·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cost: 194 euros fo 2500K, 2600K = 265

71 euros.
71 euros.
Should I? Would I?
71 euros for NOTHING BUT FOLDING PERFORMANCE? Yes? no?
If you have a 2500K, did you want to get the 2600K afterwards even if it was only for folding?

Thing is I don't NEED a '600k... I'm sure video editing would be fast enough on a 2500K coz I only do it once in two weeks or something like that.. But the rig would fold like a matha... I don't even do anything specifically heavy on a computer, just browse the web and do some light gaming..

Making this thread makes me want to choose a 2500K.
How much PPD would this thing get with over 2ghz memory with nice timings if it was folding 23/7 bigadv in a linux vm?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am getting 15-18K PPD at 4.5 Ghz and it beats out my sucky folding from before. My 8800 GT only folded like 5K a day my laptop cpu and gpu together was 6K.

My Core 2 duo was average 3K PPD and if i cut the i5 down to 2 threads it gets 6K PPD. So I am thrilled with that.

But I am going ivy bridge next year so yes id like an i7, but i dont desire the current one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really wanted the folding performance but I saved the money since I knew I'd be getting Ivybridge soon anyway.

If you're going to be folding on linux anyway you can spoof 8 threads and run big adv tho, or at least so I've heard

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
If it's for Folding, I'd probably spend the extra €71. 2600ks can do -hugeadv WUs comfortably, while it's more of an effort with the 2500ks (and not all can do the P6904s).

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would say go for the 2600k.

I don't use it for anything other than folding, and when I'm not folding my processor pretty much takes a nap.
I, of all people, should have gone with the 2500k, since I don't do anything else that requires hyper threading or even a very fast processor.

But then I started folding... and it was awesome.

·
All time pc nerd
480 Posts
go for 2600k, you got a lot of headroom for hugeadv..i currently use 2500k, only can run bigadv..

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
For folding my 2600k at 4.6 on windows beats my dedicated 2500k Linux machine by almost 2 1/2 minutes per frame on a 6900. And that is with a 300 Mhz deficit.

So yes it's definitely worth it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Skiivari

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aww guys... I just bought a 2500K, asrock z68 extreme3 and 2000mhz memory...

I can buy a used 2600K when IB releases or get an IB processor if I don't feel like this chip is enough.
You see the thing is that for my usage I would be more than fine with a i3-2100, even a pentium chip would do. I already stepped up the price enough for folding

Thanks for the answers though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts