Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a large diameter copper wire 1cm in diameter or more and 30cm long transfer enough heat from cpu/gpu to heatsink.

I am thinking about soldering a large diameter copper wire to a copper gpu block. In the other end of wire i will solder a large flat copperpice and attach heatsink or cabinet side door to that.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i highly doubt it....and plz take another point into consideration...when u solder the surface contact isnt good so heat transfer isnt that good either...unless soldering is done professionally...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the prosedure for soldering like this, I have read about it on another forum in detail and it must be done corectly. In this case gasflame must be used to produse enough energy.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
ok...i guess u r really intent on doing this so let me get into the details...theoratically a 1cm dia copper wire attached to the heat sink would do u great goods in dissipating heat...theoratically but in practical terms it is very much dependent on the contact surface of the copper pipe to the heatsink and also the design of the copper wire heatpipe... consider that the best heat pipes are hollow and not solid...so what happens is heat is transffered thru the copper and dissipated thru the outer and consequently due to the hollow design also thru the inner wall....when u have a solid wire in the dimension u mentioned what happens is the heat has more surface are to lose heat on the outside but since it has to travel more distance thru the annulus of the wire the heat convection factor is low and therefore the period of time that is taken to lose the heat is longer....this ends up negating the benefits of the surface area arguement against the heat convection arguement...in best interest of ur money if u want to still do it try to get a hollow copper pipe instead of a wire...and if u still want to go ahead do it and let us know the result...because even i am not sure unless i actually sit down to calculate and right now my experience says its not worth it...

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
The short answer is no, you need to make a heatpipe to transfer heat long distances. Look into making your own heatpipe(s), that might work for you. It would be a great project.

·
Registered
199 Posts
actually it will sort of work....it will transfer the heat a buit but mostly it will act as a giuant heatsink and just dissiapte the heat. it could work ut not reccomended. if you ould do it i would reccomend first makeng the curved surface area rough and the bottom which attaches to your cpu perfectly smooth. then do the regular AS5 thing. reason for roughing up the copper is that it provides more surface area for the air to be in contact and let the heat be dissipated. also have a fan just blowing over it and it could work. attaching it iwll be hard and if it oes not wor DO NOT BLAME ME. this is all in theory and this is knowledgei amt aking form my physics classes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts