Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can 6970 CF support eyefinity for three LCD with res: 3 x [2560 x 1600]?

Also what are there any games that can support such high resolution? Is it a waste of money?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes and no. I had some issues running games at 5790 x 1080 (3x 1080P monitors) with my lone 6990 (which is slightly lower in performance). I had to lower some of the ingame settings in things like BFBC2 (No AA), Crysis 2 (had to settle on High settings instead of Ultra with DX 11/HiRes pack), and Metro 2033 (couldn't run AA, had to lower a few settings).

Also, games like COD and some older games don't support it and you have to do manual fixes or just play on one screen. It was a waste of money to me as after a few months of playing with it, I eventually switched to one larger screen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kind of. I had 2 6970's on mine. Some games ran fine, others weren't playable at that res.

And yes, heaps of games support the resolution.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCB;15208794
Yes and no. I had some issues running games at 5790 x 1080 (3x 1080P monitors) with my lone 6990 (which is slightly lower in performance). I had to lower some of the ingame settings in things like BFBC2 (No AA), Crysis 2 (had to settle on High settings instead of Ultra with DX 11/HiRes pack), and Metro 2033 (couldn't run AA, had to lower a few settings).

Also, games like COD and some older games don't support it and you have to do manual fixes or just play on one screen. It was a waste of money to me as after a few months of playing with it, I eventually switched to one larger screen.
Thanks for the input. I think the whole eyefinity thing still needs time to evolve...

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zylonite;15208829
Thanks for the input. I think the whole eyefinity thing still needs time to evolve...
The tech is good, the issue is that there's just not enough horsepower. One 6970 will have a hard enough time pushing 1600P let alone three times that res. You're going to want to start with 3 cards.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah, it's fun when it works. It was just too much of a hassle for me to run games from. Also, randomly when fullscreen some flash videos would stretch strangely.

·
Registered
730 Posts
there was a previous OCNer here that tried quadfire 6970's with your res and it did NOT work. I would go with 2 6990s, IF you have the money. But that resolution is so awesome that playing at lower settings would be ok because it is a complete eyegasm, it truly is awesome to have one of these 2560x1600 monitors.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime850;15208897
there was a previous OCNer here that tried quadfire 6970's with your res and it did NOT work. I would go with 2 6990s, IF you have the money. But that resolution is so awesome that playing at lower settings would be ok because it is a complete eyegasm, it truly is awesome to have one of these 2560x1600 monitors.
The user who was unable to get it working made the erroneous conclusion that the crossfire bridge didn't have the necessary bandwidth to accomodate the 12 megapixels. He was and is incontrovertibly wrong, though never redacted his complaint. I've seen triple crossfire & above flawlessly push 11 & 12 megapixels with full AF & 2xEQAA. Quadfire allows maximum in game graphic settings in every or near every current title; of those, 16xAF was also operable & in 75%, so was 2-4x EQAA. Considering the incredible horsepower & GPU syncronicity required for those phenomenal rendering settings? Truly an accomplishment.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCB
View Post

Yeah, it's fun when it works. It was just too much of a hassle for me to run games from. Also, randomly when fullscreen some flash videos would stretch strangely.

I have eyefinity and a good idea is to set up 2 diff profiles with your drivers.
One is the eyefinity screen 6048x1080 (in my case)
the 2nd is 3x 1080p screens.
You switch between with a simple ctrl+alt+1 or ctrl+alt+2

The 3 separate screens allow you to expand a movie, browser, single screen program/game with no overlap to the next screen and perform the same as a single screen setup.

Switch to the eyefinity for your wide screen games with a ctrl+alt+2 adn off you go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by verbatim
View Post

I have eyefinity and a good idea is to set up 2 diff profiles with your drivers.
One is the eyefinity screen 6048x1080 (in my case)
the 2nd is 3x 1080p screens.
You switch between with a simple ctrl+alt+1 or ctrl+alt+2

The 3 separate screens allow you to expand a movie, browser, single screen program/game with no overlap to the next screen and perform the same as a single screen setup.

Switch to the eyefinity for your wide screen games with a ctrl+alt+2 adn off you go.

Hmm. That's interesting, so basically you can switch between Expanded Screens and Eyefinity Screen like that? How would I set this macro up?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I used to do that, but at times when switching, the monitors would randomly go out of order (as if it wasn't saving the settings). One of the many frustrations I had with eyefinity.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
6970 Crossfire is not enough for 2560X1600 x 3 Eyefinity. You need Quad-Fire.

I'm running 3X30'' Eyefinity without any problems. No problems with the bandwidth or the Crossfire bridges. It's working fine.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have had issues with certain games as well. With 3 2560x1600 monitors I do not see 2 6970's cutting it. You would need Tri-fire but then again I do not think most games are optimized to run at eyefinity res anyway. It is hit or miss.

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
I am having hard time with 2560 x 1440 let alone 3 1600p. You will need something like 4 x GTX580s 3GB

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
It won't max many of the new games.

Some people are not understanding how much harder 2560x1600 is to run over 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. It's almost twice as hard to run, in some games it's over twice as hard due to the way the engine works. This is why I sold my 2560x1600 monitor, it was costing me a fortune to keep games maxed at that resolution (had to upgrade GPU to top of the line every year, no exceptions).

3x 1080p vs 3x 1600p can't even be compared in terms of horsepower required. Your computer will be fine with 3x 1080p most likely - but still suffer in some really graphical games. 3x 1600p is going to destroy anything but the absolute best quadfire/quad-sli rigs, and I feel that even they will struggle on the ~5 most graphical games on the market.

It's just not logical unless can blow 4 grand a year on a computer to keep everything running decently. You won't be able to skip generations, and every generation you will have to buy 3/4 of the top of the line cards.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er;15278346
I am having hard time with 2560 x 1440 let alone 3 1600p. You will need something like 4 x GTX580s 3GB
Nah. I'm doing fine with Quad-Fire 6970, and was doing fine with 6990+6970+6970. 580 Quad-SLI is not better.

·
Meow!
8,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zylonite;15208747
Can 6970 CF support eyefinity for three LCD with res: 3 x [2560 x 1600]?

Also what are there any games that can support such high resolution? Is it a waste of money?
Running CFX on my setup with 2560x1440 is quite acceptable at high Ultra setting for the moment. But adding 2 more monitors... I would say QuadFire seriously.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts