Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in the Bulldozer thread there are a reasonable number of AMD FX4100 users in the AMD section. I have read most of the FX4100 reviews so I do have an idea of its gaming performance and power consumption at stock clockspeeds relative to the Phenom II X4,Llano A8 and Core i3 CPUs. However,the reviews don't cover a few points with the junior FX CPU. I already have my main rig sorted,but might pick up one for a bit of mucking around with a secondary rig so this is why I want to know!

Is it possible that any FX4100 users on this forum could answer a few questions for me about the CPU??

1.)How far can you overclock the CPU using the stock cooler??
2.)What temperatures do you get and what motherboards are you using??
3.)How is power consumption when overclocked??
4.)Have any of you tried the hotfix and if so what improvements in games have you see if any?? Can anyone run some benchmarks at low resolution to see the difference it makes??

·
Frequency is Megabytes
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

1.)How far can you overclock the CPU using the stock cooler??
2.)What temperatures do you get and what motherboards are you using??
3.)How is power consumption when overclocked??
4.)Have any of you tried the hotfix and if so what improvements in games have you see if any?? Can anyone run some benchmarks at low resolution to see the difference it makes??
I can only answer the first question but AMD says you can at least overclock to 4.6GHz on Air

With the default cooler

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronx View Post

I can only answer the first question but AMD says you can at least overclock to 4.6GHz on Air
With the default cooler
Tis true, the chip I am trying to sell did 4.6ghz on air, but running prime it would go to about 58c...

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
+1 to the above related to air cooling but I believe a few chips could probrably go a tad higher on air but the exact cooler used and ambient temps figure in as well.

I know my 4100 can go above 5.3 on water and I've done just shy of 5.5 (suicide run) with it, also on water.
Mind you what I've done probrably isn't typical of many chips and as we know some will do it, some won't. It all depends on the chip itself, the cooling used and how it's tuned.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I can tell you the following:

1) My chip is probably capable of the 5ghz mark, but because of heat, my hyper212 can't keep it cool for those frequencies. So far the highest air clock I got was 4.8ghz with 1.34v

2) The board I am using is the Gigabyte 990FXA UD-5 with the F7h beta bios (to disable the dreaded APM or amd power management, I think that is the correct name of it.

3) I haven't tried the patches yet, but some of the guys I know who own the cpu said that they get like a 7% increase in gaming (average across the board stuff here)

• Rep+
Reactions: CAT-THE-FIFTH

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I would appreciate if anyone could give details of any game benchmarks before and after the hotfix was installed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSunRises View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronx View Post

With the default cooler
Tis true, the chip I am trying to sell did 4.6ghz on air, but running prime it would go to about 58c...
According to AMD the maximum temperature is 70C.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,962 Posts
I'm at 4.5 GHZ on an 890FX board, 1.46v 40'C peak stress temperature on Hyper212+ cooler, with excellent case flow and normal ambient temperatures.

Performs about on par with my Athlon II x4 at 3.2GHZ. Scores about same in AMD overdrive benchmark.

About half the CPU Physics score in 3dmark11 as my Phenom II x4.

Only about 20GFLOPS in Linx (same as my unlocked Sempron 130).

I imagine the Core i3 would beat it up badly.

• Rep+
Reactions: CAT-THE-FIFTH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick68 View Post

You will not be able to hit 5.0ghz or higher on all four cores. AMD says you will have to disable cores 3&4 in order to hit 5ghz or higher. I'm running mine at 4760mhz stable all the time 54c load with prime 31c idle on CM hyperX.
What is your voltage?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post

+1 to the above related to air cooling but I believe a few chips could probrably go a tad higher on air but the exact cooler used and ambient temps figure in as well.
I know my 4100 can go above 5.3 on water and I've done just shy of 5.5 (suicide run) with it, also on water.
Mind you what I've done probrably isn't typical of many chips and as we know some will do it, some won't. It all depends on the chip itself, the cooling used and how it's tuned.
I've got a custom loop with WAY too much radiator area with an EK Supreme HF Full Cu, so my cooling is fine.....but what kind of voltage did you use to get to 5.3GHz? Also, what are you running at now 24/7. I gave up on a stable OC and settled at stock, but I'm going to be OC'ing to at least 4GHz...hopefully 4.5GHz.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can tell you that I went from ~45fps up to ~60-70fps in Battlefield 3 after the patch. The rest of my rig is in my sig. Patch made a huge difference for me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts