Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well our family's old-old 4MP pocket camera is really showing its age and planning on an upgrade...

and to illustrate my camera know-how: I just recently (after a friend explained what it was) found out what SLR meant. So I'd rather ask than end up with junk

I'm the primary photo-taker and the old Powershot and I didn't get along well at all. it tended to auto-focus on everything except what I was trying to snap a photo of and the options it had didn't exactly lend it to many situations except for indoor gatherings or close-up outdoors.
However, I'm not always the one behind the trigger, so a good auto-setting is a must.
  • predominant environments are outdoors and usually direct sunlight, varying distances from 10ft up to and including landscape shots
  • I'm an impromptu shot taker, if I can catch a person not ready for a cookie-cutter photo the better
  • maximum size prints would be 8x11
  • I use zoom-in alot. people are much more willing to act normally when i'm not always next to them.
but anyway. I've been suggested a good digital point-and-shoot would be a decent choice.

we've been considering a Sony DSC-H50, as it has a good set of auto features and enough manual tweaking to keep me happy, but i'm open to any and all suggestions

price range is up to probable $300-350. size is somewhat of an issue; the Sony above is probably about the max size the rest of my family would consider toting around.

any help would be appreciated. who knows, maybe i'll learn something?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestorm252
View Post

Well our family's old-old 4MP pocket camera it tended to auto-focus on everything except what I was trying to snap a photo of

Just to make sure.. you know how to do the "press the shutter halfway down while pointing the focus area (usually in the center..) at what you want in focus, then reframe the shot while holding down the button to lock focus", right?

Just checking.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by christian_piper
View Post

Just to make sure.. you know how to do the "press the shutter halfway down while pointing the focus area (usually in the center..) at what you want in focus, then reframe the shot while holding down the button to lock focus", right?

Just checking.

yup, but it takes 2-3 times letting it do its thing before it auto-focuses on what I want before i reframe the shot.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ah. Cool- got it.

So: I once had an older Sony camera- good camera! But big. (f-717)

Their issues: They run on memory sticks... SD cards are more standard, and cheaper.

My compact: Canon Powershot G9. Its an AMAZING camera for a compact... works great in sunlight especially.. and is very small. Fully manual controls if you want.. The G10 is out which means the G9 might have dropped in price. Check it out! GREAT cameras. If you want I could link you to some photos I have taken with it..
(I know you already have a canon, but seriously, the G9 is AMAZING and the G10 likely better... but expensive)

·
Registered
190 Posts
We got a DSLR camera and what we've learned is that hauling it around is not really convinient for every-use. The picture quality is superb for when we are going on trips and what-not, but for 8x10's my sisters point and click compact 6mp sony works almost as well.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well I have taken my DSLR to school even.. and it works great. But I keep my G9 in my backpack at ALL times just in case.... but the DSLR really is tons better to use.. and you have more artistic ability with one anyway.

I personally WOULD see that sony up there as being too large....

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by christian_piper
View Post

Ah. Cool- got it.

So: I once had an older Sony camera- good camera! But big. (f-717)

Their issues: They run on memory sticks... SD cards are more standard, and cheaper.

My compact: Canon Powershot G9. Its an AMAZING camera for a compact... works great in sunlight especially.. and is very small. Fully manual controls if you want.. The G10 is out which means the G9 might have dropped in price. Check it out! GREAT cameras. If you want I could link you to some photos I have taken with it..
(I know you already have a canon, but seriously, the G9 is AMAZING and the G10 likely better... but expensive)

brand's not too big a concern for us, we'll take what's good at the time

and cool, more options to consider is always good. i'll give it a look-see.

also about the memory stick thing, I agree and it's partly the reason we haven't gone out and bought one. i'm the media guy for my extended family so having to have 3-odd converters to support all the flash memory types is serious a PITA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythym
View Post

We got a DSLR camera and what we've learned is that hauling it around is not really convinient for every-use. The picture quality is superb for when we are going on trips and what-not, but for 8x10's my sisters point and click compact 6mp sony works almost as well.

ya I agree that the higher-end cameras can be bulky. our old 35mm camera was enormous, add the lens for it and you were looking at 6" depth not to mention if you wanted to add the flash. it was a beast to carry around your neck!
I'd be using it since I just can't help but tweaking things, but apparently they don't make those battery packs anymore (gonna DIY something sooner or later
). same goes for our old "over the shoulder" VHS camcorder

and on that note: what megapixel range should I be looking for? i've no idea what I should get for 8x10's (thanks for correcting my 8x11 flub haha)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestorm252 View Post
brand's not too big a concern for us, we'll take what's good at the time

and cool, more options to consider is always good. i'll give it a look-see.

also about the memory stick thing, I agree and it's partly the reason we haven't gone out and bought one. i'm the media guy for my extended family so having to have 3-odd converters to support all the flash memory types is serious a PITA.

ya I agree that the higher-end cameras can be bulky. our old 35mm camera was enormous, add the lens for it and you were looking at 6" depth not to mention if you wanted to add the flash. it was a beast to carry around your neck!
I'd be using it since I just can't help but tweaking things, but apparently they don't make those battery packs anymore (gonna DIY something sooner or later
). same goes for our old "over the shoulder" VHS camcorder

and on that note: what megapixel range should I be looking for? i've no idea what I should get for 8x10's (thanks for correcting my 8x11 flub haha)
After a certain point.. megapixels dont matter unless you make GIGANTIC prints...

The G9 I recommended- 12.1, the Nikon D60 I UPGRADED to- "just" 10. But they are much higher quality....

I suggest 6mp or larger as a rule.

And you like tweaking things? Well the reason I went for the G9 is because I COULD tweak things..

I also suggest you buy a universal memory card reader... they are SO useful. I have one in my 3.5" bay in my sig rig.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I have a like-new Nikon P80, which is similar to the Sony you linked to, that I'm about to put on eBay. I just PM'ed you about it.

Anyway, that size of camera isn't too bad to tote around. My wife and I go to Disneyland a lot and she brought it along on several trips. It was pretty easy and quick to use without being annoyingly bulky.

Edit: Whatever you get, I'd recommend getting 8-10 megapixel for 8x12 prints.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well bad news,
got home and our TV's broken. it's a rear-projection type and looks like the control board fried again, it's a $400-$500 repair job (parts + labor).

our old Powershot still works so a new camera's getting pushed down the priorities list.

thanks for the info guys. maybe in a few months i'll be asking the same questions again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts