Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened a top vent on my case, and angled a lamp about 3 ft away from it to see if a Fan i plugged in was running. I know this is most likely the dumbest question ever asked on OverClock...but is it possible for a lamp to damage a PC component from a distance? A bit curious..

·
Iconoclast
30,990 Posts
No. It's a lamp, not an explosively pumped flux compression generator.

·
Registered
376 Posts
what kinda lamp? and what kinda damage?

Short answer is no, not from ESD if they are not in direct contact. If you had a really powerful lamp that output a lot of lumens in a very direct manner (think: spotlight) you could, in theory, torch something, kinda like this
biggrin.gif

Over a long period of time you might find that plastic bits start to become brittle due to light (UV) exposure from a strong lamp but again you'd need the right kind of lamp
redface.gif

But ESD requires either a close distance or a lot of static. Lightning is a form of ESD but with HUGE charges involved. The ESD you might experience on a cold dry night walking on a carpet in wool socks has much lower power (i think, and am likely wrong, that the voltage is similar between small and large ESD but lightning has much higher amperage??).

Someone with a better grasp of electricity might be able to give you a better explanation, but basically you are more at risk of damaging your components through ESD with your own fingers than a lamp at a distance, so always make sure to "equalize" your charge with your components by touching your case (assuming its big and metal) before touching any components directly
wink.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
No damage with lamp since I use it almost all time when have to check is everything ok in my case
smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts