Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this old 4850 I gave to my best friend. He's been using it for I'd say a year now.

Anyways, we were on vent and every time he would speak it was really loud. So I told him it sounded like he was on an airplane. He replied with "Uhhh... My graphics card is 106c right now".

So I told him to reseat it, blow any dust out/clean it and increase the fan speed. He cleaned the dust out, and it was still really really hot. When he increased the fan speed he said it started to rattle loudly. So he took a gigantic box fan to his computer, and the temperature dropped from the 100s to the mid/high 70s. I told him to quickly touch it and see if maybe it's an incorrect sensor, he said it wasn't "that" hot. So the sensor is probably dead too.

TL;DR... This card is on its way out. I would have just replaced the TIM, but the fan is rattling very very loudly... and I'm not sure what to do about that.

I don't think it's still in warranty, so can and will Asus do anything if I give them a call?

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, he used a can of compressed air and reseated it. I also told him to increase the fan speed and he told me the fan was rattling really badly. When I told him to check to see if the sensor was bad, he said the card was really hot. I guess that means the sensor is dead and is also reporting incorrect temperatures. Because I don't think you'd safely be able to touch a GPU at 106c without getting mildly burned.

Either that or he touched it for a split second.

·
OG AMD
9,023 Posts
Tell him to pull the clip of the shaft of the fan and remove it.Regrease the shaft re-install,making sure he pushes down firmly on the fan.If it still spins it aint dead.

(that is-if he can get to the fan)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.