Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
No it can't i'm afraid, can't you test it in a friends machine?

• Rep+
Reactions: DazTora

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
If you want to see whether the fan spins, you can try plugging the 6 pin into the card without plugging it into the mobo.

Or you can unplug the 3pin fan connector and somehow connect it to a molex

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1helix
View Post

If you want to see whether the fan spins, you can try plugging the 6 pin into the card without plugging it into the mobo.

Or you can unplug the 3pin fan connector and somehow connect it to a molex

Nah, it'll still need to be initialised by the motherboard. Although the fan connector to a molex or the motherboard. Oh wait no motherboard.

Also if you do manage to get it connected to the PSU you'll need to trip the PSU into turning on.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You should be able to disconnect the fan on the graphics card and put some power to it.
If your just looking to see if the fan spins.

Batteries should work shouldnt it for testing purposes. Just dont put too much power to it.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

Nah, it'll still need to be initialised by the motherboard. Although the fan connector to a molex or the motherboard. Oh wait no motherboard.

Also if you do manage to get it connected to the PSU you'll need to trip the PSU into turning on.

You do not need a motherboard to test a GPU fan. Just jump the PSU with a 6-pin plugged in and it should turn on at 100%.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
o'rly...

I thought it'd need a motherboard to initialize the GPU bios or something.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DazTora View Post
And how would one jump a PSU?
short the green wire to any black wire, its the green wire in the 24 pin connector, use anything, wire, staple, whatever it is, just gotta be bare metal

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Quote:

And how would one jump a PSU?
Take a paper clip and put one end into the connection to the green wire in the 24 pin and one in any black wire on the 24 pin.

I learned that from corsairs tech department when my tx750 was not working.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, if the gpu's fan is spinning that doesn't mean it is working, I have an old 8600gts.. the fan spins but there is no signal on the monitor so it is damaged/faulty whatever.

3,284 Posts
Quote:

I aint trying this if it will shock me or damage the card / PSU >_<
you will be fine, it won't shock you or damage the card\\psu. I have jumped my testing PSU like 1000times and Im still here

·
Registered
115 Posts
youll be fine aye, its what the motherboard does to signal the power supply to turn on, have personally done it heaps, never killed a psu doing it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts