Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at starting my first scrap build and am working out some final details. I would like to have a sheet of acrylic mounted onto some risers and then mount the motherboard directly onto the acrylic sheet. The plan would be to place LED lighting behind the acrylic sheet to make it appear as if the motherboard is "floating".

There are a couple other ways I can achieve this with a similar effect but I like this idea due to another plan I have.

So is it safe to do this or is it better to have some space behind the motherboard for airflow to help keep it cool?

Thanks in advance

·
EhmayWuntee
1,419 Posts
Would you be using standard motherboard risers as well on the acrylic or have it sit completely flush against the acrylic?

If using the typical risers I think it will work just fine. I believe places even sell acrylic mobo trays for a testbench or custom setup and show them with the 8 or so standard motherboard risers attached.

If you are trying to get the mobo to rest directly on the acrylic I am not sure that's a great idea, plus it won't necessarily be even/flat due to parts poking out and also depending if the heat sink has a back plate.

I think you can still achieve everything you are looking for with the inclusion of the standard mobo risers and know it is safer and sturdier.

One thing to consider is to be sure the design is grounded. Perhaps the PSU being connected does that for you, but just something worth verifying.

*Edit: Here is an example of what I was talking about*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx guys for responding.. the question was regarding placing the MB directly onto the acrylic and I figured that would be the case..

Thanks again

·
professional curmudgeon
10,558 Posts
i truly don't know about the acrylic, as mentioned it may cause heating esp around the vrms/socket.

why not put the lights on the mobo itself? pretty sure using liquid electrical tape would work as adhesive with a strip of LED ribbon.

E:
what am i thinking - liquid ele. tape?!?!?

just find some double sided tape and don't go crazy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts