Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

HIGH-TECH facial recognition technology has swept aside the old-fashioned signing of the register at a school.

Sixth-formers will now have their faces scanned as they arrive in the morning at the City of Ely Community College.

It is one of the first schools in the UK to trial the new technology with its students.

Face Register uses the latest high-tech gadgets to register students in and out of school in just 1.5 seconds.

The technology works by scanning faces with an infra-red light and matching their image with key facial features stored on a secure system.

Not only a hit with the students, who enjoy signing themselves in, the system is saving a member of staff about an hour and a half each day in recording data.

Principal Richard Barker said: "With this new registration technology, we are hoping to free up our teachers' time and allow them to spend it on what they are meant to be doing, which is teaching.

"As for the students, they love the idea of taking responsibility for their own registration and using Mission Impossible-style systems."

Hugh Carr-Archer, chief executive of Aurora, the company behind the system, said Face Register is aimed at reducing administrative duties and easing the burden on teaching staff.

St Neots Community College pioneered the system in Cambridgeshire in January.

Scott Preston, vice-chairman, said: "The system is working really well - sixth-formers and staff are pleased with the efficiency of it.

"Only today (Thursday, 05 March) we had a fire alarm test and the administration staff were able to quickly and effectively print data off from the system showing who was on site.

"We feel that with the technology, we are on top of health and safety."

For more information about the new technology, which will be available nationwide in April, visit www.facerec.co.uk

Source

*Points at an image of a tall african woman with a name tag that says "Definently not Kirmie" and says* "Thats totaly me entering school, honest. I swear I didn't skip."

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Cool. I thought it was neat when one of our dealerships started using hand scanners instead of time clocks a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL View Post
One step closer to Big Brother.
Lol, by making sure kids are where they are supposed to be? It is not the technology you should be scared of, it is the people in control of that tech.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Lol, by making sure kids are where they are supposed to be? It is not the technology you should be scared of, it is the people in control of that tech.
He means this is one more step closer to tracking everyone. Yes it is being implemented in a school, but this may be but a proving ground for the tech.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i think tracking of the students instead of just signing in is out of line. I agree with the big brother comment. If it was criminals they were making sure were where they were supposed to be, that's one thing, but these are students for christ's sake. they're paying for the school and paying for the ability to decide where they are and what they are doing even if it's skipping class.

speaking as a student, if UNT (where i go) implemented this, I would leave and move to another school.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeksMan13 View Post
i think tracking of the students instead of just signing in is out of line. I agree with the big brother comment. If it was criminals they were making sure were where they were supposed to be, that's one thing, but these are students for christ's sake. they're paying for the school and paying for the ability to decide where they are and what they are doing even if it's skipping class.

speaking as a student, if UNT (where i go) implemented this, I would leave and move to another school.
OK, you have the right to not go, but why does it make them bad for ensuring whether you are there or not? What are you trying to hide? If you choose not to go, well, don't. I don't see them forcing anyone to attend, they just want to make it easier to ensure who shows and who doesn't.

I work full time. I have to punch in and out whenever I leave/enter the building. I get paid salary, so the time I spend in and out of work is moot. the reason I need to do this is I am legally obligated to prove when I am on the clock or when I am not. (so I can't run out to lunch, get hurt and then claim I was on company time etc.) Part of my work contract is that I have to prove when my time is my employers and when it is my own. the methods they use to determine that are moot.

As you said, you have the right to drop that school and go somewhere else. I am not sure why you all have a problem with this. It is not like they are forcing anyone into doing anything. I could see if you had to scan in and out of your house, but having to do it going in and out of a place that is completely your choice is silly.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The main issue for me is that why do they need to do facial recognition? Why wouldn't just sliding your student ID be sufficient? Facial Recognition is typically for super-secure situations and being a student signing into something isn't something that needs to be super-secure or even secure at all

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeksMan13
View Post

The main issue for me is that why do they need to do facial recognition? Why wouldn't just sliding your student ID be sufficient? Facial Recognition is typically for super-secure situations and being a student signing into something isn't something that needs to be super-secure or even secure at all

Whats stopping you from having someone else swipe your card? I see your point in considering this over the top, but at the same time, thats the way tech is going. For all we know, they are getting a huge insurance break for having this. Not to mention, it is kinda a niche thing. The guy even said some students get a kcik out of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeksMan13
View Post

then if you wanted a day off, you could just give your ID to someone to swipe it for you

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb
View Post

What are you trying to hide?

You do not need to hide anything to respect your rights.

"There are none more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

However, this is no political forum- and so this is not the place.

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMarkk
View Post

then if you wanted a day off, you could just give your ID to someone to swipe it for you

It's a community college, you don't have to go if you don't want to. Your money you're wasting.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm not arguing in defense of skipping class. I'm arguing the point that it's our decision whether or not we go to class because we pay for the courses. The 'going to class' thing isn't a big issue anyways, they don't slide IDs for attendance at courses, it's mostly at football games and extracurricular stuff. Plus student ID's have a picture on them so facial recognition shouldn't be used, cause you could just compare the picture of the ID to the person holding it

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb
View Post

That's not my point, my point is what Higgins stated. Whoever this company that's offering facial recognition to this school is offering it as a testing ground for this new type of technology, as stepping stone for what's to come. You have to look at the bigger picture here. If they wanted to offer students "a easier way to sign in and sign out" a hand scan or fingerprint scan works just as efficiently.

By perfecting this technology the government will have another tool in their arsenal to monitor it's civilians activities day in day out. RFID chips, credit cards, browsing habits, communications, GPS, these are things the government will use to monitor, identify and locate a individual. This is immense power the government wields over it's citizens and we are numbingly allowing this to happen for the sake of our own security against so-called "terrorist" threats.

When faced with the fear of annihilation, the people of any nation will not merely surrender their freedoms and finances, they will beg to turn them over to any apparent "authority" who promises a solution.

dralb, it's your naiveté that allows governments to go unchecked unrestrained and by the time something happens it's already too late. Start to think outside the box. As with anything in life, there is a meaning behind every action, it's just like a game of chess and the government is one step closer to checkmate.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
/applauds OpTicaL

1 - 20 of 44 Posts