it I didn’t care. Different mindset now. I figure the investment in a good overclocking board for a 478 is worth it if I get another year or two out of this thing. I am looking at ASUS right now, but not sure which one. It HAS to have AGP…I’m riding that technology until my next new build in at least a year.

2.My HSF was a $10 special for my other 2.4 P4 but I liked it better than the stocker so I switched them. It does the job but if I start bumping this thing it’s not going to do the trick. Watercooling is out for now, but I have access to a machine shop. I can pretty much make whatever I want. I can see piecing together a custom watercooling system over time and messing with it later….for now I want to tweak on it a bit and play games.

I basically want something to play with. I’m not out to set any records or anything. As a Sys. Admin. I have to be conservative with all the systems I tend to (about 100 of them)…If I fry this thing I’ll be bummed, but it won’t be the end of the world.

Budget for board and HSF??? $150 US.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated and anyone who is tinkering with a similar set up please give a shout.

Thanks and have a safe New Year!

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley

Here’s the dealio:

First, just to be clear: I’m cheap. Can’t help it. I’m a grad student and loans are piling up.

I thought I could justify a new hum-dinger of a system, but my checkbook balance laughed at me….a new direction…………

My CAD machine is no slouch, but it’s a couple of years old and was initially purchased on a pretty severe budget. The specs are below my sig. I fell into the case and the video card yesterday, nearly unused and cheap. I’ve managed to get a pretty good amount of RAM and the Raptors scream in RAID 0…I like it a lot. My CAD machine is now out of the rackmount case and in the Antec. Pretty nice case really.

1.From my research, my board is a dud for overclocking, when I bought it I didn’t care. Different mindset now. I figure the investment in a good overclocking board for a 478 is worth it if I get another year or two out of this thing. I am looking at ASUS right now, but not sure which one. It HAS to have AGP…I’m riding that technology until my next new build in at least a year.

2.My HSF was a $10 special for my other 2.4 P4 but I liked it better than the stocker so I switched them. It does the job but if I start bumping this thing it’s not going to do the trick. Watercooling is out for now, but I have access to a machine shop. I can pretty much make whatever I want. I can see piecing together a custom watercooling system over time and messing with it later….for now I want to tweak on it a bit and play games.

I basically want something to play with. I’m not out to set any records or anything. As a Sys. Admin. I have to be conservative with all the systems I tend to (about 100 of them)…If I fry this thing I’ll be bummed, but it won’t be the end of the world.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated and anyone who is tinkering with a similar set up please give a shout.

Well really, that machine would game just fine. You can always OC the graphics card.

·
Administrator
64,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley

Here’s the dealio:

That machine would game just fine..but to help you along maybe get a new graphics card namely a 6800

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Well, for Socket 478 and aircooling, the Thermaltake Big Typhoon can't be beat. If you go here, you can put in your zip code to see the cheapest price shipped to your door. As to motherboards, there are many out there. I've used the ABIT AI7 with no problems so far, pretty happy with it. However, I would go ASUS just because they have *sometimes* better overclocking options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, it plays pretty well. But....I really want to push it a bit. I haven't looked at OCing the card yet, I've only had it a day.

I guess I just really want something to tweak with. It plays BF2 very well and the new graphics card helped quite a bit. I'm willing to spend some cash just to have something to take my mind off of grad school......a guys got to have a break now and then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

Well, for Socket 478 and aircooling, the Thermaltake Big Typhoon can't be beat. If you go here, you can put in your zip code to see the cheapest price shipped to your door. As to motherboards, there are many out there. I've used the ABIT AI7 with no problems so far, pretty happy with it. However, I would go ASUS just because they have *sometimes* better overclocking options.

I have some serious doubts that the Big Typhoon will mount to my current board. I've noticed that when compared to other boards, the CPU mount on this AsRock board is very close to the edge. Perhaps with a new board this'll work slick.....I assumed that if it'll fit, that you can't get much more cooling than this thing anyway.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts