Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my mother just started thinking about me graduating from high school this year (junior year), i could if i wanted too.
The reaosn I want to get out of high school already is because socially students are really unmatured therefore, the school is all of these drug programs and dog snifts and I hate having to go to a school and having to follow these scrited rules
Also, I want to get a head start into learning what I want to learn, computer science, which high school does not offer at all
Only thing that is holding me back is running, the running program here is really big to me. and serior year, i would dominate

So students i want some pros and cons for different kinds of people.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You can go ahead and start taking college courses at your local community college. That'll give you a nice head start.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gir
View Post

You can go ahead and start taking college courses at your local community college. That'll give you a nice head start.

I looked into that, but i would need a high school degress before taking course... otherwise i could take free credit courses

·
Banned
127 Posts
What do you want to do?
Would you rather run, and perform well, or transfer to a better school and concentrate on your studies?

If there were a way to have your cake and eat it too, would you take it?
Wouldn't there be local athletic community clubs that you could join? That would allow you to transfer, and also keep running a part of your life

Or, you could stay at this school, and study in your spare time
This requires much more self discipline though

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#electric...mputer-science

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot
View Post

What do you want to do?
Would you rather run, and perform well, or transfer to a better school and concentrate on your studies?

If there were a way to have your cake and eat it too, would you take it?
Wouldn't there be local athletic community clubs that you could join? That would allow you to transfer, and also keep running a part of your life

Or, you could stay at this school, and study in your spare time
This requires much more self discipline though

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#electric...mputer-science

Well, I talked to a friend from Uconn (connecticut college) and he was telling me that he does local running club which really interests me but again, my high school running team are my closest mates

·
Registered
752 Posts
You could stay for another year and try to take as many AP classes as possible so that you lighten the load of required credits you have to take in college, even if they aren't CS related it might still help you down the line since you won't have to worry about taking those classes. I didn't graduate early or even think about it really, though I knew quite a few smart and talented people in HS and they didn't go with that route either so maybe it's not the best idea, especially with your running too.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Pros
-Get out of your "Immature environment" sooner
-Get your degree earlier
-Jump start your career

Cons
-Emotional immaturity (trust me on this, I've plenty of friends who graduated early and not one of them were emotionally mature enough for college)

Btw, it's "College". You might want to update your OP title

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I took courses for college credit at my community college my junior and senior years of high school. Because of that, I am now able to enter a 4-year college as a junior transfer, after only 2 years out of high school at my community college. I would have spent 3 years there if not for taking classes at my community college.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I know this is the internet... but c'mon man. Your post almost has more misspelled words than correctly spelled words. Your grammar skills need A LOT of work before you're going to be ready to write a college essay or interview well for a job. Stay in high school, focus on learning the basics before you tackle college courses. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm giving you honest advice. People working for college admissions boards took that job because they value education. If you cannot put together a proper sentence, it sends them the message that you don't take your education seriously and makes you undesirable.

Ways to improve your grammar over the next year or two:
1) READ
2) Pick up an SAT prep book from your local bookstore. They usually do a pretty good job of explaining the basics and give you practice tests to test your skills. Also, improving your SAT score is an excellent way to boost your chances of getting into college.
3) Surround yourself with educated people who speak proper English. Ignorance breeds more ignorance; if you're hanging out with people who don't take school seriously and cannot speak properly, it tends to wear off on you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nburnes
View Post

Stay in high school. Seems like you need it.

A bit harsh, but honestly he's spot on. You shouldn't skip a step you have yet to master.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Out of class, so I can elaborate further on my post:

One of the things many people don't think about when graduating early is the emotional immaturity they have. Whether or not you'd like to admit it, it's there. You miss out on the feeling of easing into adulthood with your friends, and instead you're just thrown into adulthood. Without the proper maturity, it's easy to lose control (blow off classes, unable to take care of yourself, party too much, flunk out, get kicked out, etc).

Personally, I'd definitely stay and finish high school on the normal track.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by durch
View Post

I know this is the internet... but c'mon man. Your post almost has more misspelled words than correctly spelled words. Your grammar skills need A LOT of work before you're going to be ready to write a college essay or interview well for a job. Stay in high school, focus on learning the basics before you tackle college courses. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm giving you honest advice. People working for college admissions boards took that job because they value education. If you cannot put together a proper sentence, it sends them the message that you don't take your education seriously and makes you undesirable.

Ways to improve your grammar over the next year or two:
1) READ
2) Pick up an SAT prep book from your local bookstore. They usually do a pretty good job of explaining the basics and give you practice tests to test your skills. Also, improving your SAT score is an excellent way to boost your chances of getting into college.
3) Surround yourself with educated people who speak proper English. Ignorance breeds more ignorance; if you're hanging out with people who don't take school seriously and cannot speak properly, it tends to wear off on you.

A bit harsh, but honestly he's spot on. You shouldn't skip a step you have yet to master.

Post is brutal, but right on.

Also on friends, definitely true that they rub off on you. I worked fairly hard on first entering community college in my junior HS year. But my grades slacked there in my senior year of high school. I soon realized that all my friends and study partners did not take school seriously (almost nobody took school seriously at my JC, lol). So after graduating from high school, I intentionally associated with smarter, harder-working people during my freshman and sophomore years in my JC. My study habits slightly improved, but I still only studied 10 hours a week. Yet my grades improved a lot, and I got my AA degree in Business with a 3.7 GPA in June. I also got a transfer into a school far better than I had hoped.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beric
View Post

Post is brutal, but right on.

Also on friends, definitely true that they rub off on you. I worked fairly hard on first entering community college in my junior HS year. But my grades slacked there in my senior year of high school. I soon realized that all my friends and study partners did not take school seriously (almost nobody took school seriously at my JC, lol). So after graduating from high school, I intentionally associated with smarter, harder-working people during my freshman and sophomore years in my JC. My study habits slightly improved, but I still only studied 10 hours a week. Yet my grades improved a lot, and I got my AA degree in Business with a 3.7 GPA in June. I also got a transfer into a school far better than I had hoped.

Your location intrigues me; what school?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

Your location intrigues me; what school?

De Anza College was my JC, Cal Poly is my transfer school (my grandparents actually live nearby). Tons of people go to CP from the Bay Area.

Cal Poly is the second-best ranked public undergrad business school in CA (Berkley is first). As there was no way I could afford a private school, and no way I was going out-of-state, I though I did pretty well. And as they had a 7% business transfer acceptance rate this Fall, I felt doubly lucky (SDSU actually put me on their waitlist, which was my second pick).

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

De Anza College was my JC, Cal Poly is my transfer school (my grandparents actually live nearby). Tons of people go to CP from the Bay Area.

Cal Poly is the second-best ranked public undergrad business school in CA (Berkley is first). As there was no way I could afford a private school, and no way I was going out-of-state, I though I did pretty well.

You made a good choice not going to Haas. I know some very successful businessmen (multimillionaires, CEOs, own their own companies, etc) who made their careers based on honesty, decency, and treating everyone around them in a polite and respectful manner.

Literally everyone I know in Haas is the complete opposite of that. And for whatever reason they are convinced that cutthroat competition and dehumanizing people to nothing more than "assets" or "allies" is the right way to become successful...

/Rant

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Personally... I miss high school. I'm in my freshman year of college and so far it is okay, but not like people portray in school. I am going to an engineering university, so partying really isn't the main focus xD. Honestly, if I could, I wished I could go back and relive high school because it was amazing. All my friends together, partying, no real responsibilities. It was the dream life for me, and I dearly miss it. No one misses high school while you are in it, true me. I wanted out. But now that I am out, I wished I could go back. Enjoy it while you can. No need to throw away a year of free-time just to "get a head start". If you want college credit in high school, take AP or Dual Enrollment. You don't need any degree to do those, I did it. You get college and high school credit for it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You made a good choice not going to Haas. I know some very successful businessmen (multimillionaires, CEOs, own their own companies, etc) who made their careers based on honesty, decency, and treating everyone around them in a polite and respectful manner.

Literally everyone I know in Haas is the complete opposite of that. And for whatever reason they are convinced that cutthroat competition and dehumanizing people to nothing more than "assets" or "allies" is the right way to become successful...

/Rant

Well, another reason I'm glad I didn't go there then! I have 2 friends at Berkley (not in Haas though). But I honestly don't think I could deal with the stress of Berkley.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinxe
View Post

Personally... I miss high school. I'm in my freshman year of college and so far it is okay, but not like people portray in school. I am going to an engineering university, so partying really isn't the main focus xD. Honestly, if I could, I wished I could go back and relive high school because it was amazing. All my friends together, partying, no real responsibilities. It was the dream life for me, and I dearly miss it. No one misses high school while you are in it, true me. I wanted out. But now that I am out, I wished I could go back. Enjoy it while you can. No need to throw away a year of free-time just to "get a head start". If you want college credit in high school, take AP or Dual Enrollment. You don't need any degree to do those, I did it. You get college and high school credit for it.

I miss elementary school.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, another reason I'm glad I didn't go there then! I have 2 friends at Berkley (not in Haas though). But I honestly don't think I could deal with the stress of Berkley.

Not sure what major they're in, but the bio and chem majors at Berkeley are pretty well adjusted
It's just polisci and business I've an issue with there.

And despite what you said about De Anza, it's still one of the better JCs around here
If you thought it was too easy or unmotivated, you'd despise Ohlone.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Not sure what major they're in, but the bio and chem majors at Berkeley are pretty well adjusted
It's just polisci and business I've an issue with there.

And despite what you said about De Anza, it's still one of the better JCs around here
If you thought it was too easy or unmotivated, you'd despise Ohlone.

I know it's one of the best JC's. I think it's actually in the top 5-10 in California. But in every single class, 10% of the students took school seriously, if that. It was pretty demoralizing at a certain point. At first, I felt like I must be a genius. Then I realized that everyone there was there because they didn't make it to (or couldn't afford) a 4-year school. I made friends with all the Asians (it's like 70% Asian there
). Gonna miss having all Asians in school.

But yeah, went there primarily to save cash. Also probably increased my odds of getting into a good school, as there's fewer high-GPA transfers than freshmen.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I know it's one of the best JC's. I think it's actually in the top 5-10 in California. But in every single class, 10% of the students took school seriously, if that. It was pretty demoralizing at a certain point. At first, I felt like I must be a genius. Then I realized that everyone there was there because they didn't make it to (or couldn't afford) a 4-year school. I made friends with all the Asians (it's like 70% Asian there
). Gonna miss having all Asians in school.

But yeah, went there primarily to save cash. Also probably increased my odds of getting into a good school, as there's fewer high-GPA transfers than freshmen.

Do want

1 - 20 of 40 Posts