Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I am curious to know if anyone has done software undervolting or any mods to reduce the heat output of the i7-8750H. Or if anyone has any known laptop cooling mods at all for that matter.

So far we are using a nice laptop cooling stand and will be applying liquid metal TIM soon.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What laptop model do you have?

Lots of people on the Notebook Review forum are using Intel XTU or ThrottleStop to undervolt their 8750H CPUs. Use a negative offset votlage. Somewhere around -125 mV for the CPU core and CPU cache is a good place to start.

ThrottleStop has a few more features that can help you get the most out of an 8750H. It also applies the voltages more reliably after you resume from sleep or hibernate mode. It is best to use Intel XTU or ThrottleStop but not both at the same time. Both programs are writing to the same voltage control registers in the CPU. Intel XTU gets a little confused when another program is changing things behind its back.

Some liquid metal is a great idea. The 8750H makes for a powerful laptop when cooled and properly setup.

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the Dell G7 7577. XTU is currently running with -.125 on the CPU. I took a look at throttlestop and it looks powerful but I am short on time to learn how it all functions.

Still reaching close to 100C under gaming load even with the lappy cooler keeping the intake supplied with nice fresh air. Ambient temp is ~22C.

It's a really great CPU but boy does it run hot!

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's the Dell G7 7577. XTU is currently running with -.125 on the CPU. I took a look at throttlestop and it looks powerful but I am short on time to learn how it all functions.

Still reaching close to 100C under gaming load even with the lappy cooler keeping the intake supplied with nice fresh air. Ambient temp is ~22C.

It's a really great CPU but boy does it run hot!

Yeah it runs a bit hot, I have a dell G7 as well but with a 1050ti.
I'm running -145mv on cpu core and -125 cache, intel's XTU doesn't allow you to undervolt with different values as far as I know, so I'm using throttlestop.
Another good thing to try is to undervolt yout graphics card since the cooling solution is tied to the cpu as well, there are some tutorials online on how to do that with pascal GPUs.
Even with all that the laptop doesn't run *cool* but it does help with thermal throttling.

Edit: Cache undervolt can cause freezes and BSOD more often than cpu, reason why I switched to throttlestop.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I use intel XTU on my Lenovo just for the fact it's simple and works. I have mine set at -160mv and dropped it about 15-20C and doesn't throttle anymore.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm also on BIOS 1.9 and using the Ultra Performance setting on the dell power management. The fans don't wait as much to kick in and it's not throttling at all on my Dell G7.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The 8750H is indeed hot, I've used grizzly conductonaut and even on idle after a reformat it still manages to generate a lot of heat that I kind of gave up trying to find new solutions other than the -125mv reduction and a slight elevation for the vents.

As for throttlestop I use the guide from this video and its pretty easy to follow,

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently some cooling solutions were not made for i7-8750H but rather for i7-7700HQ.
Since 7700HQ runs at 3.4GHz some say it's better to underclock 8750H.
I run my [email protected], -200mV core, -62.5mV cache.
Idle temps are around 45-50°C, while gaming it's usualy 60-70°C, but can reach 80°C.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maquibut, you need to be careful running that large of an undervolt on your core. You can end up decreasing performance beyond -0.150mv as the cpu will spend less time boosting to the requested speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is that true??? I run a - 266 core and - 166 cache undervolt I had some bsods in the start but now it's kinda stable sometimes bios boot hangs cause of low voltage to cpu but it's very rare, my cpu when not undervolted now runs even more hot than it did before and also evrrytime I boot for some reason throttlestop detects bd prochot trigger but it's not enabled state '1'

Sent from my ZTE A2020G Pro using Tapatalk

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your undervolt is too aggressive and is actually costing you performance. Might try what is mentioned in Bob Of All Trades' video and do a -0.150 undervolt on both core and cache.

·
Still kinda lost
3,340 Posts
Sounds like your undervolt is too aggressive and is actually costing you performance. Might try what is mentioned in Bob Of All Trades' video and do a -0.150 undervolt on both core and cache.
Not sure about dells bios but if you look around for the unlock code check this guide
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-how-to-take-full-control-of-the-i7-8750h-advanced-version.823065/

Other than that -0.125v on cache and cpu (Both need to be equal) is the standard + you can adjust the EPP value from 0-256 0 being most aggressive and 256 least aggressive setting it @ 64 or 128 can really help.

+ if you check the PL1/2 you can maybe lower them a little something like 55/40? or what ever goes for your machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How can it be costing me performance tho when I run on full load 69 w max 88c all 3.9ghz?

Sent from my ZTE A2020G Pro using Tapatalk

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dunno what it is about this thread but it's got 18,000 hits on a forum where a good thread gets 500. Must be ticking all the right boxes for the search engines.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can bring the Turbo Time Limit all the way to the right if you'd like. There isn't very much we need to do within the TPL section on anything after Haswell, which is why you aren't seeing much information on it. TPL is rarely used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can bring the Turbo Time Limit all the way to the right if you'd like. There isn't very much we need to do within the TPL section on anything after Haswell, which is why you aren't seeing much information on it. TPL is rarely used.

What system do you have exactly?
And did you apply that liquid metal yet?

·
LTSC for life crew
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The screenshot is from the interwebs and not my system. I have a Dell G7 with the 8750H and GTX 1060 6gb. No liquid metal yet as it's not needed with the combination of throttlestop and a laptop cooling fan rest.

·
Still kinda lost
3,340 Posts
What system do you have exactly?
And did you apply that liquid metal yet?
The TPL section is manufacturer dependent, I can raise it to 107 short and 70 long on the Y540 but wont go above 70 short and 45 long my MSI GE75.

Check Notebookreview forums for the Owners lounge for your specific laptop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts