Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, how are you?
I am going to build a mini itx system.
At first I was thinking about building in the node 202 and use a locked Intel cpu like the 8700 with the scythe big Shuriken 2.
Then I saw the rvz01 and ftz01 that have better cooler clearance and thought on building in one and use the noctua nh-l12s as the cpu cooler and either go with an 8600k, 8700 or a 2600x.

Then I saw that the rvz01 can also fit a 120mm AIO with a single slim 120mm fan.
So I wonder if a cooler like the h55, h60 or h75 can cool an 8700k or a 2700x.

Also, how much better are they than the noctua nh-l12s?

I know 120mm AIO are generally crap outside the likes of the bequiet or alphacool ones, and if I was building on a case that supported a tower style air cooler, I would never get one...

But I am looking at a very specific scenario where I need the console form factor and so I have to work with the challenges of mini itx and careful component selection.

Can you please help me out here?

Thank you.
Best regards

Sent from my Le X821 using Tapatalk

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
H55/H60/H75 can cool an 8700K fine at stock voltage. If you plan on OCing you'll run into issues pretty quickly, but otherwise it's a non-issue.

I ran a H60 on a 4690K in a ML07B (basically a RV01 with a different fascia) for a while and it did fine.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I wouldn't build it that way but to each his own...what's going on where you need a case that small but you can fit a monitor, kb/m?
Should be safe on stock voltage but I'd imagine it will get pretty warm/loud under load unless you delid.

Edit: I thought it was the bigger node.
Since the GPU and CPU are separated the CLC might work really well...or better than using it as an exhaust lol.

I'd look up some legitimate reviews for 120s or the biggest you can fit and go from there.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't build it that way but to each his own...what's going on where you need a case that small but you can fit a monitor, kb/m?
Should be safe on stock voltage but I'd imagine it will get pretty warm/loud under load unless you delid.

Edit: I thought it was the bigger node.
Since the GPU and CPU are separated the CLC might work really well...or better than using it as an exhaust lol.

I'd look up some legitimate reviews for 120s or the biggest you can fit and go from there.
Hello,

I have a specific need of a gaming console formfactor.
So I am looking at either the node 202 or the rvz01.
This build is to go on the living room, underneath the TV, on a shelf on the TV furniture.

There won't be a standard keyboard and mouse setup.
Just an Xbox wireless controller for games and a logitech k400+ for basic windows navigation.

The real challenge I am facing is the cpu cooling.
For gpu, both cases can have two 120mm fans as intake in the respective gpu chambers and I will be using a blower gpu, so I think I am OK there.

On the cpu, the best cooler the node can fit is a cryorig c7 if I go amd or a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 if I go Intel.

The rvz01 has a bit more clearance so it can fit the noctua nh-l12s that I think is the best air cooler that fits.

Or it can also take a 120mm AIO with a single slim fan like the h55, h60, h75 or some cooler master 120mm models.
I just don't know if the AIO is worth it in this particular application or not.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I see.

Personally I wouldn't want an AIO if I had another option. I'm sure the coolers you listed will cool the CPU but I don't like the idea of a penny pinched water loop in my rig, especially with Coffee lake as many are having issues with Asetek made CLCs not giving enough pressure to receive the heat from the CPU.
In your situation I can see why you'd want to so I'd just look up some benchmarks of the coolers in question and go from there. If you use MCE the 8700k will put out quite a bit of heat for such a small space so I'd just go with the coolest of all the ones that will fit, if you don't use MCE you'll only get 4.3Ghz while running games but it'll use less power and make less heat. I feel like a stock 8700k would be enough to run about any game to the limits of your TV though.

·
:-)
254 Posts
This build is to go on the living room, underneath the TV, on a shelf on the TV furniture.
For a system that will not be looked after, go with air cooling. AIOs have come a long way but there is still a possibility of a leak. Also, cooling CPUs is not that hard unless you go for very high overclocks. I use a Noctua NH L9x65 with a 4.3GHz 4670k at 1.25V and the CPU stays under 75 celsius while gaming. For a 8700k, NH-L12 would be great for a mild overclock. Its also a downdraft cooler so will cool VRMs as well.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
If you were to go with the RVZ-01, you can use the Silverstone NT06-PRO. They were designed to be used together, and the NT06-PRO is on the level of the NH-L12 in terms of performance. Definitely a better choice than a 120mm CLC with a slim fan, or any fan for that matter.

The Node 202 is tough. It wasn't designed for high heat loads, and doesn't have great airflow. The Thermolab LP-53 is another cooler option for the 202. I got better results with it than the Shuriken 2 when I tested it.

It's a shame they discontinued the Node 605, as it would have been a great option for you. I have a pair of them with 4770K systems, one with an NH-U9s and one with an NH-D9l, and once setup they have good cooling potential. Maybe you could find some old stock if it interests you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you were to go with the RVZ-01, you can use the Silverstone NT06-PRO. They were designed to be used together, and the NT06-PRO is on the level of the NH-L12 in terms of performance. Definitely a better choice than a 120mm CLC with a slim fan, or any fan for that matter.

The Node 202 is tough. It wasn't designed for high heat loads, and doesn't have great airflow. The Thermolab LP-53 is another cooler option for the 202. I got better results with it than the Shuriken 2 when I tested it.

It's a shame they discontinued the Node 605, as it would have been a great option for you. I have a pair of them with 4770K systems, one with an NH-U9s and one with an NH-D9l, and once setup they have good cooling potential. Maybe you could find some old stock if it interests you.
Hello,

I take it from your post that your opinion is that the rvz01 is a better option compared to the node 202 because the extra clearance for the cpu cooler makes a difference.

I actually like the node 202 better in regard to the aesthetics and slimmer form factor.
But the cooling kind of worries me.
Even the locked 8700 can heat up quite a bit with multicore enhancement running.

The nt06 I think is more motherboard dependant, in regard to socket placement.
For example, the Asrock Z370 board have the socket place close to the top edge, so it can have issues.

I just don't know.

Cheers

·
PC Enthusiast
1,075 Posts
For a system that will not be looked after, go with air cooling. AIOs have come a long way but there is still a possibility of a leak. Also, cooling CPUs is not that hard unless you go for very high overclocks. I use a Noctua NH L9x65 with a 4.3GHz 4670k at 1.25V and the CPU stays under 75 celsius while gaming. For a 8700k, NH-L12 would be great for a mild overclock. Its also a downdraft cooler so will cool VRMs as well.
The problem there is that a stock 8700K will put out almos twice as much heat as an overclocked i5 4690K does.. you do actually need the surface area of an AIO and a delid. The H55 is the most flexible of the ones listed and has been sold fitted to the chassis used in the raven by OEMs in the past along with the slim 120mm fan from silverstone (steam box pc's at launch iirc).

Personally I would (and in fact did) get a delidded 8600K instead for an ITX system.. It can come so close in gaming to the 8700K and it will stay under 200W when overclocked.. which will make a huge difference to the amount of noise it will make when you game.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi,
Also saw the lp53.
It is available and I can get it with the node 202.
I don't really know the cooler, but if it performs well, the clearance and ease of installation can be a plus.
If it is better than the Shuriken it can be a great option.
From what I see online, the scythe is usually considered the better option for the node 202 on Intel cpus.

Can it effectively cool an 8700 with MCE?
Or even an 8600k with a moderate oc?

Cheers

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem there is that a stock 8700K will put out almos twice as much heat as an overclocked i5 4690K does.. you do actually need the surface area of an AIO and a delid. The H55 is the most flexible of the ones listed and has been sold fitted to the chassis used in the raven by OEMs in the past along with the slim 120mm fan from silverstone (steam box pc's at launch iirc).

Personally I would (and in fact did) get a delidded 8600K instead for an ITX system.. It can come so close in gaming to the 8700K and it will stay under 200W when overclocked.. which will make a huge difference to the amount of noise it will make when you game.
Yes, from what I read, the 6 core Intel cpus are hot!
Even the 8700 with MCE goes way, way above the 65w tdp and even without MCE it throttles hard with the stock cooler.

But I wouldn't want to delid.
Another option is amd with a 2600x that has a soldered ihs and is more inside the claimed tdp.
But cooling options for AM4 are even less and for gaming builds, Intel always comes on top...

Cheers

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Hello,

I take it from your post that your opinion is that the rvz01 is a better option compared to the node 202 because the extra clearance for the cpu cooler makes a difference.

I actually like the node 202 better in regard to the aesthetics and slimmer form factor.
But the cooling kind of worries me.
I really have no opinion between the two. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. You can do a great build in the Node 202 with an i5 8600 and really have no cooling worries. When you start talking i7 and OC, of course the RVZ01 will be a better choice.

Hi,
Also saw the lp53.
It is available and I can get it with the node 202.
I don't really know the cooler, but if it performs well, the clearance and ease of installation can be a plus.
If it is better than the Shuriken it can be a great option.
From what I see online, the scythe is usually considered the better option for the node 202 on Intel cpus.

Can it effectively cool an 8700 with MCE?
Or even an 8600k with a moderate oc?

Cheers

Can it cool an 8700 with MCE? I have no idea. :p All of my testing was done on a 4770K with that cooler, and I never tried an OC over 4.2. I would assume an 8600K with a moderate OC would pose no problem for it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really have no opinion between the two. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. You can do a great build in the Node 202 with an i5 8600 and really have no cooling worries. When you start talking i7 and OC, of course the RVZ01 will be a better choice.

Can it cool an 8700 with MCE? I have no idea. All of my testing was done on a 4770K with that cooler, and I never tried an OC over 4.2. I would assume an 8600K with a moderate OC would pose no problem for it.
I was looking at the lp53.
It looks like a great cooler.
But then I also saw some issues with the node 202.
The node 202 has a cpu cooler clearance of 58mm.
The lp53 is 53mm in height.
According to some statements, that gap makes the cooler recycle it's own hot air and not pull cold air from outside the case.

With that in mind, the cooler clearance of the rvz01 is 84mm.
In that case, I could run the lp53 and still have a 120mm fan on the case panel pulling clod air from the outside and feeding the cooler.

What do you think of this solution?
And the issue I mentioned?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts

What ciarlatano said. Air cooling in RVZ01 works well with either using motheboard side as exhaust and airflow up from motherboard and out or as intake directly into CPU cooler. All depends on how much airflow GPU needs.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,075 Posts
Also with the delid.. you could just buy a cpu from siliconlottery that has already been delidded and comes with a warrantee from them, that's what I did. You can also send in a cpu you already have and get them to delid that, but I don't think they give you a warrantee for that.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I wouldn't pay $420 for a $330 CPU just because it's been delidded. Buying the tool and TIM would cost less plus any 8700k will do 5Ghz, a few years ago we were pushing them off with a vise and people are still cutting them off with razor blades wrapped in tape so it's a pretty safe process if you're careful.

This is also going in a very small case with a small cooler, overclocking past MCE probably isn't practical for this application.

·
Cat Wrangler
477 Posts
Hello, how are you?
I am going to build a mini itx system.
At first I was thinking about building in the node 202 and use a locked Intel cpu like the 8700 with the scythe big Shuriken 2.
Then I saw the rvz01 and ftz01 that have better cooler clearance and thought on building in one and use the noctua nh-l12s as the cpu cooler and either go with an 8600k, 8700 or a 2600x.

Then I saw that the rvz01 can also fit a 120mm AIO with a single slim 120mm fan.
So I wonder if a cooler like the h55, h60 or h75 can cool an 8700k or a 2700x.

Also, how much better are they than the noctua nh-l12s?

I know 120mm AIO are generally crap outside the likes of the bequiet or alphacool ones, and if I was building on a case that supported a tower style air cooler, I would never get one...

But I am looking at a very specific scenario where I need the console form factor and so I have to work with the challenges of mini itx and careful component selection.

Can you please help me out here?

Thank you.
Best regards

I think it was the youtuber now known as "Bitwit" who did a Node 202 build when the case first came out, and fit in a 120mm rad. He had to do some cutting IIRC, but it all fit. I haven't seen that video in a few years, but you might want to check through his videos (I'm pretty sure it was him).

·
Cat Wrangler
477 Posts
Here ya go: "Challenge Accepted: Liquid Cooling in the Fractal Node 202!?" (April 13, 2016)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Please don't double post. It's really annoying when you look at your subs.

·
Cat Wrangler
477 Posts
I wouldn't pay $420 for a $330 CPU just because it's been delidded. Buying the tool and TIM would cost less plus any 8700k will do 5Ghz, a few years ago we were pushing them off with a vise and people are still cutting them off with razor blades wrapped in tape so it's a pretty safe process if you're careful.

This is also going in a very small case with a small cooler, overclocking past MCE probably isn't practical for this application.
Tape? I used a Stanley utility knife razor blade. No need for tape. Granted, I don't think I would do it again with a razor, I wasn't scared of cutting the hand holding the razor, but I was concerned I could cut my other hand or damage the $330 CPU that I had just bought because the AssRock fried a VRM and forced me to get a new CPU and a motherboard not by them. Now you can get a delid tool for $40 commercially, or less if you have a friend with a 3D printer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts